Head Heavy Racket + Beginner = Bad technique?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rezniv, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rezniv

rezniv Regular Member

Hi everyone, it all started 3 months ago, when a guy from church asked me to join them for badminton on a Sunday evening. So I went, I swung, and I was conquered by this sport, I was instantly hooked and that night I did something that changed my life, I googled “badminton forums”. :D

3 months later, after countless youtube videos, countless racket reviews, countless dreams about playing badminton, countless nights sleeping with my racket next to me and countless working hours spent lurking around the forums. I decided to make a post of my own :p.

I always liked the armortec series, not only because the name alone sounded way cool-er than others like Arc Saber which sounded like some gay sword in a movie (Quoted from a friend) but also their reputation to produce powerful smashes!

So about a month ago, I went to a shop and bought AT500. About 2 weeks ago I realized I’ve been gripping the racket incorrectly and so I started learning the proper strokes by watching lots of youtube videos (And I am planning on taking some badminton lessons from a real coach soon). From the mirror, my strokes look pretty ok, but after I get on the court I forget all the techniques and can’t feel my arm/wrist movements as clearly as I can without the shuttle, so I can’t really tell if I’m doing it right or wrong.

Yesterday, my friend let me play with his AT700 (old) and AT900P, I feel like I can smash a lot harder, but I think the problem is that when I swing with 700 and 900, the gravity helps me a lot because of the head heaviness of these 2 rackets, and thus I didn’t need to put as much wrist power into it to make the shot, so I think the power comes from 80% arm and only 20% wrist.

But I really liked AT700 and want to get one from china soon, so my question is, should I play with a less head heavy racket to train my techniques first? Would I develop a bad stroke if I play with a very head heavy racket from the start?

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's important that you train your stroke to always be correct with any racquet; you cannot allow yourself to fall victem to using your arm too much when you start with a heavier racquet, you must strengthen your forearm so you can do the same motions.

3. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    heres for trying something completely different.
    try smash and clear and drop with only using your ab/core muscles to rotate your bodyand have your arm just naturally follow through. Most players at the higher level need to incorporate using core muscles more so they can get full power out of their smashes - but since youre a beginner you could probably do the system backwards and learn the harder part (body rotational power into an overhead stroke) rather than the easier part (arm strength+wrist/forearm strength) first.

4. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

You could always get the racket, and while playing with it to hardcore wrist training excersices so that as you progress your technique wont be affected that negatively becuase your wrist strength would be growing proportionally (hopefully...)

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Yes, I would also recommend this, except rotate your entire trunk using your hips as opposed to twisting your spine with your obliques. With a lot of beginners, especially older ones, there is sometimes a tendency to have overdeveloped fine motor control skills relative to underdeveloped gross motor control. What happens is that you can mimic the motion of racquet during a correct stroke, have the racquet head move through the correct path, but if you don't have the proper energy transfer from the hips through the trunk then to the arm and racquet, your technique is not really correct.

What you do instead is relax your arm, so you can let it move naturally as a consequence of your body movement. So, if you want to contact the shuttle high, you learn to "throw" your arm high with your body while keeping the arm relaxed. The use of a heavier racquet actually helps quite a lot with this. With a heavier racquet, you don't have as much direct control over it, which means that you cannot rely on your fine motor control skill and you have to bring your gross motor control into play.

6. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I'll also agree to this. About racket selection: The last two rackets I got were both head heavy and im progressively using more head heavy, although I think im at my maximum range. One thing I noticed when i first switched over, was how effortless it is to get some good power out of a decent swing. Now im no powerhouse, im just saying in comparison, there was much more power available. The other thing I noticed were that I was more prone to swinging harder to get even more power, and I was over swinging/swinging too hard to the point of injury. Maybe I let the "power" go to my head, but I definitly found myself swinging hard enough to injure myself. The gym coach/owner told me its usually cause you can overdevelop major muscles, and make a lot of power, but you, end up having under developed smaller muscles, and tendons which stabilize your actions. I'd say, focus on technique, getting a good twist in your shot to really utilize your entire core power, and also focus on a good arm stroke to maximize your energy usage.

I just thought that its a little like sawing a piece of wood. You can use any saw, but a good wood saw would be best. A metal saw would work, but isnt the right tool for the job. Also using a full stroke and all the teeth versus small quick strokes and less teeth gets the job done faster, with less wear to the saw and least energy use by the user.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I think as long as you practice technique, you'll be fine regardless of what racket you use. I started out with a Carbonex 23 and it was pretty heavy compared to what everyone else was using and I still learned all the basics correctly.

8. rezniv

rezniv Regular Member

Thanks everyone, I bought a AT900p instead of the AT700 (old) which is overpriced in china atm and I had my first 1 hour coaching session yesterday. We did some overhead strokes, backhands and some simple footworks. After that I played 3 hours with my friends and I wasn't able to use any of the techniques I learnt from the coach correctly lol...guess I need more practice and more time to digest it. I will try using the hips more and throw my arm higher. The problem with my stroke is that I keep dropping my elbow and try to smash the bird downwards :S...

But yeh, with the AT900p I'm training my wrist with more weight and I think thats a good thing.