Club in Glasgow?

Discussion in 'UK' started by KarenWillis, Aug 15, 2002.

1. KarenWillis

KarenWillis New Member

IT Consultant
    Hi, is anyone out there a member of a badminton club in Glasgow (Scotland)?
    I am travelling there on business Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday next week and the week after, staying in the City Centre.
    I'd like to play while I'm there if possible, so is there anyone that'll welcome a lady player (reasonable standard but a little rusty) as a guest?
    Thanks
    :)

2. Smitten

Smitten Regular Member

playing in Glasgow

I think badminton must end north of the borders! I havent had a response to mine for clubs in Edinburgh either!

Hope you hear from someone - I'd offer to meet with you - as it's not that long a drive, but I couldn't give you much challenge at singles!

et me know if you're up here again and I'll see if I can get some work colleagues to make up a four...

regards
    smitten

ps - do you prefer mixed or ladies?

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Karen,

Hi! Nice to finaly meet steve's women :). Welcome to BF, and i hope we see alot more of you!

Kind Regards

Matt

4. Steve willis

Steve willis Regular Member

Badninton coach/fitness trainer
    Hi, Smitten.
    Thanks for the offer of singles, but I never was any good & only ever really managed half-court in training sessions! After having had 2 kids (and a break from competitive play for about 5 years), I'm certainly not up to it. Doubles is my thing, and always has been. I prefer Mixed, but it's a pretty close call compared to Ladies doubles. It's a much more strategic, thinking game, and it's much more common to find evenly matched pairs. I think that there is a definite lack of ladies in the game, so it's rare to get 4 of a high standard at the same club night, let alone on the same court at the same time. If it happens, it's fantastic, but it still never matches up to a really good Mixed.
    Not that I play much any more - Steve is trying to persuade me to dust off my rackets, and I have to admit that the adrenaline is stirring again, having been along as a guest to a couple of clubs.

I've managed to find a link that might prove useful to anyone else looking to play in Scotland, see here for details. I'm going to try & see what's around for the next couple of weeks.

Hi Matt, good to hear from you too.
    Bit of a nightmare for Steve, though, his mrs keeping an eye on what he's up to on the forums! ;)

5. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Karen,

Even on his name too! Oh dear that really is checking up on him. Is he really as good as he says he is? :p Anyway, let him know that it's no problem to come to the club, and i'll let him know in the near future as to what night to come down and directions etc :)

Regards,
    Matt

6. KarenWillis

KarenWillis New Member

IT Consultant
    Oops, didn't realise that Steve was logged in when I last replied :eek: - damn computers - and me an IT consultant too!
    I'll pass on the message to him about the club - not in the next couple of weeks, though, cos I'm away & babysitters are difficult to come by.
    So where did he actually say that he was any good, then? He's more likely to be modest than boast that he was something that he wasn't.

And anyway, this post was originally about me :p

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: playing in Glasgow

Or there aren;t many badminton players who know how to use internet....:p

8. Smitten

Smitten Regular Member

or... there aren't enough hours in the day to spend endless hours insearch....