User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default KLRC - Datuk Seri Andrew Kam

The KLRC really take so much effort to support the badminton player around the world. I hope he able to help those peoples who have potential can become a good player.

HIS nomination has surprised even the BA of Malaysia but Datuk Seri Andrew Kam explains to Timesport's K.M. BOOPATHY why he has a good chance of becoming the next Badminton World Federation (BWF) president at the May 10 congress in Guangzhou, China.
    TIMESPORT: Your nomination came as a surprise. When did you actually know that you were to be nominated?

KAM: I was approached by several countries, who assured me there was support. It is their pledge of support that made me accept the nomination. In fact, I decided to join the race just a few days before the deadline for nominations (two weeks ago). It is important for Malaysia, as a leading badminton nation, to have representatives in BWF. I'm also a lawyer by profession and I can help BWF on legal matters as well.

Q: Why do you think you have been nominated?

A: Many countries have been calling for a change in BWF as things haven't really changed under the new administration over the last few years. What people are hoping for is to see badminton in the Olympics after 2012.
    Q: It is going to be a tough challenge seeing that you are taking on (incumbent) BWF president Dr. Kang Young Joong. How much support are you looking at from the affiliates?

A: Quite a number of countries have pledged support and that is the reason I decided to go for it. I'm doing this for the passion that I have for the sport and I always believe in fair game. Being a Malaysian, I'm also looking forward to the support of the BA of Malaysia (BAM).

Q: Some have said that you are actually a proxy of Datuk Punch Gunalan (former BWF deputy president). What is your view?

A: I'm a lawyer, a businessman and I have my own view. I'm no stranger to badminton and my passion for the sport cannot be questioned. Malaysia needs a representative at the highest level (in badminton) and I am willing to take the responsibility. Datuk Punch Gunalan has served the country well as a player and an administrator and I have utmost respect for him. That doesn't mean I'm his proxy.

Q: Obviously, your work with KLRC Berhad (which Kam founded) is another reason for your nomination. What led you to form the club?

A: The club was formed in 2005 and it is very popular around the globe and we have about 70 players -- local and foreign -- under our wings. We have organised tournaments in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Luxembourg and Bulgaria. In fact, it was KLRC which rescued the 2007 World Junior Championships held in Auckland. The tournament was supposed to be postponed but we stepped in to ensure the most prestigious junior event was not sacrificed due to lack of funds.

KLRC Bhd is a Malaysian product. Wherever I go, people relate it to Malaysia because it is KLRC. People can make a career out of badminton and this is the opportunity which KLRC has presented, not just to Malaysian players but also from other nations.

Q: Is there a conflict of interest as you are the Kuala Lumpur BA president (KLBA) and the chairman of KLRC Bhd?

A: There is no conflict at all. Both help each other and help out in whichever way possible. KLBA and KLRC have their separate roles to play. Everyone should be helping the development of badminton, not just the government. We support clubs as it can only make the sport grow bigger.

Q: How is the relationship between KLRC and BAM?

A: As I have always stressed, KLRC is not here to compete with but to help BAM. Some people have misunderstood our objective. We have given players like Sairul Amar Ayub, Lee Tsuen Seng and Lim Pek Siah the opportunity to continue playing after leaving the national team.

If they had not been given the opportunity, would they have made it to the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup teams or even qualify for the World Championships? Pek Siah was not only selected but also made the Uber Cup captain.

I feel that selection (for major events) should be on merit and if these players qualify, they should go.

We will continue giving local players the support but we are also selective in selecting players. Former China international Zhou Mi is a classic example where she approached us with the objective of becoming the World No 1 and she achieved it last year and there are so many others who have benefited. I've never asked for a single cent but I only give. I'm not selling anything to the players. I'm just creating a career for them.

Q: What is KLRC's role in development?

A: Development is the responsibility of the states and BJSS (Bukit Jalil Sports School) while we stick to established players.

Zulfadli Zulkifli is an exception because his father wanted to continue coaching him and thus, didn't allow him to join BJSS. This is because Zulkifli is a qualified coach and has coached the United States Olympics team (in the 90s) and he wanted to continue guiding his son.

I believe Zulfadli is our answer Taufik Hidayat (of Indonesia) and a player of such calibre should be given an alternative to continue progressing and that's what KLRC has provided.

What Zulfadli needs is good management and he is the kind of player who has the ability to make the All England final at the age 18 or 19. Since Fulfadli is under KLRC, he also gets the opportunity to train with Sairul, Tsuen Seng and England's Andrew Smith whenever he comes down for a training stint.

Q: What is your vision for BWF?

A: Badminton's biggest challenge is to remain as an Olympic sport and a more professional approach has to be adopted. This ranges from the administration and also marketing the sport so that it reaches the masses.

Professionalism is the key and we have to take cue from tennis and how ATP and WTA are so successful.

The players must be well looked after and the tournaments need to become more attractive in terms of prize money and status.

Women's profile in badminton must also be raised to ensure gender equality while the Paralympics must also be given the emphasis.

The traditional way of management has to change and a more professional management structure must be put in place.

The manpower should be enough so that BWF can function as a reputed world governing body. All efforts must be channeled in one direction which is to make sure that badminton becomes a permanent feature in the Olympics.

