User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: newbie racquet

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default newbie racquet

    what would you recommend for someone tight on $$
    obviously looking for a racquet that can be handled easily by beginners.
    It's been awhile since i played and it's usually with those back-yard type badminton sets since those are the only occasions that i had a chance to play (during picnics)
    The guy at the shop keeps on pushing (i'm assuming their older models) Wilson Smash 1000 and I don't see any review for this. Should I take his word? I've heard Yonex are great but I just can't seem to justify price vs my skill set.
    Any help/advice

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON CA
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi faceless_el,

    just a few questions for clarification:

    1. who is the racquet for? (you, a child, wife???)
    2. are u wanting just any inexpensive racquet to play outdoor with?
    3. will you be playing regularly (indoor)?

    reason i asked is because if u are going to play badminton outdoor (like as in picnic on some ocassion) than i would say don't bother spending that much money on a racquet...if however, you are planning to take up badminton as an exercise or sport or rec or more committed player, than i would suggest investing in a better racquet (in the long run that investment will pay off)

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iimonkey View Post
    hi faceless_el,

    just a few questions for clarification:

    1. who is the racquet for? (you, a child, wife???)
    2. are u wanting just any inexpensive racquet to play outdoor with?
    3. will you be playing regularly (indoor)?

    reason i asked is because if u are going to play badminton outdoor (like as in picnic on some ocassion) than i would say don't bother spending that much money on a racquet...if however, you are planning to take up badminton as an exercise or sport or rec or more committed player, than i would suggest investing in a better racquet (in the long run that investment will pay off)
    sorry forgot to clarify.

    1. racquet's for myself
    2. looking for an all-around racquet.
    3. wanting to move up from back-yard play to indoor.

    what would you suggest for the racquets then? I guess the wilson smash 1000 is crap?

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iimonkey View Post
    hi faceless_el,

    just a few questions for clarification:

    1. who is the racquet for? (you, a child, wife???)
    2. are u wanting just any inexpensive racquet to play outdoor with?
    3. will you be playing regularly (indoor)?

    reason i asked is because if u are going to play badminton outdoor (like as in picnic on some ocassion) than i would say don't bother spending that much money on a racquet...if however, you are planning to take up badminton as an exercise or sport or rec or more committed player, than i would suggest investing in a better racquet (in the long run that investment will pay off)
    iimonkey,

    1. it's for me
    2. looking to start playing indoor with some friends who i'd say are above intermediate in skill
    3. twice a week, i guess

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON CA
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification. OK without knowing your playing style this might be a little tough. This is what i suggest:

    Ask yourself whether you prefer/are good at playing offense, defense or all around. Also whether you will be playing more singles or doubles matches. This will help you narrow down your choices substantially. Also you said that you are on a tight budget, knowing how much you are willing to spend (max) will help determine your selection as well.

    You said that you have a few friends who are above intermediate level, asked if you can try out their racquets as well. This way you get a feel for the racquets to see which suits you. Reading reviews and blogs is one thing, trying it out for yourself is another. Also you might want to ask them to see what they recommend as they play with you, they will have a better idea.

    Here are a few links that you can look at. Try searching this forum too as i know there a lots of similar threads.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=66936

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=66837

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=66613

    Here is my advice:

    1. Plan to spend a little more. Think of this as an investment because if you are going to take up badminton, owning a good racquet is important to your play. You don't want to just buy a crappy racquet cuz it's cheap and end up getting like tennis elbow, sore muscles, etc. A good racquet will improve your play and tech. Also, when your play and tech improve, you'll end up getting better racquet anyway.

    2. DO NOT BUY FAKIES. Especially from ebays. Do a quick search on this forum and you can read all about it. One sign of a fakie is price. "If it's too good to be true" it probably is. Be on safe side and go to pro shops.

    3. Do research. With some of my earlier suggestions, you should be able to narrow down your choices. Now do some research on the racquets of interest to you and your selection should narrow down. Also, you will know if someone is trying to rip you off.

    To answer you questions, no I personally haven't heard of Wilson Smash 1000. The guy could be trying to do a hard sale on you. In terms of whether yonex is great, it is. Not a promoter of yonex, but they do make some awesome racquets. And lastly, your price vs skill set debate (refer to my advice #1, it's an investment. As you get better, you will need a better racquet). You might also want to look into the wilson k[factor]/k[tour] series, they have some descent racquets at fair price. This is just my opinion. I hope this helps. Let us know what you decided. GL and have fun

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    iimonkey...

    Thanks for the advice. I asked my friends if I can try and use their old yonex racquets. They're fine with it. I'll see if it works well, I think they have the old muscle power models

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON CA
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you're welcome...hope you find it

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iimonkey View Post
    1. You don't want to just buy a crappy racquet cuz it's cheap and end up getting like tennis elbow, sore muscles, etc. A good racquet will improve your play and tech.
    eh, not really. a bit optimistic though. TO improve your technique, practice with your friends, and try to develop it properly, instead of focusing on the racket. A racket is a tool, it does not make or break for you yet.

    That said, Look at wilson, Heady or Midrange yonex rackets. They are all price similarly, and all are good. Find you what you liek first

    Even better, Spend outrageously on shoes. Best investment you can make. It will protect your body, and help you on court. else, your feet will suffer.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON CA
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jymbalaya View Post
    eh, not really. a bit optimistic though. TO improve your technique, practice with your friends, and try to develop it properly, instead of focusing on the racket. A racket is a tool, it does not make or break for you yet.
    I agree with your point about developing his technique first, but i think that having a proper racquet is also important to that process. As faceless noted earlier, he usually plays "with those back-yard type badminton sets" and those racquets are heavy. If he keeps playing with those, he is more likely to be prone to injuries. Think about the number of swings you do per 15 minutes rally; take that and times it by the number of hours you play per session; take that and times it by the number of sessions you go to in a week; how many swings will you be doing with that racquet? With that said, i really can't see how you can develop proper techniques using those racquet. Also, since he is going to take up badminton more frequently, wouldn't you agree that investing in a good racquet will benefit him in the long run?

    And i agree with your point on footwear

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sketchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Westcountry
    Posts
    707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jymbalaya View Post
    Even better, Spend outrageously on shoes. Best investment you can make. It will protect your body, and help you on court. else, your feet will suffer.
    I only partially agree with your point on shoes.
    Yes, decent shoes are important, but there's no need to spend much on them - quality is not even remotely proportional to cost, when it comes to shoes.
    So long as they're comfortable and grip well, any shoes will do.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if saying cheap as in 30-50$? then i suggest a yonex isometric, carbonex or a B-500 series

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I only partially agree with your point on shoes.
    Yes, decent shoes are important, but there's no need to spend much on them - quality is not even remotely proportional to cost, when it comes to shoes.
    So long as they're comfortable and grip well, any shoes will do.
    sorry dude, i was being sarcastic. However, I still stand to the point that you should think about higher end shoes over a High end racket.

Similar Threads

  1. Racquet for a newbie?
    By Liz Leong in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 2
    : 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
  2. Newbie looking for his first racquet
    By ohthevoices in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 6
    : 04-25-2009, 12:46 AM
  3. Semi newbie for racquet recommendation
    By bigboss316 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 11-04-2007, 06:40 AM
  4. Newbie needs help choosing racquet
    By godlyatheist in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 23
    : 10-08-2007, 09:57 AM
  5. Newbie want expensive racquet
    By 2asian in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 16
    : 12-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •