Badminton Drive

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ryomalover1994, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ryomalover1994

ryomalover1994 New Member

High School
    I was playing with a guy partner today and I noticed it was hard for me to keep up a drive with him.I'm a freshman girl about 4'9" on high school team,so I'm fairly new at badminton.How long am I supposed to be able to keep up a drive for?The longest I noticed was about a minute before I slipped up and missed the shuttle.Any ways to improve upon drives?:crying:Also,the guy I was practicing with said I use my arm too much.I'm used to playing tennis so is there a way where I focus more on my wrist and less on my arm movement?:confused:

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

First off, it takes time to develop consistency to drive for a long period of time. You need to develop your forearm muscles, hand-eye coordination, and technique. Just be patient with yourself and just practice. I would be wary to take advice from your partner since there may be a possibility of him advising you incorrectly. Though if he has more experience, he probably knows a thing or two.

We also can't really say anything unless we can actually see how you hit. Though I think playing tennis has probably caused some problems, technique wise, for you.

3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    technique wise you can post a video of yourself hitting...otherwise the advice you'll get is prolly what you can find if you do a search, since there's plenty of threads on drives...

4. ryomalover1994

ryomalover1994 New Member

High School
    Forearm muscles,as in biceps?:eek:I'm like as skinny as a twig,I'm not sure if it's possible for me to develop muscle.And by the way,does bouncing the shuttle on my racket help with hand-eye coordination?I find that difficult to do since whenever the shuttle lands back down on my racket it bounces in a different direction.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

No no, not biceps but are close to your biceps. Just go down your arm past your elbow and you'll hit your forearm muscles. You will develop muscle over time, but you won't notice it. And don't worry, you won't turn into a girl with huge muscles but you will be stronger.

Rather than bouncing the shuttle on your racket, just continue driving since you can at least keep up a drive for a bit. Though bouncing the shuttle on your racket does take some amount of control, but I wouldn't do it unless you absolutely cannot hit the shuttle.

6. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

If you play tennis, should you not already have crazy amazing forearm strength?