Shot Placement Tactics in Singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Mar 3, 2009.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I constantly ask the question, what are some common shot placements that should be done in singles? Some dos and dont's. The answers I get is always: it comes with experience. Its quite hard for me to analyze a game's shot placement, I don't even remember what score I get during the rally, so I really can't analyze shots in which I do wrong. I would like some feedback or common shots you guys do whenever this happens. A camcorder is not always available for me. For example, lets say right after you hit a shot at your opponent's forehand backcourt corner, and they still clear it back to you, you really like to overhead drop it to the forehand frontcourt corner. Things of that nature. Or things like, I like to do a crosscourt smash right after my opponent just...*fill in the blank*. Care to offer some strategies? Thanks.

#1 KazeCloud, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Shoe placement tactics?

Well, I like to smash after a tight net drop (if it rolls over that's even better). Does this help?

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oops. Somebody help me make it shot instead of shoe.

You like to smash the shot even if your opponent did a tight net drop? Well I wish I can do that if I had that much speed.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Aww, I thought this was going to be an interesting thread regarding footwear and tactics. The actual subject is much more ordinary.

One thing you can do is think about all those technical tips coaches always say: take the shuttle high, in front, line yourself up with the shuttle, get yourself balanced, etc. and try to play a shot which doesn't allow your opponent to do one (or more) of those things. If you play a shot that your opponent can retrieve comfortably, then you haven't gained anything or your might even lose the advantage if his shot is good.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I meant, after I do a tight net drop. Then go back and smash the lift, you're not expecting your opponent to do anything else. If they net drop back you're standing there already. The best thing they could do is lift, but chances that they'll lift to the baseline is pretty slim if you do a tight enough net drop.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Great that makes much more sense. Do tight drops and smash the lift. Would be good if you can be even more specific. Left drop or right side lift or crosscourt etc. Good one though.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Things are done through observation and experimenting yourself. It'll be easier if you take a look at better players and see what works for them. Many people follow patterns, whether they're conscious of it or not.

8. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

Shot placements are hard to say, since we don't have any information, about you, or your opponents.

Watch your opponent, if you see a pattern, then use it to your advantage... i.e. if I do that shot, then he will do that shot, so I can cheat over to that side a little.

Specific tactics are hard to say, again, since we don't know anything about your or your opponent. In your question, you mentioned a x-court smash after a lift. If they have a good defense then they can drive straight, forcing you to clear/lift.

So...hard to tell. Basics are what stumblingfeet mentioned. I would like to add that you want to move your opponent around, using the 4 corners, and then smash when you have a chance, and you are ready to smash.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Look for any opportunity to establish a common pace and then significantly change it to mess up opponents. Example: long clearing, then sudden fastdrop or accurate smash. Pretty much, mix everything up.

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    think of the concept this way. Find the space where your opponent isnt and put it there.

Hit it where your opponent isnt if hes at the back drop to the front if hes at the front attack to the back if hes central attack the lines either side or push him to the back to open up the front of the court.

You cant find a commen placement from someone and use that. EG someone says drop to the front right corner.

it will take 2 minutes before your opponent picks that up.

You need to take notice watch your opponent and set yourself up.

11. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

I've always thought about pinning them deep in their own court and following with a steep smash/kill or drop

*Note: By "pinning" them deep I mean getting to the shuttle early and pushing a few consecutive drives fast enough that they don't have time to get back to their "base" so that they are "stuck" in their backcourt - if that makes any sense

12. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

yes, that is good idea. especially their backhand corner with maybe punch clears to get them totally out of position and then a steep drop/smash to the front forehand corner. they will be totally off balanced and hard to recover. punch clear is a very good way to get opponents off balance either to left or right back corner, will expose their forecourt and opportunity for attack. (looks like same position as normal clear but played flatter and faster giving opponent less time to recover)

another good one is net roll in front backhand side (ur side) most of the time if they lift (like joseph said) you can try smash, otherwise if its another net roll back, can backhand flick/drive to their backhand corner. 9/10 will result in a weak return from ur opponent ready for ur kill :)