String tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DmanDmythDledge, Feb 28, 2009.

1. DmanDmythDledge

DmanDmythDledge New Member

Just wondering what tension should I string my racket? Usually go for anywhere between 26 and 29. This is pretty high I think. What stuff should I take into consideration when picking what I string my racket to?

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    start with the basics,
    playing style?
    racket?
    string?
    etc

u cant simply just say a tension, its also a personal thing,
    i personal have different rackets at different tensions to suit the racket and my style

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well in my opinion, unless you are very rich, you should look foremost for durability. By this, I mean mainly racket durability. If the racket is specified to only go up to 24lbs and you string it to 29lbs and you mishit... you could break your racket. Similarly, stringing BG-66 (a thin performance stringG) to 29lbs won't last you very long at all, and you will constantly have to restring. Also remember that by stringing it to higher tensions, you are making the string thinner than it already is.

It seems to be personal preference because even though most of the top mens players string over 28-29lbs... many women players string to 24lbs. Stringing it tighter gives you more control and feel at the expense of power. If you are a power player, you may want to give up some of the extra power for a little bit more control, and vice versa.

Ultimately you should try some different combinations of strings and tensions (borrow a few rackets from fellow players and try them out too!) and then you can decide which combination you prefer.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Pretty high, not as high as a lot of people on these forums, still quite high though. If you feel comfortable at those tensions, keep them the way they are.

High tensions for the right player (fast swing speed) can generate more power than the same racket at lower tensions. However, if you don't hit hard, you'll just end up not being able to clear and have a sore arm.

Most rackets are able to take 29Lbs, alot within warranty so I wouldn't worry about that.

5. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    correct me if im wrong but i thought all(most) of the Yonex rackets warranty is upto 24lbs

and most apart from the top of the range SOTX rackets are only 28lbs

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Yonex "limit" is 22-25lbs. SOTX "limit" is 28-35lbs. Most rackets can take 30lbs with no problem.

7. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    i was close enough :D i was right about sotx cus i knew that one but yonex was roughish guess :rolleyes:

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    That was why a I said "alot within warranty" - Yonex high end rackets are the major exception to this rule. Even the Karakal MTec 70 is warranted up to 30Lbs.