how long will it take to get good if ......

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mtizzo2229, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mtizzo2229

mtizzo2229 Regular Member

student
    hi, what it is is that im 16 i started badminton properly in january 09 but ive played when i was younger with my dad like no lessons or out im small build not fat an im one of those people who are good at every sport an i dont mean that in a big head way i know train badminton bout 5 hours a week on sunday i play an hour monday i play an hour wednesday i play an hour an friday i play 2 hours an get trained an hour on friday so it is quite alot the thing im asking is that if i stick to it how long will it be till i get good? thanks :confused:
    i also wanted to know if there is a chance of me playing at national level i live england btw just asking because i know i might be to old now thanks

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Well, how good is good? National level, I must say I highly doubt that, most national players (even most county players) will have had a 6 year minimum headstart on you and there just aren't enough hours in the day to catch that up. I have no doubt that you'll become a fairly good player providing you keep training like that - you may make county level and win some big tournaments but I think national level is pushing it a bit too far. You could always prove me wrong though ;)

3. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    As Dan said national not very likely well not for a long time if at all. County is highly possible unless u live in yorkshire cus they have the best county under 17's in the UK and have done for a good few years. i was exactly the same as you good at every sport but i started late but not as late as you, i started at 14 and a half. i was in the county squad just before i was 16. went it ranked bottom at like 11th i think in under 17's i v now moved up to 17-21's but i got to rank 4th and rank 1 and 2 are national standard in their age group.
    the oldest i know of anyone making it to national level from a late age is my coach Becky Pantaney, she started at 12.
    But county is a definate possiblity.
    good luck dont give up

4. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    its not IMPOSSIBLE to reach national level starting at 16. Although you might not be able to reach at 20, or 25, it could be at 30. And it's not all about training every single day for countless hours, you might be able to progress faster than other players(talent). I'm just like you, i progress incredibly fast in every sport i play and i catch on to it quickly

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    depends on how committed you are and how progressive you will be.

took me 2 years from never even knowing about the sport to making nationals and being competitive in open grade. Then i took a year off so im back to square 1 again. (bad move lol )

some ppl fastrack other take years and go nowhere. id say good being competitive A grade (Step below national) might take you 1-2 years.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    the quality of the training is often more important than the quantity of training. just keep that in mind.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh c'mon guys (DanStevens, noppy)! Don't be pessimistic. If mtizzo2229 really believes he can make it to nationals, let him. I know you guys have your opinion about this, but let's not crush his dreams.

mtizzo2229, if you really really genuinely put your mind into it, I have no doubt you'll make it to the nationals. Just don't forget us when that time comes. :)

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm not so sure, badminton is reasonably competitive in the UK, I think it may take him longer than that. It's definitely possible for the OP to do very well though.

I did say I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong and I wish him all the best in trying to achieve his dream. It's just that not many players become national/elite players starting at such a late age. Either way, if he concentrates on practise, whether he makes national level or not, he should be a great player.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Well, statistically you have very low chance of making the national team - there are just so many players who are prepared to train just as hard and are just as naturally "sporty" as you. Of course, I could say that to any aspiring player, so you shouldn't be put off by that.

It takes a lot more than just training a lot, and being naturally sporty. You need the right attitude; to meet and impress the right people; a lot of luck; a "badminton mind"; and all kind of other intangibles. I believe there's a lot to badminton that just can't be taught - if you're lucky enough to possess these gifts, and train hard aswell, then there's no reason why you can't do very well.

Finally, while it's good to have a long-term goal to motivate you, you also need to remember the reason why you play - to have fun. If you start taking it too seriously so you get over-stressed when you can't perform as you'd like, or it has very detrimental effects on other aspects of your life, then I think you'd need to reassess your goal.

Good luck :)

10. mtizzo2229

student
    what about if i could get like personally coached cause my teacher use to be ranked 13th in england but he wont coach but if i could get him to caoch me what dyu think

11. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    If he teaches/coaches u, u will get into county easily

12. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    all the more reason why he might be a fast learner. the higher the competitive level the faster the improvement.

EG if you have bad players you play against you wont progress that much because there is not a real high standard to compete with. If its very competitive all your doing is playing better and better players learning more and better techniques and always playing a higher standard of badminton.

thus you will improve quicker than normal.

Im still thinking around 2 years before you make a high competitive level. maybe 5 years for experience to kick in and getting close to nationals.

13. dragtyson

dragtyson Regular Member

Well, I'm currently 14 and started playing at around 12 (not competitive/seriously). I also want to make it to nationals if not internationals for Canada :p. I go by this saying I read from a book once that goes something by the lines of "If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it." So I'd say just try and have fun along the way. Badminton is fun at all levels xD

-Draggy

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    That's the spirit!

I'm 23. I have no intentions of making it to the nationals, but I wanna keep on improving. That's why I stay away from those people who drag me down. :)

15. mtizzo2229

student
    anymoor would be good

16. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    mtizzo2229

Im gonna be totally honest - without seeing you play its very hard to judge what chances you have. as a coach myself i am always very honest to my players.

at 16 it is highly unlikely you will reach a national level in time to make the england squad say but theres no reason why you cant get to that standard later in life. I started when i was 15 from scratch, have had and still have coaching once a week for 2 hours from nathan rice, paul trueman, chris tonks (former england internationals). I also play for warwks and also in the top 2 divisions in the area for club. at 25 i know i have no chance of officially making it to the national team but im determined to become a national standard county player at some point - even in my 30's. Id be more than happy with that.

my advice - get some quality coaching, train hard, find a decent club where you can put training in to practice but above all whatever happens - enjoy it.

17. DeadlyDuck

DeadlyDuck Regular Member

if you can progress quickly in sports, which i have found myself its great, but sometimes, skills from other sports can carry over into badminton. This can be good or bad. Like i throw javelin and it helps my spike strength a lot.