is it true?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mbrdanny, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mbrdanny

mbrdanny Regular Member

i heard from my friend that coloured strings have a coating of wax on them and will affect the performance of the string. is this true?

2. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    no.

Do red ferraris go slower than white ones?

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Not the bit about the wax.
    However, dark colored strings can be less durable than natural color strings. The colorant is almost like a contaminant, in that it replaces strength giving material.
    How much of an effect it has, I don't know.

4. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

sketchy hope you know that nylons aren't supposed to be white at all. and even for the most coloured strings, inside filaments are nearly the same colour for all colours of string if they are same strings.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    ...which is why I said "natural color" and not "white". And regardless what part of the string it is, it's still replacing useful material with a substance that does nothing but look pretty. Like I said, it's probably not a big difference though.

6. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    its not wax. its just the other colors are shinier.

My black bg65 reflects the light very much, but the white one dont.

7. 2-YOTA

2-YOTA Regular Member

To keep my rackets away from the 12 minute NASCAR
    It's plausible! Given a sunny day, a red Ferrari will reflect less of the sunlight resulting in more heat than a white Ferrari. This may directly result in a slightly higher ambient temperature in the engine compartment which would affect the intake charge as well. Cooler air is denser in oxygen which when combusted, will give more power. So a white Ferrari may be slightly quicker than a red one. And even more so than a black one. But given an overcast day, they should all perform evenly ... that was for scientific arguments sake. In real life, those cars have so much power, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between any of the paint colors once you start running them. The only color you would notice is the ones in your pants changing.

As for badminton strings, we have tested different colors to play differently. Some colors feel more "crisp" than others. Then it comes down to personal preference as we all prefer a certain feel we are comfortable with. I have also noticed that different color strings sometimes string up differently too. For one particular brand, different colors bend differently and have slightly different stiffness which is quite noticeable when I was stringing them up. As far as durability goes, we haven't noticed too much difference between different colors. The only thing we notice is the feel of the string between colors and thats it.