racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lazefire, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lazefire

lazefire Regular Member

Student
    i am a newbie, tat jus joined BC. My Primary racket just broke, that is the Kason Legerity l6, Now i am looking for a 5U racket too. In threads and the internet, i found out that the Karakal SL70 and Mtec70 are the lightest rackets in the world.
    I decided to get the:
    1. Karakal Mtec70
    2. Yonex NBG95, strung at 24lbs.
    3. Karakal PU Super Grip.

Would u recommend it if:

I am a 13yr old "advanced" boy, 1.5m and 35kg, that likes light rackets. For overshots from the baseline, i would hit till the middle of the other court. For drops, my accuracy and strength is quite good. Netting, quite good. But for lifting, i am quite weak for lifting.
    My agility speed is good. I want to get it strung at 24lbs because i realise that i need to improve on my shots. I like smooth, soft and i do not like overgrips, because i do not have a big hand and it will add weight to the racket. I care more about my performance with it and i sweat averagely. I often play 3-4 times a week and i am a serious player. I am a player that uses all the shots. But i use mostly drop shots. I do not have a budget.

Would u recommend me buying these items according to my statement? If you do, Please help me find out or tell me what shops in Eastern Singapore that sells these items. Thx in advanced.

Regards,
    LazeFire.

2. ronyyk76

ronyyk76 Regular Member

FYI: I can assure you that Karakal is not the lightest in the world, I knew as I used to own one.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'd suggest stringing at much lower tension. It's more important you have the power to clear to the back of the court first - you can worry about accuracy later. Not having a deep clear is a *huge* weakness.
    I also think you're probably wasting your money on NBG95, but that's up to you.

If you still can't clear deep at a lower tension, you could always try adding a little weight to the racket. Buying a whole new racket should be a last resort.

I don't really know anything about grips. I've only ever needed to replace the factory grip on one of my rackets (I bought one made by Prince, and it still looks perfect 3 years on).

4. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    It sounds like you think that having a really light racket, a really thin string, and a really high tension will be beneficial. If this is your personal preference from experience, then fine, go for it. MY opinion is that you are going to find the karakal too light (you won't be able to transfer momentum to the shuttle) and that you are going to find the string job too tight and slippery (you are going to have even more trouble clearing, and your net game is going to deteriorate.) Your grip chioce is entirely up to you, but I wouldn't discard the possiblility of using overgrips unless you have tried them before and didn't like them, for whatever reason.

So, my opinion is (and this is only my thoughts, I don't know you personaly and have never seen you play):
    1. get a headheavy(er) racket, 80-90grams
    2. get it strung with BG-65 or similar, at no more than 21lbs
    3. get whatever grip you want. PU is a fine choice, very tacky, if that's what you want.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

agreed. finding a light racket will not be that beneficial.
    try out some 'heavier rackets', it wont hurt. I recommend you looking into the TSF Glory series, they have some decent rackets there. As for string tension, think about a pound or two lower at least, in order to give more smash power.

6. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Try 4U apacs and head light/balanced head at Simei/bras plaza. They are within your budget(about $60). If you still intend to look for 5U then fischer has it at Parkway Parade Galasport or Queenway basement store for about$120 or so.

7. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Sorry Parkway Parade store is Gallen not Galasport.

8. what07

what07 Regular Member

Clearing from base to middle isn't so great. A really light racquet will probably make it worse since you can transfer your energy effectively. Sure a light racquet makes you swing and react quicker then a 3U but you should probably try a 4U. If you played at 24lbs then go for it but if not then try a lower tension.

drop2it Yonex NBG95 isn't that thin. [0.69mm] that's just 0.01 mm from BG-65. BG-80 for life!

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I think it is fatal. Most 13 y.o. players here (.sg) who are competitive (even the girls) can clear full base.

10. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    what07, right you are, NBG95 is indeed only 0.01mm from BG65. I was merely trying to point out one more example that the typical "best" equipment combo (ie light racket, thin string, high tension) might not be worth the monetary cost to every player. In feeble defence of my post, I will say that the spread of ALL of Yonex's strings is just 0.04mm, from BG66 (0.66mm) to BG65 (0.70mm). I'll also say that lazefire will likely notice no difference from NBG95 to BG65, except for the difference in price:)

11. stuck

stuck New Member

Government
    i'm also wanna know the different between armortec n arcsaber? can i ask here?