knee/ankle support.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Amy, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Amy

Amy Guest

Knee injury

I twisted my knee while playing badminton. My knee is still
    not very comfortable yet. Any body has the same experience before? Can I play again? Am I prone to injury again? All
    suggestions are highly appreciated.

Amy

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    How serious?

How serious was your injury???
    You should do a lot of walking to help strengthen the joints again, along with an excercise where you sit on a flat surface, preferrably something solid... and lift your leg up slowly, to a straight position... and slowly lower your leg again... practice this slowly, as I'm not a qualified physician... I can't recommend my techniques... even though I considered taking pre-med before I entered post secondary...
    Anyways... there are knee braces out there which you can purchase they help to isolate your knee joints, and act as supports, to help you become more mobile with less pain, however... if your prognosis from your doctor was that serious, I suggest you take his/her advice, and just take it easy for now.
    I have to take cod liver oil pills for my bones, because I slept funny on my shoulder a while back, and it affected my badminton strokes... :(
    but I'm ok now, as long as I use proper technique... but that's beside the point...
    Hope you get well soon, and get back on the court!
    Take care.

3. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Re: Knee injury

Do not continue playing as it will worsten the situation. So take a few days rest and has a good sleep then ur knees will recover and next time, remember to warm up. Good knee training or drillscan made ur knees stronger when playing so as to avoid been injured again. :- )

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: How serious?

i second on the knee brace. it really does help.

5. Amy

Amy Guest

Thanks for your advice. My knee is fairly seriously hurt.
    I have been resting for quite a while, but still not
    back to the normal. I am using knee brace now. I took
    MRI and the result shows that there is a tear on my
    miniscus. Doctor told me that I have to take a surgery
    to fix the tear. I am not in favour of doing it yet.
    I am seeking some ways to exercise it and see how it goes.

Amy

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Re: Knee injury

I had an knee injury a while ago while i was playing soccer. I twisted my knee and it felt incredibly uncomfortable. Unfortunately it was on my right leg. Because i'm right handed, it gave me some problems.

Resting...... agreed, make sure to flex your knee several times after long periods of sitting. This will help to relax the muscles a little.

I wore a knee support for about a month after the injury because i was afraid to injure myself again.

I don't believe your prone to injury again but it will be easier to injure your knee again. Like when you sprain an ankle. Its sprains very easily in future injuries.....

7. Dr Harry

Dr Harry Guest

R.I.C.E.

Rest: if you've torn a tendon or ligament, the only thing you can do is to give yourself time to mend. They will mend themselves, but even a small amount of exercise can make the damage much worse. Complete rest is needed, especially for tendon sheaf damage.

Ice: this will reduce the swelling and increase recovery time. Make sure you put something on the skin (like a thin towel) before you apply ice. And don't keep it on the whole time, best is 15 mins on, 10 mins off, and repeat.

Compression: again, this reduces swelling. Massage the sides and back of your knees as often as you can, especially last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Elevation: keep your knee raised above your heart if you can when resting, i.e. lie down with your leg on a pile of books or a stool.

You can also get a lot of anti-inflammatory over the counter drugs these days. Ibuprofen, acetominophen and paracetomol are all good and effective, paracetomol is probably the cheapest. Be careful not to take too much as all 3 can damage your stomach lining.

An elastic strap (make sure it is tight) around the knee when you do have to walk will take pressure off your ligaments.

8. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Re: R.I.C.E.

WOWW!! we have a doc here. Wat dr harry say is right. I dun noe if u noe that when some of these Chinese often goes to these chinese patholo... so the man will juz push ur bone to fix back or help u to massage it and worst is that some put some kind of weird looking can stuff on ur knee but good is that it recover shortly and doesn' t have any side effects. I am not sure how true it is but my grandma often go to these doctors.

9. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Thanx doc!!!! Now at least i know how to treat my messed up knee......

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

If your knee is truly messed up, you had better seek an Orthopaedic Surgeon with an interest in Sports Injuries.

11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

It does occasionally. I'm not sure if anyone has this problem as well. But on my right foot. The little bone that sticks out on the left. Not the ankle bone but the one on the side of the foot itself hurts. I think that has something to do with me spraining my ankle before. But about my knee, i don't know. I twisted it once and it hurts occasionally. But i'll survive......

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Eww... I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I'd really hate to see you injure the knee anymore.
    Take heed in your doctors advice, and just find out what the reprocussions are for taking the surgery, I know some people who live with injuries for most of their lives, however those people live in pain. :(
    I'd rather have them get all better, so they can be normal again.
    Best of luck to you in surgery, and you've got my support.
    Go Amy! :)

13. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Should you need the surgery Amy...... Good luck and i hope it all goes well.....

Byron

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ankle support.

looking for some ankle support for strengthening purpose. i am trying to make sure that the ankle area is well supported to prevent injuries.

from what i have seen in the market, there are basically 2-3 types of ankle supports, some serious looking ones with strong plastic pieces on the sides. i have friends who have previous ankle injuries and use them.

and then there are the soft type, just some good elastic to hold the ankle together. among this type, there are some with heavier duty foam-ish type and the old style cloth+elastic type.

what have you use and what are your comments on them?

thanks!

15. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    ankel support

When i started playing badminton i would always roll my right ankel which prompted me to buy an ankel support. First i tried a cheap elastic stretch one that was horrible (It cut into my skin and broke after two three hour sessions). Then i went to the local sports store found a lace up ankel brace. It was designed for soccer players so it allows for as much possible movement as could be hoped for. This brace is excellent. You wear it over your sock, lace it up, and put on your shoes. Not too bulky, not too stiff. Lace up ankel braces are the way to go (only cost 20$!):)
    Hope this helps Kwun

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Lace-up version

The lace-up version with plastic inserts on the sides does the job, but it feels weird. I used one for about a month when I was recovering from an injury. I wouldn't use it if I didn't already have some sort of problem, though... it's too uncomfortable and it wears out your shoes!

17. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Kwun: Did you check out the YY Muscle Power supports while you were in HK?

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. i didn't see them there. and i wasn't looking for ankle support then.

anyway. Janet was the one who wanted one. she has twisted her ankle a few times during badminton. i think she just need more practice to strengthen her ankle muscles, but it is nice to have a preventive measure.

i went to the local pharmacy and bought her the simple elastic type, i want her to try the least obtrusive type first. she used it all night last night and she loved it. she says she now feel much more comfortable moving around the court.

19. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

I think she was looking for a massage!

;)

20. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    heya Kwun,

ooh, sounds like your friend Janet has had some problems with her ankle... hmm..... i've had many injuries in badminton sad to say, including ankle injuries, but i've learned that if your ankle has already been twisted or sprained, you MUST rest!! But if the injury is only minor and reoccuring, then wear one of those nephron (SP!?) ankle supports, try to avoid the plastic type when playing.

The nephron type will help to prevent the injury but doesn't work as well as the plastic ones that hold your ankle in place. So conclusion? Nephron (SP!? again hehe) for play, plastic when recovering......