Stringing methods. Help?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by YinLoung, Mar 3, 2009.

1. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Hi, I'm planning to get a stringing machine and string my own racket from when I get it. However, I've been browsing for quite a while in this section but it seems that most videos are no longer available on Youtube.

Could someone guide or tell me what are the things I should be looking out for when stringing my first rackets ( ArcSabers mostly at around 24-27 lbs). I'm probably going to get a crank machine.

If possible, I would like to see a complet video on stringing a racket.

Questions:
    Why do some people preweave? What is it for?
    Difference between different kind of clamps.
    Does it really matter if we follow YY's suggested method for X rackets?
    Is there a difference between stringing a racket slowly and fast? Lets say if I take 3 hours to string a racket because I take breaks in between or that I start to string in the morning and continu after school. Will there be a difference? Will it damage the racket?
    One of my racket has a small crack at 12o'clock. Any advice on keeping an eye for when I string that myself? ( With close to absolutely no experience with stringins)

Besides that, any suggestion for which machine I should get? MY budget is round 300-500$. A bit over or lesser is fine.

Thank you.

2. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    i was the e position as you a year ago,,i bought a stringing machine in january 2008 and i now have strung many rackets both badminton and tennis and i would now class my self a good quality stringer

once you buy your stringer, i would purchase some yonex floating clamps, they are so good..before you string your racket i would make a quick drawing of the head, how many mains, crosses and which mains and crosses to miss out grommets when stinging, unless you have another of th same racket already strung which you can copy off.

also maybe worth buying a few bits of string that you can just practise stringing you old racket may be,,

hope this helps...if you need a help just ask

3. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    i have this stringing machine http://www.racquetsolutions.co.uk/uploads/images_products/411.jpg
    i am very happy with it,,,you should consider it,,,its on ebay uk in your price range and it strings tennis squash and badminton..as i said earlier gets some yonex floating clamps,,

for your cracked racket,, it mught be worth stringing it but if its a definatly a crack maybe go on low tension..i also find it easest to string in two pieces..anymore questions just post then and i will answer then.

hope this helps again:cool:

4. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

luckily you are in UK.
    many Pro's Pro machine reseller there as like watdon

I bought my Yonex Clamps from them which I found the cheapest online eventhough add shipping cost to Singapore.

But for Canada, there are lot of choices from many vendors.

5. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    where can i find a decently priced yonex flying clamp in Canda? my local store sells it at 40$CAD each!!! thanks

6. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Watdon seems to have the cheapest prices by far. I bought a pair late last year and shipping to Ontario was only 3.5 pounds.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Let me try to answer a few questions:

1. Whether pre-weave or not, it's down to your own preference. Pre-weave give you a bit flexibility, to pre-done some work, well the actual "machine usage" time is shorter. Also, some ppl believe pre-weave can be a bit easier to deal with "shared gromments". Personally, I do not use pre-weave, and do not see any disadvantage, either.

2. Fix clamps suppose to hold tension a bit better. Therefore for crank machine, fix clamps should yield a bit better result. Flying clamps can make you work faster, and if you use consistent pull machine (drop weight, electrical, etc), then all the extra lost tension will be made up by the next pull.

3. For Yonex rackets, better follow the string pattern, for warranty concerns.

4. You NEVER want to leave a half done rackets sitting on the machine (or even worse, un-mounted) for hours. The un-even force will damage the racket, and provide very poor final job quality. Once you string to tension, you would want to just spend the hour, and carefully do a good job.

5. For a racket in poor condition, you may not want to use it on the 1st try, and/or with high tension. If you really want to string that racket, wait when you get enough experience, and work with lower tension.

My #1 suggestion is NEVER NEVER NEVER use a $200 racket w/ 25+ lbs for the 1st try. Use an old/cheap racket, some junk strings, and work around 20lbs for a few runs. Once you get the feeling and confidence, then slowly climb up hill, then work on the real deal. ;)

8. 2-YOTA

2-YOTA Regular Member

To keep my rackets away from the 12 minute NASCAR
    You bet there is! You need to learn TURBO STRINGING and complete the job in 12-minutes or less. By this method, all your grommets will be burned up and the strings well heat broken in too. This ensures your strings will break soon after playing and the good news is you can start on your next practice string up again at this point. The sad part is turbo stringing may result in broken frames too so beware.

Best to follow LazyBuddy's advice! Take your time and do a good job. Just don't leave your rackets sitting on the machine half-done up.

And as others have mentioned, we also found Watdon to be a good place for the Yonex flying clamps.

Good luck.

9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    That's right!! Leave the turbo string jobs to the "pros" and do a good job yourself!!! If you hear intense whistling while pulling the string through grommets, you are becoming too pro and need to go SLOWer!!! Remember that stringing is not a race, so spend EXTRA time making sure it's mounted properly and the risk of cracking is less.

My first time stringing on my own I did my At900P @ 33x36.3lbs and it worked out. My current string job was modelled after Pete_LSD (Little shoulder devil's) 35x38.5lbs with the bg70pro!! Take your time and you'll be fine :)

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I believe that this is your handy work, GrandMaster OB :D

Mutual Power + WISE head = great combo :D

Attached Files:

11. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Is that an AT900C ?

12. rich_r

rich_r Regular Member

Hi, I wonder if someone could give me some advice on how to start with flying clamp. I am trying to use a two points simple drop weight machine. After I put clamp on a1 (at head) and pull on b1(at T joint) and then to tension and clamp on b1. But after that how do keep the tension on the b1 string? If loss it from the tension puller, the b1 will loss its tension and the clamp on it is useless.

I saw http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7168 has some help. But cannot follow what it described:
    "the tensioning pattern should be right-right-left-left-right-right-left-left ,...".

Could someone help me here?
    Thanks a lot!

13. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

the best resource : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44504&highlight=Klippermate

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
  15. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I cant agree more. I would highly recommend you try to ask your local proshop to see if they have any rackets with broken shafts. You can easily practice on that, but obviously cant use the racket. Or try to string a cheapie racket you or a friend might have at low tension. Get used to the method and technique to string first, before you go high tension like LB and Pete. Nothing will make you sadder than breaking your $100-$200 racket on a $15 string job. Just not worth it.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Do not put me in "high tension" category as Pete. Most of my work are no more than 26lbs, as I seriously doubt many club level players can really utilize such high tension to begin with. Of course, I do not mind to work with higher tension, with special request from certain players, especially if I know him/her well, and believe they have the strength / technique to begin with. Overall, I think my 26+lb work is less than 10-15% of my total. ;)