Should I change my strings before the tournament?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ALI, Aug 18, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I'm wondering, do you change your strings before a tournament. You see, I'm using Yonex Ti-10 with BG68Ti, strung at 22 lbs (strung 4 months ago). Over the past 4 months, I normally play only once a week, about 2 hours every session.

I haven't see any wear and tear on my strings, but the fear of the string snapping during my tournament is always on my head. I do have another spare racquet (Yonex Ti-8), but this racquet is still my favourite.

But, I normally don't like to use racquets which are just strung. I normally need time to get used to it, like playing with it for about a few times. This might be due to the fact that I want the string tension to drop a little bit.

Now, the tournament is 3 weeks away. What would you do if you are in my situation? Replace the string (and use 3 weeks to get used to it), or not replace it (the last time I use this string, it lasted 10 months, with the same intensity - play once every week, 2 hours each time). Thanks for your opinion.

2. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I personally don't think you should, If there are not broken or worn, why replace them. And you present ones are already worn in so it might be better that way.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Don't worry about it

Unless the string is frayed or the tension has dropped too much, there is really no reason to restring.

4. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Buy one more racket

Don't restring, better buy one spare Ti10. Having two identical rackets will greatly limit string problems during tournament.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Three racquets would be even better:)
    Even with two racquets, one racquet might break leaving you with only one racquet you 'must use'.

6. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I fully agree with Cheung.
    That's why I always carry 5 rackets for my "big" games; 2 MP90s, 2 Iso 800s, 1 MP100.
    :D

All are strung with the same string and around the same tension +/- 1 lb.

7. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I wish I had the luxury of carrying 5 racquets with me to touraments....:rolleyes:
    I only carry my racquet and my other $10 indestructible racquet as my backup...:p

Oh yea, another way to prepare for a tournament is to meet new friends and ask them if you could borrow their racquet. I am pretty sure that you will get what you ask...hehe...:D

8. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    ya stay with your strings sometimes different batch of strings will play differently

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    ALI,

I wouldn't change the strings. I went the ESBA national school finals with bg-65 that were terribly worn. They lasted me a singles and doubles game against 16 different schools. But it is best to have 3/4 rackets that are the same and have the same string at same tension. This will save u alot of problems..

Matt