how to practice consistency?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Carbonlist, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    me and my partner plays doubles...we can definitely jump smash and get it in from back court 80% of the time...but this is kiling us

we played against another doubles team. first game we were smashing as hell but lost it 18-21 then in our second game me and my partner dropped everything close to the back service line. and we won 21-15. then 21-16.

i highly doubt we can keep up this dropping thing cause provincials are coming up in a month. I would like to now a way to increase consistency when smashing from the back. 80% just isn't good enough. dropping is really not a good option.

we are both playing in u18

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

How is dropping not a good option? Unless the way you hit gives away that you're dropping, your opponent will be lifting the majority of the time. If you see that they're staying closer to the net because they sense you're dropping, just smash it or do an offensive clear to the back to put more pressure.

Anyways, you didn't mention whether it goes out on the side lines or back. If you're smashing out because you smash too high, then you obviously need to practice smashing at an angle. If it's side lines, stop aiming for lines and hit in the middle. If you still want to aim for the side lines, don't aim for the line and just try to get it in that area.

Increasing consistency is just a matter of practicing the same shot over and over again.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    As Joseph says, just hit the same shot over and over until it's perfect lol. That's as complicated as it gets. Once it's consistent in practise (over 80%), make it consistent in match play and the only way to do that is play more matches.

4. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    will try my best...i guess i'll just have to invest some money in 4 tubes of birds...and go for a smashout routine.
    *sigh* thought there might be an easier way out.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You don't need brand new birds to practice with. Just use decent birds you find lying around on the court. It's nice to use new birds, but its not always necessary to do so.

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I'm a little confused. A dropshot wouldn't be landing at the rear service line.

maybe the reason you lost the first game is not your consistency problem and is something else. The harder you hit the shuttle the faster it comes back! Try to bear this mind when as a pair you may be out of position, over stretched, defenders base is deep etc. Hit smashes to an area that give your partner a chance to reach or put away the defenders return. Your problem may only be positional errors, where you hit the shot to and where you're standing in the court. The fact that you won the following games playing a more defensive style confirms this.

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    lol are u kidding? 80% is very consistant...and not only that i would reccomend you dont stick purely to smashing. drops drives aggressive clears all change up the pace of the rally and at times catch your opponents off gaurd.

but if ur gona be retarted and stick to a pure smashing game then only way to gain consistancy is by doing repetitive drills. eg.
    smash net lift.
    clear clear smash net lift clear clear smash net lift etc etc.

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    not trying too hard is very important. instead of thinking about the smash as a killing blow, use it to set up your frontman. you should not be at all surprised if it comes back. if it doesn't, great! if it does, keep playing with the intent to setup your partner. doubles isn't all about one person.

#8 Shifty, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    80% means 1 failure out of 5 smashes? that's really quite bad...and whether to drop or to smash would depend on your opponent. I'm sure there are many more factors to analyse, apart from just smash or drop, that attributes you you guys winning or losing...

Nevertheless, it is a must to keep up to an acceptable level of consistency in all shots to compete...so have fun with your drills

10. mtizzo2229

mtizzo2229 Regular Member

student
    my coach told me about somthing like this cause im terrible at smashing from the back . he told never smash from the back untill u have practised it to perfecto the only place where you should be smashing from is from the net an half way back thats called the smashing zone he sed when i shot comes to back drive it inot the space