Preparing for a tournament and during the tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ALI, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. Next month, I'll enter a tournament, and I'll compete in the Doubles category. So, I'm starting to train a little bit more. But I like to know, I heard before that right before the tournament, we must rest enough, so does it mean that before the tournament, I have to reduce my training and emphasize on maintaining only? Can anybody give me some tips about it?

Besides, during the actual day, I'm forced to play a few matches in a row (with about 45 minutes of difference). I know I'll warm up properly before the 1st match, but what about the other matches? Should I do all those warm up (stretching and jogging) again or just step into court and practice all those strokes? And what should I eat and drink during the interval? Thanks for all your advice.

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I don't practice heavily the day before a tournament, unless I've missed many days to practice in the last couple weeks before the tournament, bu that usually doesn't happen. I'll just play some games with feathers if its a feather tournament as well.

Also, proper eating is important. Avoid greasy foods that will slow you down, and go for high-carb meals such as pasta. Drink LOTS of liquids as well. Avoid carbonated drinks like the plague. Although, I've heard flat coke is a really good energy drink, I've never tried it.

With a 45 minute difference, you should warm up before each match. You'll be too cold without warming up. Also, wear warmups in between the matches and even during the strokes right before the match such as track pants and sweater. During the interval, drink water and have some energy foods such as bananas (really good) and energy bars. Oh, and go to the bathroom. :)

Phil

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Water dilutes the sodium in the blood so you won't feel as thirsty and will go to the bathroom more. Thus it is not as effective at rehydrating during intervals as a sports drink.

What you need is a hypotonic drink. This will rehydrate you fast. Look up recipe's for them on the web. Also make it easy to drink. You get bored drinkin water after a while, so something which tastes nice will help you along.

An isotonic sports drink is also good, and the expensive drinks which contain electrolytes are very effective at rehydrating. The carbo based ones will replenish your energy quickly too.

Read up on how to load yourself up with carbs before the tournament and how to maintain them.

#3 UkPlayer, Aug 16, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Should be "a low level of electrolytes"

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  6. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Some people I know have used oxidized water or something like that. It is water with elevated levels of oxygen in it. My sister takes it for a health problem she has. The people who use this say that it helps them play better since they don' get tired as quickly.

I mix my sports drinks with water, so that it is not as sugary and won't make me burn out. I feel that when I drink sports drinks such as Gatorade undiluted, I will feel very energized, but then tired later. If I am only palying doubles though, then I'll drink them undiluted because I don't find doubles tiring, and I could use the extra energy.

I'm considering buying some of those Power Gels or whatever that are supposed to give you energy very quickly for singles games in tournaments that I may get tired in.

Thanks for those recipes, UkPlayer, I think I'll try some of them. :)

Phil

P.S. - Good luck in your tournament, ALI! Have fun!

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    ALI,

I have played in a number of tournaments, so here is my advice.

1. Like many people have said, carbo load about 24 hours before you play the tournament. This involves eating food that is high in carbohydrates, such as pasta (thats what i eat). The whole idea of this to store alot of carbo's in the body. So when you become tired during a match, the body burns up these carbo's which then turns them into energy. You see alot of marathon runners do this to store up energy.

2. Make sure you have all the key pieces of equipment. Such as spare rackets, spare strings, alot of drink, shoes, a cloth you can damp down. Having this cloth is VERY important. Take it to the toilets and damp it when your there. If the floor is slippery, take it on court with you and put it on the side. Once you start to slip and slide, stamp on the towel a little and this will take the dirt of your feet, and then the water will make them grip more. Keep repeating during the end of rallies.

3. Take a walkman with you, this way it can keep you entertained whilst waiting for your next game. It also keeps you focused and phsyced.

4. When you get there, get on court with your partner and have a good knock up. Watch the players around you. Spot their weaknesses and talk to your partner about it. Set up shots like smashes, have a few drives. Then come into the net and do a net shot rally. That way you can just perfect your shot ready for the big game.

5. When your playing a match, dont be afraid to put your hand up and ask for a drink, and to dampen your shoes and towel down. When your are losing..stop, talk to your partner, see where your going wrong and then improve it for future games. Dont be intimidated by your opponents. If your playing attacking and it's not working, then switch it so you can then play percentage shots. Get into the rallies, and wait for them to make the mistakes.

6. When your off court, after just playing a match. Talk to your partner about weaknesses you have. If you have a coach, go talk to him, see what he thinks about your play and where you are going wrong. At the end of the day, he is the one watching and has the best view of whats going on, and where you could have out it etc.

7. When your off court, make SURE that you stay warm. But a tracksuit on. If you begin to start cramping (tournaments do take it out of you), stretch it off, go for a walk to try and sort the problem out.

8. Eat plenty of energy giving foods. Like UKP said, find a drink that rehydrates you. During long rallies you become very tired. Having a quick drink will ensure that those energy levels are up there, or you become weak, and feel hungry. Then, your badminton goes down hill. So keep plenty of fluids and food in the body

NOTE: DO NOT DRINK FIZZY DRINKS!!!! This will only make you feel bloated and will giveyou wind. It's a horrible feeling, so whatever you do, however thirsty you are, DO NOT DRINK FIZZY DRINKS!!.

