places to play in calgary?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Nuetronist, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

I was just wondering if there are any convenient places to play in around calgary SW - talisman

With the recent strange timings of badminton at talisman (I've heard its due to some stadium in the NW being closed for repairs) I was wondering if there are any other places to play around those areas on fridays and saturdays.

2. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    Westside Rec Center, its really great, but the problem is that they only have 3 courts, 'cause half of the gym is for basketball (dont worry, they use motorised blinds), and Saturdays are probably the most busy.

So busy that during the Spring Break, Im going to have to go there at 6:00 AM so nobody can bug me!
    http://www.westsiderec.com/bs_home.html?MenuID=2060 HOME PAGE

In effect until March 20th http://www.westsiderec.com/images/pdf/Gym_Climbing_Sch_W9R.pdf

In effect from March 20th to April 19 "Spring Break Schedule"
    http://www.westsiderec.com/images/pdf/SpringBreak-320-0419-09.pdf

Enjoy!

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    how many courts does westside have?

4. Nuetronist

It has three, but I don't usually like to go there becuase I can only make it after school, and by then it gets fairly busy so you get to play liek 10 m inutes for every half hour of waiting...T_T

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

just curious, how many people are in the 3 courts, playing + waiting, on average when u r there? thx

6. Nuetronist

Umm, well it depends on the day, the only viable days for me are wednesday and friday and the weekend

Wednesday: 6:30 pm - 10:15 pm
    From around 6:30 - 7:15ish its alright usually two or all three courts are full, but no one is waiting for a court, so no westside staff come and make you take turns
    7:15 - 9:45ish PACKED!! A lot of people want to play, so westside staff come and enforce turns so you usually play for about 15 minutes before getting off and waiting for 15-30 minutes

Friday: 3:00 pm - 10:15 pm
    Its pretty good. From three to usually 5 or 6 you can have a court all to yourself, and then people start coming = same situation as wednesday night

Saturday and Sunday I don't even go becuase its usually so full.

7. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    Sorry for not replying quickly, really busy lately. I agree with Nuetronist. If you can get there before school times (3:30 PM) then you should be alright. After that traffic gets heavier, and anytime after 7:00 is rediculous. Thats why Im resorting to playing at 8 or 9 in the morning during March break/going straight to Westside afterschool on friday (note: Some highschools in calgary have an early dismissal on friday, 2:00 PM)

Also note that on one of those days (in the March Break schedule) it says that badminton will be played in Gymanium one (the first half of the gym), which is about 3 times the size of Gymnaium 2 (the one usually reserved for badminton), so you should check that out. Im guessing about 6 courts maybe!

8. Nuetronist

Do any of you know how the crowds are on sunda afternoons (around 12-ish?)

Also, for talisman, why is it that when I wake up at 8 in the morning and call to book a court, they say they are entirely booked for every court for all day? Am I just waking up too late? That sounds strange, becuase each person can only book one court for one hour, and there are 9 courts open for about 7 hours...63 people call in all before 8 in the morning??

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

talisman usually have lessons on weekend mornings.

from your description, sounds like westside has more the 6 courts ?

10. Nuetronist

No westside only has three, Talisman has 9 I beleive

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

he goldenracket talking about his school gyms?

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    talisman has usually 11 courts (gym 2 and 4) in gym 2 (the "bad gym") theres 7 courts if im not mistaken and in gym 4 (the "good gym") theres 4. not all courts are aviable through the day so sometimes theres only 4 courts in gym 4 cause there is field hockey in the lower gyms. other times theres no badminton cause theres soccer in the upper gyms. the weird times for badminton that you see just has to do with other sports using the facilities.

in terms of calling and booking yeah thats the weird part there are days when call in and they say its all booked but go there and its empty. as well other times when you book and go there and its packed. many groups everyone will call in and book a court so that can explain it. but other than that if the times work for you its not a bad place to play. if you ever head down there let me know.

13. leoseller7

leoseller7 New Member

Calgary SE location

Hello,

Sorry to steal this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for locations to play in and around the SE of Calgary, I'm located in McKenzie towne so anywhere near there.

thanks for the input