BG65 or BG66

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SmashingTime, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SmashingTime

SmashingTime Regular Member

Is BG65 or BG66 a better string to choose in terms of power and durability? I'm trying to find a good string, as my recent strings have broken very quickly... :crying:. I play doubles, and try to attack as much as possible, so... opinions please? Thank you. :)

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    BG65 for durability, or BG66 for power.
    BG80/85 for a balance of the two.

Suggest you read Dinkalot's post on the subject, which has been stickied.

3. SmashingTime

I did glance over his post, but I would like to know about a couple more specific things.

If I play about 2 hrs, twice a week, how long should BG 65 and BG 66 last me?

How is the power of BG 65 compared to BG 66?

And how is the durability of BG 66 compared to BG 65?

Appreciate any comments. Thank you.

4. Fluxe

Fluxe Regular Member

If you are an advanced player who always hit the sweetspot, then definitely go for BG 66 as it could probably last you a month or more at 27lbs. If you find yourself breaking BG 66 very often, then go for BG 65 (although I would suggest BG 80). I find BG 65 too durable, so much so that I have to cut it myself after the tension dropped.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    That's odd, I'm sure I posted in this thread a while a go.

Anyway, I can't tell you how long BG-66 will last. Only you are able to find the answer to that. However, I can tell you it will last a considerably shorter amount of time than BG-65 (however, BG-65 looses tension very quickly so you don't want it to last that long). If you've broken a lot of strings recently and want to save money, I'd advise against going for BG-66.

BG-66 provides much better power, feel and hitting sound than BG-65. This is due to the thinner gauge. As I said above above, most people find BG-66's durability to be pretty poor but like the performance it gives. When considering BG-66, you must decide how much you love the performance and whether you have a problem with: restringing every fortnight? Restringing every week? Restringing after every badminton session? If you've no problem with those, BG-66 is a great string.

6. SmashingTime

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm seeing a lot of people say that BG-65 will lose tension very quickly.

How does losing tension affect me hitting the shuttle? What type of effects will I feel, and will my accuracy be off due to the loss of tension?

How long does tension for BG-65 usually hold?

If I string it at a slightly higher tension, as compared to my normal one, will the higher tension slowly drop to my normal tension?

Also any opinions on BG-65Ti and BG-68Ti as compared to BG-65 and BG-66?

Thanks once again.

7. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    BG-65 will hold tension if you pre-strech it . before you string it .

if you worry about losing tension some people string it one lb more than what they use.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    For crank, double or triple pull per string :mad:. For drop weight, just let it sit there under tension for more than ten seconds and adjust as often as required :(. For electronic, just watch TV and let the computer do the calculation :cool:.

9. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    hahahaha that is why i love the Wise Tennis Head it has constant pull and Pre-strech build in.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    66 can lose tension just as fast as 65, if not faster.

11. SmashingTime

So, if BG-66 actually does lose tension as fast as BG-65, would it be wiser to choose BG-66?

Is the BG-66 more powerful than the BG-65?

Also, how does the string losing tension affect my hitting and accuracy?

Thanks.

12. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    well just string it with BG66 .. you will have to find out yourself ... there is alot of factor involve .. the stringer , the way the stringer string .... the racket tthat it's going to be on .... too many factor.... in play.

where you at ? is strining that expensive?

13. SmashingTime

Haha, yes, stringing is very expensive actually where I am at.

There is only really one shop people know of nearby that is willing to string badminton racquets. That's the reason they probably charge USD30 for stringing (USD20 for service and USD10 for Yonex string). Since I am a college student now, USD30 is a lot of money to me. That's why I'm asking all these questions before I make my decision. :)

14. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

post where you are and people will help you to find a stringer. that is way too expensive and outrageous.

15. SmashingTime

Yea, I agree. One of my badminton buddies broke her string last week and got it strung for $30... I just broke my string last weekend and will probably wait until I can get a cheaper stringer.

Btw, I am in a suburb close to Boston right now. I sincerely appreciate it if anyone can tell me any reasonable-priced stringing services in Boston. Thank you.

Also, can someone please explain to me how loss of tension affects my hitting? Thanks.

16. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

hmm boston i need to figure out as well since i'm moving to states soon and boston is one of the areas.

17. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    pre stretching BG 65 definitely helps... i had mine done at 22*24 Lbs after having it pre stretched... been playing for close to 2 months nw.... no loss of tension if u ask me...

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From your profile, you seems play with plastic shuttles more often. If that's the case, I will not go with BG66, for obvious durability concern. If you really do not like BG65, BG80 should be the better alternate, with its overall performance.

19. SmashingTime

Thank for your opinions on the topic.

Also, LazyBuddy, how is BG80's power compared to BG66 and durability compared to BG65? Is it the best option for power and durability? If there are better Yonex strings than that, please do recommend me them. Price really doesn't matter as I would rather pay more for stringing my racket with a good string once, than multiple times with a subpar string.

I've also just heard of BG85 and Nanogy 95. Can someone give me a comparison of these to BG80 please? Appreciate it. Thanks.

#19 SmashingTime, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  20. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    BG-80 is more durable than 66 and more powerful than 65. It represents the middle ground of Yonex strings. It has a Vectran coating so you should string it at a tension 2Lbs lower than normal.

BG-85 has the same Vectran coating as BG-80. It's thinner, making it more powerful than BG-80 (perhaps still not as powerful as BG-66) but less durable.

Nanogy 95 is the second most powerful Yonex string (second to Nanogy 98). It represents immense power and very good durability. It holds tension well but lacks feel. If you want all conquering power, go for Nanogy 95 but bare in mind you will compromise your feel of the shuttlecock.

BG-70 is the best choice for plastic shuttles. It has good power (better than BG-65) and excellent durability.