LYB on Badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by RedShuttle, Feb 26, 2009.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

2. bestco

bestco Regular Member

He is definately hated by a large number of fans domestically in China. But coaching wise he's done a very good job.

3. badminfreak

badminfreak Regular Member

I wish I still lived in China... I live in UK
    why is he hated by so many people? just out of interest:confused:

4. Merks

Merks Regular Member

Student
    I can't uderstand why he is hatted by so many people...God, he is working good.

5. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

These are widely known accusations against LYB:
    LYB openly acknowledged that he pre-arranged outcome between Chinese players to win gold.
    LYB abused his power (need details here, I know) and enrich himself
    LYB made nasty remarks about other players and coaches.
    Some outstanding coaches and players are forced to leave national team (e.g. Li Mao, world championship Lee Ling Wei) because they despised his conduct.
    LYB had extra-marital affair with a famous female player on national team.

I don't know whether these are all true. Even if only some of them is true, it's enough to lose respect for him.

It was also true that LYB gained power at the low point of Chinese national team and now China dominates badminton tournaments. How much credit is rightfully LYB? It's hard to tell. Li Mao can probably do a better job, but history is not a lab of double-blind test. LYB did make it look like he deserved all the credit.

6. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lyb is playing sport management in a political arena, dont expect a saint to rise to the top. Name me a successful CEO or leader who is spotless?

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I don't classify people as either saint or pond scum. In the spectrum of leadership quality, LYB ranks low IMO. The obvious strength he had is to deliver medals.

AFAIK there are better candidates for LYB's position, but hey, it's not my decision to make. If the system favors the wrong people at the top, demand the system to change.

How would LYB compare with Abraham Lincoln, who had to win a civil war and didn't have a flawless record as a leader, either? Lincoln is remembered today not just because he led to victory; he left a legacy for humanity. True test of leadership is to deliver beyond the immediate needs and goals over time.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    read the thread title, LYB on Badminton.
    It isn't LYB on politic or religion or saving the world

10. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

LYB criticized BWF for failing to attract large sponsorship for badminton tournaments. This is a fact.

What has Chinese team, as the dominant team in tournaments, done to help attract sponsorship? Didn't the entire Chinese team abstain from first SS Final last year? Is that helping the creditability of BWF?

Oh, wait. LYB doesn't care about badminton in other places. His job is to win medals in OG and other tournaments. His job will be easier if badminton is unpopular in other countries.

LYB talks about the importance of team work. Within team China, yes, LYB will ask players to sacrifice so a more suitable player can win gold. Once it goes beyond team China, there is no team work. LYB is not on the team. LYB will not help BWF SS Final successful, or something like that.

To be fair, BWF has its own problems. I am simply asking is LYB part of the solution or part of the problem. Team China should have some leverage in BWF given its roster of players and large fan base.

#10 mettayogi, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009