re-string question

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by yellow_cloud, Feb 25, 2009.

1. yellow_cloud

yellow_cloud Regular Member

I am a beginner for about 1 year. I am thinking to restring a racket. The recommended string tension by the manufacturer is between 22 to 28 lbs (Head, Airflow 5). But I lean toward 20-21 lb, based on what I learn from this forum. Will that be ok, you think?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Why wouldn't it? You've really answered your own question by saying that you're more comfortable at lower tensions. The recommended tensions are only a guide, many people string above them (which is considerably more dangerous) and some string below. If you feel that is the right tension for you, go for it.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    read the sticky in this sub-forum

4. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

Yeah, if you're more comfortable with lower tensions, then you should stick with it first before going to try something higher on the scale. The lower tensions will also provide you with a larger overall sweet spot, and it would be better for you to learn with and manouver the racket.

5. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    Let's say ....
    speed limit for this road is 30MPH ...is it OK to drive at 25MPH...??!!!
    Answer is...of course OK

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    20 - 21lbs should be safe for any well made rackets. However, the key for stringing is the technique, such as mounting, clamping, tensioning, etc. A stringer knows what s/he's doing, can string a racket (reasonable condition)with 30lbs. A so-call stringer who does not know, can damage the racket even in low 20lbs range.

If this is the 1st time you try, try to work on low tension on a cheap racket. Once you feel confortable about the process, move on to the real thing. ;)

7. RSX

RSX Regular Member

Not really the same thing, speed limit specifies maximum only. Recomended tension is a range with lower and upper limit. Ofcourse you can string lower, but it may not be so obvious to someone new to the sport, so it's really a legitiamte question.

I just think sometimes people jump all over newbies ... cut them some slack and look at it from their perspective. After all isn't that one of the purposes of this forum ?

8. yellow_cloud

yellow_cloud Regular Member

Ok, thank to all for the inputs. I will try it.