9. While off court, sit down and watch your next opponent, See if their backhand is strong, if they get in eachothers way when playing a smash down the middle. Then, use these to your advantage whilst playing against them.

10. Motivate your partner. Theres nothing worse than losing alot of points, and then your head goes down. Set yourself little goals. Say 'ok, lets get to 7 points.' once you get to 7, right, now lets get to 11, and take it that way..

11. Mention me when you win the doubles :D

I hope this is some help to you, best of luck in your tournament!

Matt

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    ALI,

One more thing i forgot to mention. Alot of the top players try to smash down the middle, as both players to go for it. As a rule, it should always be the player on the CROSSCOURT to the smash that takes the shot. Just remember this and tell your partner.

Matt

9. Ole

Ole Regular Member

Student
    hi UkP

What's the diffrence between isotonic and hypotonic drink?

And Matt, what's a Fuzzy drink?

Thanks!

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Ole,

Fizzy, not fuzzy! :) A fizzy drink is something like coca-cola and sprite, and pepsi etc.

Matt

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    There are three different types of sports beverages which can be put into three different categories. Isotonic fluid is the most common sports drink, it contains 6-8% carbohydrate rate and carries electrolytes. Isotonic fluid quickly replaces fluids lost from perspiration. It is the preferred choice of most athletes. Glucose a sugar in the body is the energy most commonly found in the drinks.

The second and medium type of sports drink is Hypotonic. Hypotonic fluid has a low level of carbohydrate (3-5%) and electrolytes are present. It quickly replaces fluids that are lost when sweating. This type of drink is suitable but the low carbohydrate level does not give the full energy source.

The final type of sports drink is Hypertonic High. It has a very low level of carbohydrate (0-2%) and no electrolytes are to be found in this drink.

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I made one of the rinks on the link that UKP gave to us, and there is hardly any taste to it at all. I added the salt, and you can still taste the salt. Any ideas what i can do to make it a bit more tasteful?

Matt

13. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Hi,

I read those recipes, and the first thing i noticed that the proportion of fresh juice is very low compared to water, in both isotonic and hypotonic drinks.

Maybe this ought to be that way, but i used to do very different for tournaments and league matches :
    I made a bottle (1,5 litres) of pure fresh juice, containing oranges, a citron and a grapefruit. Sometimes i added just a tiny bit of water to it.
    Hmm, maybe it was too juicy, because i changed to 100% pure water :p

Maybe off-topic, but my current favourite juice after a training session, and well, i also drink it without training, is a mix from the following items : (to make 1 litre)
    Strawberries (250 gram / 1/2 lbs ? / 15-20 strawberries)
    1 Banana
    Yoghurt
    Milk
    Orange juice (just orange juice from the supermarket, not pure fresh)
    Enjoy !

14. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Thats exactly what i was thinkin, there was hardly any taste to it at all, and the taste didn't really appeal to me really..Any ideas how to make it taste better with the same amount of carbos and electrolytes.

Cheers,
    Matt

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Okay, I heard about this term "physical/mental peaking". Anyone has any
    insights/experiences?

16. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

For the Love of Badminton Do NOT Drink CARBONATED drinks such as sprite and such. I was playing in a day long tournament and in my last game i ran out of water and so did the mini store set up in the gym...i bought a sprite and what a mistake that was. My muscles started getting sore and sluggish. It is not a good feeling especially when u're trying to concentrate on the game >.<

17. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for all your replies

Thanks for all your replies :) . I'm really glad to see so many replies which are very useful.

Saying about Isotonic drinks, in Malaysia, we have a type of drink called 100 Plus. It is labelled as isotonic drink with glucose, electrolytes and is supposed to replenish the fluids loss due to exercise. It contains ions such as Sodium, Pottasium, Phosporous, Chlorine, Sulphate etc. We normally drink it after strenous sports exercise. It is recommended by Malaysia's Sports Council. But it is CARBONATED. Should I drink it during the 45 minute interval?

If I shouldn't drink that, can you please give me some examples of Isotonic drink which are not carbonated which I can find in Malaysia? Thanks!

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Drink, drink, drink

Again, avoid carbonated drinks altogether. If you can't find a suitable/agreeable hypotonic or isotonic drink, then don't worry about it. Drink water, and eat bananas in the breaks between matches. That's really enough. Bananas really rule. :)

In my experience, I find rehydration is more important than constantly "refuelling" with carbohydrates. It's really sad to see trained athletes stuff themselves with energy bras during breaks, thinking that they are "refuelling". All that will happen is that they will get a short boost of energy, followed by an insulin shock which will lead to even lower blood sugar levels, leaving them even MORE tired in the end... Be careful with anything with lots of sugar in it. Bananas also have a lot of sugar, but much of that is fructose, which is a slower (lower glychemic index) carbohydrate than "plain" sugar.

One good rule of thumb is: during 1 hour of playing, you should drink AT LEAST 1 litre of fluid. Remember: don't wait until you're thirsty -- then it's already too late...

Good luck!

19. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Re: Drink, drink, drink

Really? :):)

I didn't think bras gave out that much energy. Oh well, i'll wear one next time :)

Matt

20. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer