Head Metallix 8000

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by helloyou, Feb 27, 2009.

1. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-
    is the head metallix 8000 a good racket for agressive smasher?

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Kind of.
    It's not particularly heavy, and only medium balance. I think it's really designed as more of an all-round racket. If you've got the talent it shouldn't matter (I believe it's the racket most of Head's sponsored players use), but there are definitely other rackets better suited to your style of play.

3. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-

such as? can you list down the brand?

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Anything head-heavy (bp>300mm) and 2U / 3U weight should be pretty powerful. Depending on the speed of your swing, you might be better with a more or less flexible racket though.

Nearly every brand will have something in their lineup to suit you:
    Yonex AT700/AT900P, Victor RippplePower12/TIW6000, Ashaway Kevlar8000, etc.

Just remember that you can't buy success in badminton - getting a new racket won't instantly transform your game.

5. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-
    i understand , thanks sketcy , mind if i ask weather carlton is good for smashing? if yes , mind if you list the e.g? i usually play with my friends, but all my friends do not not knw the specs , so asking them may not be much of a help

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I don't know - you get completely different Carlton models in Asia, than we do here in the UK. Most of the rackets they sell here are quite head-light.

They used to make the "Megaflex" series, which were great, and really very powerful indeed. They might still be making them for the asian market - I don't know.

7. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician

Well this statement always bother me as its not true. Like me when I first started badminton with a junior racket, a steel carlton racket then moved on to a lower end prince racket wich I used for around 4 or 5 years or so. As my technique advanced my racket only allowed me to go so far as I had to use so much more energy to execute the shots so when I finally spend some money on a top end racket my game went up by like 50% over night as all shots which required power required alot less effort, I got better precision and more power to my smash and I could clear base line to baseline from positions I could not before.

I agree on that a better racket cant make a bad player better but a better racket can make a technically skilled player alot better.

8. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    You're very lucky then - this is not normally the case, unless you're upgrading from a very bad racket (and I mean bad, not just unsuitable).
    I don't know quite how you were able to quantify improvement, but if you tell someone they're going to get 50% better just by buying a new racket, then I think they're gonna be pretty disappointed.

9. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Well I only quantifyed it to be able to put it in writing so you get the point. Its not like I measured it. Well as I wrote a bad player wont become good with a good racket you still have to learn the techniques on you own but once you do and your technique starts to pickup a racket can make or break your game for me atleast. I know that most says "well its you playing not the racket" well why do you spend big bucks on a racket then instead of picking up a recreational set on the nearest gas station? If I were to pick up headlight really flexy racket I wouldnt be half as good as I am with my headheavy stiff racket, belive me ive tried.

On topic: I made a thread on this subject a while back and got the advice to go for the 4000 instead since the difference in playability didnt seem to differ that much but the price did and theres a few pros using the 4000 aswell. From reading their site the thing that seems to differ is 1 mm in bp (284 for 4k and 285 for 8k) and that the 8k have high modulus graphite in some way and dont really know what that does :p

Their site: http://www.head.com/badminton/racquets.php?region=eu&tag=metallix_series&id=1533

#9 dubber, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

my 2 cents. A TSF 300A, or a Head Metallix 10000. However, Power is not a problem for the Metallix 4000 and 8000. watch zhou mi =D

11. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-
    wht do you mean? you mean the head metallix 4k and 8k is powerful?
    and whts a tsf 300a ? sorry , im quite new.

12. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

A TSf 300 A is a racket, made by Kason. It is a head heavy racket.
    The Head Metallix 4000 and 8000 are not really lacking in power. Watch Zhou Mi. He does wonders with the Met.4000

As for a racket being powerful. is a limp dead carbon stick that cant move on its own, has a wooden handle with grip over it and has a layer of paint very powerful? A racket cant give you power, or speed, or defense.

13. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Only up to a point - otherwise you're effectively saying all rackets are equally powerful (and have equal control too for that matter), which is patently untrue. Even if there's no way to quantify racket power, I think everyone here would agree that some rackets are potentially more powerful than others. I guess I'm kind of agreeing with Dubber now :eek:

#13 Sketchy, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  14. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

If person A had an armortec 700, person B had a Nanospeed 9000s, and person C had a Musclepower 45, and they all smashed at the same relative speed, which racket is the most powerful? =)
    or we could conduct a test. play a racket . see how many points it scores.

Also, what you must realize is that there are many variables affecting all your shots. if you cant swing an AT700 for your life, but you can generate a fast speed with a Nanospeed 9900, the Nanospeed will probably seem more powerful.

15. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Oh, and i would recommend an arc10. it is easy to smash continuously with it. however, it is expensive, and it takes a while to get used to.

16. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Swing speed is determined by the players technique and strength (differences in air resistance have a negligible effect - it's mostly marketing) - as far as I'm concerned, those are constants. I think it's a fair assumption that if "Player A" can swing a light racket faster than "Player B", then they can also swing a heavy racket faster than "Player B". That's just my opinion.
    I'm going to shut up now, and let people suggest rackets for Helloyou.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    One could eiaslly think of this as a "constant", however this assumption is of course completely wrong :) Things are seklsom as easy as we tend to want them to be :)

some interesting read... for example..
    http://www.sportsci.com/sportsci/january/F-V CURVE.htm
    its really not the topic of this thread :)

back to the topic.

Metallix 8000 is a great racket for smashing :) I think the tour version feels better than the old 8000.

Overall I think Sketchy is giving you some really good advice in this thread!!

/Twobeer

18. gak_12

gak_12 Regular Member

Agressive smasher?
    Get the Metallix 10000.Head heavy yet easy to handle even for defence.

Metallix 8000 is all round play.

Metallix 4000 is a cheaper version of Metallix 10000.
    Less money with less power.hee hee.

19. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-

hw much is it? hahah , head metalix 10k.

20. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

since I have both Metallix 10000 and 8000, i can confirm that Metallix 10000 is more head heavy, (about 5 mm for BP) than that Metallix 8000. IF you are not changing your technique etc, Metallix 10000 is definitely better for smashing.