What do you think about the spectators in South East Asia? Do they bother you?

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by ray, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ray

ray Regular Member

lecturer
    What do you think about the spectators in South East Asia?
    Do they bother you?

regards,
    ray

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Great!!

Hi Ray!!

I really like playing in all of asia because I like the atmosphere there!! When I´m playing I´m hardly noticing if they are cheering against me and if I do it only makes me more eager to win!!

All in all I like the asian way of viewing badminton. Cheering and roaring during the rallyes I find very motivating and fun!!

What do you think about it??

Jonas

3. ray

ray Regular Member

lecturer
    i like a live spectators, the problem is sometimes they do more than cheering, they're badgering and pestering some players.

4. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I think it would totally put me off and pressure me.

5. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Yeah! That's the case of the Indonesian and Malaysian fans particularly.
    But I found that the Chinese fans are quite well behaved during the TC.

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If i find that the crowd are cheering for me, this gives me a real buzz and makes me want to win even more. I feel though, if the crowd were cheering when i made a mis-hit, i would kind of be paranoid, play alot more percentage so i dont get on the wrong side of them? It's kind of tough really, as i have never played in Asia, but i suppose the pressure would be immense.

Matt

7. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Personally, I don't like the Indonesian supporters at all. They are very annoying. booing on the players, shouting something impolite (coz I understand their language) and throwing things here and there. In fact, some of them act as if they are crazy. To me, I feel they are just uncultural. I like the atmosphere at All England most. I feel the spectators have high culture values, very polite and they acknowledge all your good shots but didn't boo you on lousy shots. Agree?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That depends which All England you're talking about.
    This years one was the best. Previous AE's had rather boring audience participation.

Guys, if the audience is making a lot of noise, then TV is more interesting to the casual viewer who will wonder "what's all the fuss about? Better keep on watching"!

9. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Audience

I understand that you may be offended by what the indonesians are shouting at the malaysians because you understand the language!!

Seen from my perspective I don`t understand a word of any asian language, but I can feel when people like to see me play!!

I also think there is a lot of tension between Indonesia and Malaysia and this affects the spectators in a negative way!!

Sometimes the audience in AE is very good, but is normally when they have some europeans to cheer on!!!

Otherwise it`s a bit boring for them, when they don`t know any of the players!!!

Jonas

10. zic

zic New Member

worked at mcdonalds over the summer...
    Well Ali, just because some Indonesian supporters act the way they do, doesnt mean they all do. I mean i just dont want the stereotype of all Indonesians act like that. I can agree that some of them do act rude :( but its all also in the moment, some ppl do and and others do it also because everyone else is doing it and it catches on. I like it either way with roaring crowds or a more settle manner. Also during the 2000 olympics in Sydney, i watched the finals mens doubles game Indonesia vs Korea, the crowd was about to blow the roof off, it was wild in there, and i thought that made the atmosphere more exciting and tense for the viewers, though it may have bothered or encouraged or have no effect at all on the players i dont know, but i like it :D