Humidifying the shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Mag, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I remember reading somewhere about three ways to humidify feather shuttles to make them last longer in dry conditions. Does anyone remember this, or maybe you have devised other ways to do it? I've started to consume shuttles like never before, and just realised it could have something to do with that the weather is quite cold and dry here right now.

Shuttlecock.com had an article on this, but they seem to be in a turmoil, so that link doesn't work anymore.

2. cb

cb Guest

Here in Cowtown, Canada, we have to steam the birds or
    they wouldn't last more than 3 points.

I usually put a few birds(enough for the night) into a spare
    tube and then let the kettle steam go through the tube for
    about 10 seconds. That's all you need. Keep the tube
    closed to keep the moisture in.

3. Dude

Dude Guest

I have always been taught this:

To make shuttles (feather) last longer put them in the freezer for humidifying purposes.

I put it in the freezer with one cap off and take the shuttles out in the morning of the day when I need to play (defrost at room temp).

gluck

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    San Diego Badminton Supply had details for humidifying printed and included with shuttle orders a couple of years ago. Check their web site www.badminton.net

what I remember:
    1) steaming as you describe.
    2) prepare pot of boiling water. remove all shuttles from tube. hold shuttle by base and dip feathers *only* into hot water. shake excess water off. place shuttle in tube. Repeat for rest of shuttles and close tube. Do this the day before using. (I have not tried this because I don't think my wife would approve of my shaking water all over the kitchen :)
    3) cut small piece of sponge 1 inch by 1 inch. dampen it and place in tube day before use. (This is the method i prefer. But as Cheung pointed out once, don't get the sponge too wet or leave it in tube for a week or so before using shuttles. Mold will grow. I can confirm this :-(

On freezing shuttles: a friend tried this and didn't defrost them before using. Every shuttle wobbled badly, probably because tube was lying on its side and moisture condensed on one side of shuttles, then froze. we had to hit clears for about 4 minutes to thaw the shuttle out.

good luck.

5. Canyt

Canyt Guest

What I do...I put all my shuttlecocks inside the tubes of course.. and put them in the bathroom that I shower in. If you shower at least once a day...that should be good enough~ be sure to put both caps on to keep the moisture in though^^

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Thanks all

I used the steaming kettle technique yesterday, and I was amazed at the result. This morning I had 2 hours of singles power play, and we averaged at about 2 shuttles per match! Compare that to the 5-7 shuttles per match we've been averaging on lately. I never thought it would make that much difference! Thanks for the advice!