Leg Position When Receiving Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jedimaster, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jedimaster

jedimaster Regular Member

Is there a best position when receiving serve? My style is to lunge forward at the shuttle so that I can slam it downwards. I am right handed. For example, if I am standing on the right side of the court and preparing to receive a serve, I will hold the racket in front around my head level, but do I keep my right leg in front or should I keep the left leg in front?

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

keep your right leg behind when receiving serve if you are right handed;)

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Non racket foot forward is correct.

I presume from your question that it relates to doubles. If you're attacking a low serve then your distance from the front service line is the deciding factor in whether you step forward onto your right foot or spring forward with a two footed jump, still leading with your non racket foot, ie you dont rotate through.
    If you're quick enough to be able to stand close to the service line then you'll spring foward two footed still leading with your left foot.

If you're a bit slow or old like me, then my starting position in receiving serve in doubles is about 2ft back from front service line. I like to protect my rearcourt a little more these days!

4. jedimaster

jedimaster Regular Member

Thanks guys for the tips.

5. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Does it actually really matter if when your serving/receiving the bird that you need your right foot leading(since i'm a right handed player). Or can you just lead with your left foot even though your a righty(even though it will look awkward)?

6. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    lead with the left foot if your a righty. attack by stepping forward with onto your left again, make sure you dont try bringing your right leg forward. This will put you out of position and also takes too long, so your more likely to push into the net. A short sharp step with the left is all you need.

If your right leg were forward and you were flicked, youd have the move back for the shuttle AND rotate your body, which you wouldnt have enough time to do. So as before racket leg behind always.