Help ! shuttlecock speed

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by ivan, Aug 18, 2002.

1. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    just received 3 dozens of shuttlecock, the problem is the speed is too slow, anyone got ne tips for me to put some gas into those damn birds?

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    The only thing you can do is hit the shuttle harder i'm afraid

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It depends on how slow the shuttles are compared to the normal speed of shuttles where you play.

If the difference is not that great, you can increase the speed by tipping the feathers inwards. You start off with tipping 4 feathers amongst the 16 feathers (so tip one per set of 4 feathers). If the speed is still slow, you can then tip another 4 feathers (making it one per set of 2). If that is still slow, then tip the rest of the feathers.

Tipping the feather required bending the feather at approx 1/8 inch from the end.

Do a search or check the badminton rules at the IBF site as there is a section on how to tip the feathers properly.

The standard speed for shuttles in N. Am. with some exceptions are around 77/78.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Winex,

Whats to say their feathers?

Matt

5. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    What's to say that they ain't ;D

If it's plastic, then to increase the speed, I would suggest that ivan put some blue tac on the inside of the base or if the tac wouldn't stick put in a small screw.

6. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the suggestion Winex and guess what, I tip the feather a bit and it works for few birds only, the problem is that you still can't get used to this tipping thing, and its kindda hard to push it inward equably (I have to tip all feathers in order to reach the normal speed we play here). I was thinking about put some tac and screw and I tried the screw one which works really well, but I successed only 8 out of 12 birds, the reason is that you have to find the exact middle point or the bird will fly in a strange motion. Sigh.... just a note for myself, buy birds locally even its only 3 dollars different per dozen then the Internet purchased.

Happy Bird Hunting

Ivan.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Moist

Tipping is standard procedure with lower grade shuttles.

An alternative is to wet or dampen the shuttles, then the weight will increase and the speed correspondingly.

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

The standard way, as for using shuttles, is to tip them foward or back. As for plastics, i dont know what i would do. Maybe as WWC said, use some blue tac?

Matt

9. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    It's okay to buy off the internet but you need to be specific about the shuttle speed. As I had said before, speed of 7/78 is normal in N. Am with a few exceptions (e.g. Calgary, Colorado)