LCW is UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador: A first for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by radialhead, Feb 27, 2009.

1. radialhead

radialhead New Member

Lee Chong Wei appointed a UNICEF goodwill ambassador

[​IMG]

Badminton's world-number-one Lee Chong Wei has been appointed a UNICEF goodwill ambassador, joining the ranks of soccer's David Beckham and tennis champion Roger Federer.

"I am determined to maintain a good image and be a good role model. Hopefully, I will be able to inspire many children along the way," Lee said according to The Star newspaper.

The 27-year-old Malaysian joins an illustrious roll-call of sports personalities representing the UN Children's Fund including cricket legend Ravi Shastri and tennis star Ana Ivanovic.

UNICEF representative to Malaysia, Youssouf Oomar, said Lee was loved by "every Malaysian" and made an ideal role model for young citizens.

"Lee is not just a champion in badminton but he is also a champion in promoting child welfare. He is a source of inspiration, he is a role model and has shown his interest and commitment to champion the child's cause," he said.

Lee reportedly said he wants to become involved in UNICEF programmes this year, when he is not away at international tournaments. "It is one of my responsibilities as an international player to help those in need and to promote children's programmes," he told the Star.

The Malaysian champ, who was victorious in the World Super Series Masters Finals last year, is now heading for the All-England and Swiss Open Super Series tournaments in Europe.

"I am truly honoured to leave tomorrow for the All-England as an UNICEF ambassador. As a badminton player, I would like to bring good cheer to the children by doing well," he said.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090227/en_afp/badmintonmasunicef;_ylt=AsgBCQwn0ZM6ssIs8RhZ6eJxFb8C

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Congrats to LCW!
    Clearly a recognition of both his achievement in badminton and his role model character.
    Is this the first time a badminton World No 1 is appointed?
    I wonder what criteria UNICEF apply to select one?

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think this should be after he retired...

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

not neccesary.;)
    look at david beckham or totti..;)

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks, Oldhand.
    Interesting List.
    wow, Pierce Brosnan is Ireland's first Goodwill Ambassador.
    Guess they have to have the stature to generate goodwill besides being distinctive in their field.
    It's a first for badminton.Great to see badminton recognised.