Source from News Straits Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Andrew Kam gets elected then Punch Gunalan will be back with revenge....bad news!!
    Punch is not good model for badminton community....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope this time Andrew Kam able to help the badminton community and with his current support to few badminton player i guess he can do it.

Not only the current player he support but i hope he can also support good player which currently waiting in line..

Anyone know how many players he currently support?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
    Hope this time Andrew Kam able to help the badminton community and with his current support to few badminton player i guess he can do it.

Not only the current player he support but i hope he can also support good player which currently waiting in line..

Anyone know how many players he currently support?
    not that many anymore..I know KLRC decided not to sponsor Nicole/Reid this year and may be Russian players too....so far only Zhou Mi, Petya, some Taiwanese players, Ramussesn ( Danish MD)...

but Andrew Kam did not get many supports as he claimed...I believe so far Australia, HKG, Bulgaria will support him...joining " may be" Canada, NZ or Taiwan...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro, thanks for the info.. but do u think he got any potential to become a new president to help the badminton community?

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    not that many anymore..I know KLRC decided not to sponsor Nicole/Reid this year and may be Russian players too....so far only Zhou Mi, Petya, some Taiwanese players, Ramussesn ( Danish MD)...

but Andrew Kam did not get many supports as he claimed...I believe so far Australia, HKG, Bulgaria will support him...joining " may be" Canada, NZ or Taiwan...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro, thanks for the info.. but do u think he got any potential to become a new president to help the badminton community?
    yes..he does but the problem is he is attached with Punch Gunalan...so many scandals will be discussed in coming up on meeting in GZ....like someone using BWF's fund to book hotel rooms during OG Beijing to make money. for example....

Punch has too many baggages for Andrew....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes..he does but the problem is he is attached with Punch Gunalan...so many scandals will be discussed in coming up on meeting in GZ....like someone using BWF's fund to book hotel rooms during OG Beijing to make money. for example....

Punch has too many baggages for Andrew....
    Hopefully the new president able to improve their internal management and bring up the good reputation from the peoples who support badminton.

bro, any potential president in your mind which can help the badminton community?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully the new president able to improve their internal management and bring up the good reputation from the peoples who support badminton.

bro, any potential president in your mind which can help the badminton community?
    Kang is still good but BWF needs to deepen " Marketing dept"..I heard they are hiring someone to make Badminton "COOL"...
    BWF did get rid off "some bad apples"....but still many rooms to improve...otherwise IOC can cut off Badminton from 2020..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets hope Andrew Kang able to change the badminton community and bring back some coolz stuff in badminton.

BWF need to start look forward for more exciting stuffs and expand their exposure in finding more badminton talent.

Kang is still good but BWF needs to deepen " Marketing dept"..I heard they are hiring someone to make Badminton "COOL"...
    BWF did get rid off "some bad apples"....but still many rooms to improve...otherwise IOC can cut off Badminton from 2020..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets hope Andrew Kang able to change the badminton community and bring back some coolz stuff in badminton.

BWF need to start look forward for more exciting stuffs and expand their exposure in finding more badminton talent.
    That's exactly what badminton needs! To make this game COOL...
    Why can't Dr. Kang just get rid of the bad apples right now?

Oh, by the way, I still cannot figure out Datuk Andrew Kam's idea on: how a 'professional badminton club' should design its business model? As far as I can see... KLRC's revenue stream is still relying heavily heavily heavily on Datuk Kam's other businesses (mining or something)... A professional basketball club like the Lakers have clear revenue and profit stream for me... A professional football/soccer club like Manchester United also have a clear business model... But KLRC?!? Not clear.

The big INA badminton clubs I know are set up by different businesses with a clear intention of helping INA badminton only. Nationalism is the driving force. But KLRC... I don't have a clear view here... Just helping badminton in general?!? For whose fame and glory? Datuk Kam's fame and glory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dato Andrew Kam as the BWF president? I think he is too ambitious for that. Looking at the pathetic state in KLBA and as the president of KLBA, I don't think he has done anyhing to help the state players and fulfil his responsibility. With a large gold mine backing him up, he got a bright chance to be elected as the president.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK, Dr. Kang said he's gonna away from badminton world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little OOT...
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..is this basically a 2-man race??..
    I once planned to join the race, but unfortunately I have very limited fund.
    And I'm saving it for a... XBOX360.
    Guess I'll give it a try in 202X.

Anyway, anyone elected will have to popularize badminton more and more and more.
    I want to see Mozambique SS, Liechtenstein SS, Nepal SS, or Thomas-Uber final held in Paraguay 10 years from now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry. I know this is a typo but just for fun, would a gestalt of Andrew Kang and Kang Young Joong actually be the best choice? It might involve, at the very least, a pooling of their two fortunes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narnia View Post
    AFAIK, Dr. Kang said he's gonna away from badminton world.
    which direction will he be heading too next?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel
    Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
    I'm sorry. I know this is a typo but just for fun, would a gestalt of Andrew Kang and Kang Young Joong actually be the best choice? It might involve, at the very least, a pooling of their two fortunes.
    Darn. Now I've repeated the typo. I meant, of course, of Andrew Kam and Kang Young Joong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure Gunalan would love a combination of his and Kang's names.
    Imagine a literal exposition of: 'Punch Kang'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast