Normal wear and tear?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by meteoflare, Feb 21, 2009.

1. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    Ever since I've switched to Yonex shoes, it seems that my shoe lifespan is tanked... Normally my shoes would last around 9-12 months but the 100SHB-LTD's have lasted 4 months and <2 months. :crying:

The left side seems like normal wear and tear from lunging but both right shoes have holes. My footwork is decent, but I kick off with my right foot exclusively when I smash. (habit from basketball I guess) Would my shoe lifespan increase if I jump with both feet?

I'm going to try kason shoes this time since I can't afford to keep replacing these guys every other month... :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Simple questions you need to ask and take simple precaution.

1. How heavy are you?
    2. Do you wear socks?
    3. Is the fitting of the shoe correct? (you need to able to fit of your thumb between the heel and the shoe)
    4. Do you wear your shoes only in court? (do not jog or run with your shoe outside court)
    5. If you play everyday, rotate your shoes (need 2 pairs or more)

That's about right, shoes last about +/- 1 year. 4months is a bit premature.

#2 Badmintan, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. ice man

ice man Regular Member

I had SBH 100 that lasted me 3/4 month, using them 2/3 times a week, and at the end the rubber sole was gone, I could see the white inner sole... I mostly play in a sport room designed for tennis, with abrasive floor. I took asics gel rocket as a replacement, got them for one month, and the rubber sole is already destroyed ! So I really think that it mostly depends on which kind of floor you play..

PS: Which shoes would you recommend me ?

4. pickles8768

pickles8768 Regular Member

tennis coach
    a floor desinged for tennis:eek::eek::eek: maybe if you want your shoes to last you should get some tennis shoes, get the nike vapor V, their very low to the ground and would be good badminton shoes,their light.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think you need to tell us how many hours you play a week, rather than how many times as that's a better indication.
    do you wear those shoes for anything else?

6. ice man

ice man Regular Member

I play between 4 and 7 hours a week, and I wear my shoes only in the sport room

7. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

well, its actually a good indicator of your footwork, i guess. as for durability, i say that yonex shoes have some of the best. maybe your footwork is very hard, or you play a lot. its all explainable.

as for kason, if you are going to try. think about the GS- 92.

#7 jymbalaya, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Harder rubber = better durability and less traction
    Softer rubber = better traction and less durability

Choose your shoes according to your need : )

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Having tears on the inside of your non-racquet foot is a sign of good footwork, not out there...I dunno why your shoes would be ripping like that.

10. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

just wondering......... r they authentic Yonex shoes? I seem to have the same problems with my Yonex shoes. the 1st ones i brought was shb-(50 something. can't quite remember. a 2006 model, white/black/red in color) from a local dealer and they lasted me quite a long time, at least well over a year and I use to play 3ish times a week average. 2hr sessions. then later on, i ordered my other Yonex shoes from "authentic" online stores (not ebay) my shb100MX lasted less than a year (although i still wear looks quite similar wear to same spot) and my shb 80's which i'm wearing atm r starting to show, and i've only had little over a month. and i've cut down to only 2 days of badminton a week.

i've thought that maybe the later model Yonex shoes have that thinner layer/area where there is foot drag (especially for forward lunging), hence wears slightly quicker? as opposed to the older Yonex models/designs that seems like more durable leather maybe?

LOL....... most of my right shoes are almost perfect condition and my left shoes all look like second-hand shoes :p

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Well the highlighted/underlined part right there would answer your question as to why it would be destroyed so fast it would explain why it was "sanded" smooth. But yeah that damage would be due to the type of floor you play on since a floor designed for tennis is way more abrassive than a badminton court. cause the tennis surface is rough and well basically acts as sand paper to your shoes as compared to a regular gym floor which is smooth and offers grip but not of a damaging type. also tennis courts dont offer as much "bounce" effect that a badminton court/gym would offer either so that would take a toll on your legs.

to the origional poster meteoflare i get the same on my non racquet foot (left foot) because of pushing off and all that stuff too and the hole on your non racquet foot is normal from footwork too (just i dont get that extream of a smooth part just a small part near the top). i cant explain how you have the same wear pattern on your racquet foot though i cant think of many shots that will force you to drag your racquet foot in that matter with the exception of moving to the side of the court to defend smashes that is one of the only times where you will drag your racquet foot on the side when your going to your backhand side if you lunge with your non racquet foot. but that seems pretty extream to have that much wear on it, are you really heavy with your footwork (dont mean that your big) just mean that when your moving around like do you really put your feet down hard and put alot of force on the shoes when you lunge?

#11 smash_master, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  12. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    1. 82kg @186cm
    2. always wear socks
    3. i have slightly wide feet so I'm kind of in between two sizes that both don't fit me perfectly..:rolleyes:
    4. only wear them on the court
    5. I play 3-4 times a week, 3-4 hours per session

Oh, to avoid confusion, I'm right handed, and the top pic shows 2 left side shoes and the bottom shows 2 right side shoes. I kept the old pair so that I could compare the wear on my new pair. I play on Yonex badminton mats.

Well... I am a little fatter this season since my body fat rose from 10 to 15% because of christmas foods... but two months seems a little harsh even if I am a little fatter :crying:

I'm trying out the kason gs99's which seem a little thicker so hopefully more durability.

13. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    If your playing 4-7 Hours and thats the damage, maybe its just something wrong with your footwork. Don't get me wrong, my footworks horrible :) I used to make the same damage to my shoe cause of foot drag. Just a lil something you can consider.

14. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Just use 2 regular pairs of shoes, it will definitely last you longer. Rotate every alternate days.

Maybe try the Asics shoe as some folks [eg California's DinkAlot, he's no lightweight :eek: I gather] claim it to have better durability and shock absorption.

Cheers