do professionals use deceptive shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WhiteRice94, Feb 24, 2009.

1. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    how come i rarely see pros like lin dan use trick shots( like when you make your raquet look like your hitting somewhere but then hit somewhere else they didnt guess). are deceptive shots effective? also can you list some deceptive shots and tell how you do them

2. djkalai

djkalai Regular Member

Student
    hi

it need a good hand and eye coordination and great agility. i think the best deceptive player would be peter gade. u can view deceptive shot in youtube . its reli great.

3. djkalai

djkalai Regular Member

Student
  4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wait. Trick shots and deceptive shots are two different things ... I think.

When you say deceptive shot, it can either be a basic shot (as basic as an overhead drop hidden under the pretense of a smash) or a trick shot (e.g., racket head in between the rear part of the legs when defending, which can also be deceiving).

I see pros execute deceptive shots a lot. However, they rarely use trick shots as these are most often not effective.

As with you not seeing Lin Dan do deceptive shots, I think it wouldn't be obvious for you because you're a spectator. But I bet once you're his opponent, you wouldn't know where he'd place the shuttle.

5. oliver badders

oliver badders Regular Member

school
    i find deceptive shot often very useful i usally use them when i want to win the rally in a few shots make them play a bad shot to just get it over the net then smash it back down and win the rally dont use them all the time though as it can easily judged if you keep using them but are a good ascet to use in your game

6. smckechnie

smckechnie Regular Member

DBA
    Agree with venkatesh. Trick shots and deceptive shots are worlds apart in my book. I have however seen a few matchs from many years ago where an around the back shot was used but I think it was more a case of the only way to play the return.

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You don't see that many trick shots when pros play eachother, as there is also is arisk involved if the trick shot succesfully "tricks" the opponent, and is of course lower % success than less "tricky" shots ;-)

That said pro players strive to be VERY deceptive in their basic game.. The idea is to make all shots basically look the same, so the opponent cant read by the posture, swing, and stroke what type of shot being played. and make minor adjustment as late as possbile so less time is given to the opponent to be able to read what shot is coming.

typical examples are net play when pros flick the racket at the very last microsecond, if they want to lift, push, instead of "exposing" their shot early in the racket swing.. Same with overhead shots, drops, slices, last minute minimal adjustment in swing and speed to make it differnet shots look as identical as possible to the opponent etc.. A good example of very deceptive overhead play is Bao.. Peter gade is very good at being deceptive at the net..

/Twobeer

8. Fluxe

Fluxe Regular Member

It is more important to be unpredictable than deceptive. Being deceptive once in a while wins points but being unpredictable wins the game.

9. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    I think the question should be, "Do pros do non-deceptive shots?"

At pro level, almost every shot should be deceptive. Just watch the Xiong GuoBao training vids. Even shots under pressure have layers of deception.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Very important point. Peter Gade uses an upside-down crosscourt netshot from the backhand side which I would argue is a true "trickshot", but beyond this it's sort of a grey area. Probably Lee Chong Wei's ultra-devious net shots can be construed as trickshots - the '08 Thomas Cup match with LD has some great examples.

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i thought every single shot they make is deceptive. Stroke uniformity, you can call it. And they can add slices, delays, or even the simplest form of last-moment racket face change, when they deem fit. So why not...

12. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    maybe you should open your eyes and watch closer lol. they use deception in every rally almost. TRICK SHOTS on the other hand are rarely seen but they are a totally different class.