Hurt my legs and JV tryouts are tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Arcanum, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Arcanum

Arcanum New Member

So, I'm around beginner/intermediate level. I can hit the birdie well, and I'm in pretty good physical condition. I'm not tall, nor short; for my age, at least. I am 16 years old.

I've been doing some pretty extreme leg exercises, been working on my quads, my calfs, my ankles, all of my leg muscles. Mind you that I was using extremely heavy weights, and need at least two days to recover after a workout.

But today I find out that JV tryouts are TOMORROW and I just worked out yesterday with heavier weights than usual. My legs are aching and they will still be pretty sore by tomorrow.

Has anyone here ever been in a similar dilemma? Any advice? Stretches, foods, anything that will help.

I was also wondering if I should take protein before the tryout to improve my game a little. Any advice on that would be awesome.

Thanks.

2. mtr1993

mtr1993 Regular Member

school
    I'm by no means an expert but sounds like you need to do a cool down eg. light stretching, to minimize the stiffness for your game tomorrow.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I'd love to hear what the smart folks have to say for the crampy overuse muscle pain before the event. During the event make sure you gently stretch so they don't re-cramp.

Re: protein drinks before the tryout, don't bother. What is your body supposed to do, take the protein and instantly make bigger stronger muscle fibres in a few hours?:rolleyes:

If the tryouts are long and arduous, you may consider a more carbohydrate based meal. The energy in carbs is more quickly available to your body. But of course, don't eat a big meal right before...you'll be sluggish.:(

Lastly, make sure that you are well hydrated....and that isn't something you can catch up on in a few hours. Make sure you always drink the proper amount of water each day. (but in DUbai you already know that) Good luck.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, the smart thing to do is give yourself some rest before a big event, as opposed to adding more fatigue to your body with an extra hard workout. Typically I'll look at my calendar, figure out the key competitions and plan practice intensity backwards from there taking into account how much rest and recovery I think I'll need.

Other than that, just eat a lot of food and get a lot of sleep. Maybe get a massage or do some self-myofascial release. I wouldn't recommend doing much stretching just before a competition, but make sure to do active joint mobility exercises just to get the blood flowing in the area.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

also, ask your coach for a few days, and cite the injury. unless your coach is a total mean person, he should allow you some rest and rehabilitation. then, do the advice above. that stuff really helps.

6. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Eat lots of Carb before the big day. And get more sleep as sleeps helps to recover your muscle aches. The other method is to find ointment that soothes the muscular pain.
    Voltaren cream comes into mind.