Racket over the net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 12etsam, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    can u put ur racket over the net?
    someone dropped on me and he put his racket over and when i hit the birdie up, it just bounced right back down...
    i hope u guys understand what i mean

2. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    No. That is fault. That's called overreaching.

3. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

if the shuttle hits his racket on his side of the net, then its ok. but if it hits on ur side of the net then it is a fault.

if he has his racket slightly over ur side, and you hit the shuttle, but it hits the net, then its his point (i think). as the shuttle has not touched his racket on ur side.

4. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Wouldn't it be a fault as soon as his racket crossed over the net? I thought the racket could only break the plane of the net on the follow-through.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

you're wrong dave, your racquet is allowed to be over the net, so long as you strike the shuttle on your side of the court.

13.4 if, in play, a player:
    13.4.1 touches the net or its supports with racket, person or dress;
    13.4.2 invades an opponent's court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker's side of the net;
    13.4.3 invades an opponent's court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted; or
    13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net; 13.4.5 deliberately distracts an opponent by any action such as shouting or making gestures;

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/#13

i think you owe me a point for one of our previous games!
    :)

6. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

So if i smash and go wildly over the net (after hitting shuttle) it's legal? sweet if so cos i always play drops when i can't get enough room for a smash follow through.

7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    I don't think we're looking at which side of the court the shuttle is being hit...
    i think this crucial point this guy's asking is that whether it's illegal to put up his racket near the net to 'block' returns. I believe the rule states that if the racket's stationary it's a fault. But if it's hit thru the course of a forward movement then it's not.

But as far as real matches are concerned it's all up to the umpire, and usually it's not a fault.

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

No.
    Read the rules again. The 'initial' contact of the shuttle should be on your side of court; it's the 'follow through' that's allowed to be on opponent's side. This is to prevent 'active invasion of space'.

Back to the case in point, he can't put his racket on your side of court, waiting to block a return. He can 'tap' on his side and follow through to your side.

The rule follows common sense. Each player should have a fair chance to play a shot, which means there should be enough space. 'Enough space' is defined by the net here. The particular maneuver not only violates the rule, it can lead to unnecessary racket clash/breakage (he tries to block, you try to lift when shuttle is close to net). I would warn the other side not to do that again, or refuse to play with one.

9. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Or you can speed up your pace and net kill his slow drop, so this won't occur at all. Watch how LD did this to LCW in 2008 Olympic MS Gold match.

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    haha yea i know about that rule. what i meant was the thread starter is asking about a different thing... about a 'block' that is hit in his own court. that's how i interpreted his post anyway:eek: