There goes my Ti-10....Help needed...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Doublebie, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Doublebie

Doublebie Regular Member

We are all familiar with broken racquets which are cause by numerous reasons. But have anyone experienced with 'separation' of Yonex racquet? What I mean by 'separation' is that the handle separates from the main body(shaft and head). Am I the one in 100000000000000 of Ti-10 users who suffer from this kind of thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what happened to me today. The main body basically flew away from my hand when I was going for a smash. I have never experience anything like this before moreover the racquet is less than 1 year old XD. Is there any 'warranty' from Yonex for this kind of situation? So, I'm wondering is it wise to send my racquet to Yonex Sunrise? If so, do I send it myself or ask the shopkeeper, whom i bought my racquet from,to help me send it? Buying a new racquet will definitely not be my priority (or should I buy:rolleyes::rolleyes:) because I lost a racquet maybe due to defects and the racquet is quite new.. Hope you guys can spare me your 2 cents..

thanks

2. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    First you should bring it back to the shop where you bought it from, ask them to send it back to Yonex for warranty. It won't hurt to try.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, that sure as hell looks like a defect rather than anything you've done to the racquet.
    if they won't let you claim a new racquet, i'd try to get it glued back somehow.

4. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

If your shop wont take it back, dont worry you can still glue it and itll be pretty close to normal. It will cost you under $10 usd in supplies. This isnt necessarily a defect. It happens to some rackets depending on use. If you ever shake your racket and hear squeaking from the cone area, its because your shaft is coming loose.

1) Take some sand paper, roll it up, and shove it down the hole, twist and sand as best you can, some medium 400 grit paper will be good. Also sand down the shaft that was inside the handle. What you want to do, is clean and prepare the surfaces you are about to glue. Ideally you want graphite only on the shaft end, and wood only on the handle. Additionally if you can get that nose cone loose this would help you keep the next part clean and tidy.

2) Dont insert yet! Measure! I reccomend measuring the over all length you want your racket. You get the ability to adjust it at this point. Check online for what the total length of your racket should be. Even among the same racket, you will have different lengths. You can also eye ball how far deep you think you need to reinsert the shaft but its not so accurate.

3) Get some epoxy. I dont mean super glue or white glue, i mean 2 part epoxy. Mix up about a table spoon, you want to put some down the handle, and some on the shaft.

4) Put 'em together. As I said earlier if you have the nose cone off, slide it up the shaft towards the head/face. Put some epoxy down in the hole, and some on the shaft. I reccomend inserting at this point, but pulling it back out to check coverage. Add more epoxy as needed and then make your final insertion. Twisting helps even out coverage.

5) Add some epoxy on the cone part of the handle and put the nose cone back in place. Make sure everything is straight and let it dry over night. Should be good as new in 24 hrs. I did this before with a cheaper racket, but it was still graphite/wood so there shouldnt be any difference. If I recall correctly, i extended that racket length a few mm.

5. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

it looks like his pin insdie broke or the wood cracked causing the pin to come off

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, the safe way is to strip down to the handle, fix that first before reattaching shaft to handle

7. illusionistpro

the pin is relatively nothing compared to the glue/epoxy. It does help but considering the cross section of a pin is a few millimeters versus the holding power of a glue which is several hundred if not thousand pounds. If I had to secure something, choosing between a 1cm pin or a 2 ton epoxy. Id choose my glue :) smells great too ;) When I think of it that way, why is the pin even in there? I bet manufactures could save a couple hundred or thousand dollars in manufacturing if they didnt use it. Seems a little worthless to me.

and yes, dont forget to fix your handle which is probably cracked and why the shaft came out.

8. allanQ

allanQ Regular Member

logistics
    happened to me once many moons ago .. it was a carb 8 .. hahaha
    i glued it back using super glue i think ... never came off again after that
    in fact i thought it played better after i re-glued as i had better feel and contact with the shuttle :p

9. Doublebie

Doublebie Regular Member

Thanks for the fast response. I will definitely send it back to the shop.. If they don't except it then I will have no chance but to glue it back.. This will probably be my first time doing this and thanks illusionistpro for writing a guide on how to do it.. So, we'll see how it goes..

10. imako1986

imako1986 New Member

You sounds a lot like some1 who do gundam models or figures XD

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I tried once fixing my old AT700 myself.The condition is almost that same as u.In my case,the wood under the cone is broken,so,it made some noises when hitting the shuttles.I then took the entire racket body off the original wood grip,and took another racket's grip,which is still in the good shape, to replace the older grip.The process is about like what they have explained to u.Of course,Try to claim for the yonex warranty is still a priority before u did any experiments to ur racket.

12. Doublebie

Doublebie Regular Member

I have sent the racquet back to the shop. They it would take around 1 month as they have to send it to Yonex and so on.... I'm just wondering what's the probability that I can claim Yonex warranty..? Will they be able to change a new racquet for me? 1 month is loooooong.....

13. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

There is a super old thread by Kwun who showed steps for fixing this problem. May my beloved ti-10 rest in peace.

14. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I think someone should record a video of how to fix it, I have the similar problem with my first gen Ti-10, where clicking noise is bothering me.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In this case I would be confident. This breakage wasn't caused by overtension or abusive play - indeed, how could you have gotten inside the cone and separated the shaft?

Yonex don't like being ripped off, but in my experience genuine claims usually get results; our club has had three out of three submissions successful during '08. If the racket is submitted with the strings in the frame (and tensioned within their limits) so much the better.

16. ictus

ictus Regular Member

Toughest part is to find a broken racquet of the same make, model and grip size. You can do with a handle from a different racquet, but it will take more time to prep and to fit the handle to be the same as the original. The other tough step is to make the handle opening centered when you have to drill out the old shaft on the donor handle. Once you have these 2 steps covered, you can put the new handle on in less than 10 minutes.

17. illusionistpro

Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find! Ok i put together a picture tutorial. Im actually making a training tool with a weight attached to the end vs the racket head so the tutorial will be slightly off from what you will be doing, however there is still the shaft thats been removed from the handle and its being reinserted back in. Im too lazy to compile and type it right now, but i'll have it posted later this week. Stay tuned!

18. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21123

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nice job. Very detailed description.

I remembered that was talking to this local player, and he fixed his racket with the similar way. Only difference is he was using Gorilla glue (assume also belongs to epoxy family). He also mentioned something like #4, about "twisiting" or "inserting", to let glue further evenly spread within the handle. Not sure how long the racket longed him after the repair, though. :rolleyes:

20. ictus

ictus Regular Member

If the handle is already split like in Kwun's post, I would suggest replacing it with an intact handle from another broken racquet. Epoxy is strong, given enough surface area, but the cone tip is small and that part of the handle takes a lot of stress from each stroke. After awhile, it might split again and give you the clicking noise. Your don't have to worry about the shaft falling out again, but for some people, like me, the clicking noise will drive you insane. :)