Need help with understanding string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by iimonkey, Mar 5, 2009.

1. iimonkey

iimonkey Regular Member

Hi Everyone,

What I wanted to know is when ppl say that their racquet is strung at 24lbs, does that mean that it's strung 23X25? Sorry for the noob question, but i m confuse when i m reading discussions and often some ppl say XXlbs and others will say xxXxx. If someone can plz explain this to me that will be awesome. Thx so much and if this is a repost i m sorry (i couldn't find it).

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    OK, different people have different methods for describing string tension. Generally, we string the crosses 10% higher than the mains - this keeps the racket in its original (unstrung) shape when strung. If you string proportionally (which not many people do), I believe it is the average tension that you should give. Generally, people give the main tension if they don't give both or it could mean that they have the mains and crosses at the same tension. If in doubt, ask them what exactly they mean.

3. iimonkey

iimonkey Regular Member

Thank you Danstevens for your clarification. So when you buy a racquet (say from yonex) and they give you the recommended tension range, does that mean that they are giving you the main tension range while assuming that you would string your cross 10% higher?

4. Danstevens

Student
    Actually, I think with the Yonex recommendations, they are addressing the cross tension. You may wish to see here. They recommend the cross tension as the upper limit and the mains 2Lbs lower. The MPltd's recommended tension is listed as up to 24 on the frame.

5. iimonkey

iimonkey Regular Member

o, that makes sense...thanks again Danstevens

6. Danstevens

Student
    Not a problem.

Just to clarify, most Yonex rackets are good to well beyond 30Lbs if you need them to be. I'm not advising you do string to tensions that high, the option is still there though :D. The relatively conservative recommended tensions are just to cover their back. At high tensions, rackets are more prone to breakages from light clashes and mis-hits.

7. sockz

sockz Regular Member

is there a way to know at what tension is a racquet strung with by just physically feeling it? another question is, are most racquets strung with 22 X 22 lines of strings horizontally and diagonally? sorry if I ask stupid question, just want to clarify. Thanks.

8. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Hi Danstevens, have to really ask you this stupid question,
    when you say "crosses", you are referring to the strings that go horizontally as cf "mains" which is the string running vertically, right? :D

9. iimonkey

iimonkey Regular Member

I don't think u can tell how hard the string is strung @ simply by feeling it so no u cannot know what tension a racquet is strung at...danstevens was just saying that generally strings are strung 10% higher @ cross than main...so example is 22(main) x 24(cross) well technically 10% of 22 is 2.2 so cross should me 24.2 but we round down to 24. similarly if u string it @ 18 main than cross is technically 19.8 but we round up to 20...

@ szekt: main = vertical, cross = horizontal :)