Mavis 2000 Review

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Destricto_Ense, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Yonex have a new plastic shuttle, the MAV2000. It has been reviewed on the badmania.fr website.
    I ran the review through Google translate, then used my reasonable knowledge of French to make it slightly more understandable.

I really want to get my hands on a set of them now, but details of them seem to be scarce on the net..

2. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

if u really want them you can buy them at Shuttle House. although it is very expensive.

3. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

Yonex mavis 2000

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new mavis 2000 yet?
    i've seen it on yonex's site just now and wondering how much it is
    and how much dose it differ from mavis 350

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  5. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I just picked up a tube 12.99 for the half dozen. My opinion is that yonex got it pretty close to a feather, but some things are off. The blue cap flies pretty close to a 77 speed shuttle but its impact feels like a 78/51 speed shuttle. Ill be doing more testing this week and come out with a more in depth review.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    u coming to GG next week? bring some over and let me try it out!

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

have your cold hands loosen up a bit?;)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is for the good of the general knowledge here in BC to be able to report on if any progress is being made on plastics. i will continue to be a feather user.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i'm sure of that, i was just teasing lah.:D

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I just had a chance to test the MAV2000 over the weekend. It is surprising better than I thought. As the other review said, it feel faster initially after inpact. However, it slow down much faster than MAV500. Trajectory is not as same as AS shuttles. Given I compare the MAV2000 vs AS30, the MAV2000 goes about 3 to 6 in further than AS30 with base line under hand serve. Only one thing MAV2000 is much different is back court slice. It tumbles less and not as tight as AS30. Everything else fell "Good enough".
    It is good for beginners because they can play 2~3 good matches before the head goes soft (Due to miss hit and fram shot). The cheap @$$es likes it because it is more economical than real feather. I would say it is better then the cheap feather because of consistncy, durability and closer feeling to real feather. However, I would still prefer good real feather over MAV2000.

Good replacement for cheap feather and practice for high school.

11. avataar

avataar Regular Member

The Mavis 2000 was highlighted by Yonex at the recent IO at Hyderabad. They had a huge promotional billboard just outside the main entrance of the arena...

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Its nice to hear plastic shuttlecocks are improving - I might buy some Mavis 2000's after hearing that good review.

Who knows , maybe one day we will use a shuttle which flys just like feather shuttlecocks but won't break as quickly :D

13. illusionistpro

kwun, lets merge this thread with the other mavis 2000 thread. SilentHeart had a good post in that thread regarding the feel of the shuttle.

I wont be there at g1 for training, but im going to definitely drop in after work, I get off at 8 in sf, and see if I can get a few singles games in before closing. If you're there late we can hit them around a bit. FYI I bought the tube at bay badminton, but it looked like they only had one other tube. Are these not getting good distribution yet?

14. illusionistpro

Master SH do you think they actually fly faster initially after impact or just a heavy hitting feel? I just felt like they were heavy feeling, but flight path was very similar to feather, possibly a little on the flat side, with out as much lift as feather shuttles seem to have.

So far they seem like they will be a good substitute for doing drills and training. 3-6 inches is certainly tolerable seeing how the other mavis shuttles were more like a foot farther, fly faster and fly with a worst trajectory/flight path. I'll see if i can get to a scale this week to weigh out each shuttle, mite give us more information regarding the 'heavy' plastic feel.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Dear Maser Pro,

To me, it seen faster when the 1/2 smash coming at me (my friend has to hit 1/2 smash at me for me to observe). I would also agree that it might feel heavier than feather on the impact. However, I am pretty sure the weight for mid speed is 5.0g+-0.1g. I will weight it later tonight and take picture to show.

You are totally right on on the trajectory. It seen flatter. It seen to me like it is trying to break but it start to slow down just a little bit later. I feel that is the cause of the extra 3 in to 6 in. The way I tested it was opening a tube of MAV2000 and a tube of AS30. Serving forehand under hand from base line as hard as I can with alt AS30 and MAV2000. AS 30 consistently land about 3~6 in inside of double service line while MAV2000 land on the line or 3+ in outside of double service line.

My thought on this is AS30 and higher are standard of feather shuttles. If that is the case, MAV2000 can be as good as the cheaper shuttles and more consistent and durable the the cheap one.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so i tried out the mavis 2000 tonight. (thx illusionistpro!)

while the initial feel is better than previous mavis, the feel and flight character is still not close to feather.

firstly, the impact feeling is too soft and damped. it not snappy like a feather. it feels more like a rubber ball. it is also feels a bit heavier than feather, probably mostly because it is softer and deforms more at impact when compare to feather.

secondly, the flight, while there is a slight improvement, the lack of rigidity of the skirt still do not allow the shuttle to slow down. when hit hard, it just collapses and then fly off like a bullet. the recovery time of the skirt seems better now so it decelerate more rapidly when compared to previous mavis, it is still not any where close to feather. and we weren't really hitting very hard either. if a real hard smasher hit it, i believe there won't be enough time for it to recover and it will just fly like a bullet.

we think that it will be OK if one is not a hard hitter (ie. beginner or low intermediate), and want some extra durability. otherwise, it is back to the drawing board.

17. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    wow... you'd think with all the technological marvels that YY has created, and developed or are developing...

You'd think by now that manufacturers might decide to create a proper plastic shuttle as close as possible to characteristics of real feathers.

What a shame...

I do however see big reason why a manufacturer would not make such a shuttle though...

Economics...
    Shuttles are big & easy money.
    allow me to restate... any consumable product, is big and easy money for manufacturers :)
    That's why everybody and their mom has a brand label, and we can even go to the factories and make up our own no name label if we pay enough money.

Anywho...
    I'm looking forward to trying some out myself to see how they compare.

(I'm still semi-retired so I dont take much time to play at the moment :p)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i havent tried it yet but my guess even before all this testing is that it is still the same old mavis, just some minor tweaking of the skirt design, still nylon after all u know;)

To improve the mavis, yonex has to do some major modification, like newer stiffer plastic or carbon fiber impregnation. Reshaping the same old skirt does very little. My belief is that mavis 2000 will be slightly less durable than mavis 300.

19. illusionistpro

No problem Kwun, and good game tonite. Singles next week!

I think Kwuns analysis is spot on. There is a crispness you feel when you strike a feather shuttle, and theres a dull rubbery feeling when you strike a plastic. Flight path and trajectory were close 85-90%, but initial speed off the racket seems fast, and the skirt slows it down afterwards. I doubt ill be doing more "testing" these are probably going to be for hard smash practice, where feathers will get shredded fast, or if i come across new players who's technique isnt worth a feather shuttle.

The real issue with plastics is the rigidity of the skirt. A good synthetic will really replicate a feather shuttle, but I think the difficulty will be in finding a good material for the vanes. If you choose something soft, you'll get a product like what we have. If you choose something more firm, you will produce a shuttle that is "synthetic" however it will be brittle and break just like a feather, thus defeating purpose of the syntheticness. catch 22 indeed. I think the purpose and goals of produceing a synthetic needs to be address to either a high quality renewable low cost shuttle, (which is asking a lot) or a durable shuttle, which is what we have.

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    You mean like the mavis 350/370? :p

500 was great but in very short supply.

Pick some up Cooler, and bat it around... let us know what you think.

:D

Hmm...
    I think you get the above quoted affect.

I firmly believe that with all the advances, and current available technology, and material they should be able to produce a nylon shuttle that play exactly like a high quality feather shuttle.

Its just the economics of doing that, which is stopping manufacturers from doing so.

Ah well, at least it is as close to feather as you can get.

Thanks everyone for your testing & input... I had been curious how they perform.