Mens Double best strategy?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nanox, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Nanox

Nanox Regular Member

Student
    OK. i played with these two guys today. Their defense are REALLY good. no matter how hard i smash, they can always return them. So what are the other way of defeating them? The opponent that i played with is that one is left handed and one is right handed. In the first game, me and my partner keep smashing them and in the result is that he controls my partner in the back court and we lost 21- 14. In the second game, we start dropping and clear but in the end they still control my partner in the back court but the scores are 23-21. So what are your opinions to defeat them?

2. ictus

ictus Regular Member

I think you just answered your own question, clears and drops.

3. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

you could also try varying the pace of your smash, vary the angle of your smashes (eg. steeper). usually if someone good at defense because they are in a rhythm... try breaking up that rhythm. will also give your partner chance to change positions with you.

also being a left/right combo. go for the middle. smash or drop or whatever. will create more chances for confusion. :D

4. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Try to aim your smashes near the hips.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You need to be more aware of where you are placing your smashes. When you take a look at your opponent's positioning, try to imagine where your opponent would be able to contact the shuttle with a comfortable reach - don't hit to these spots! Doing so will simply mean that they'll have an easy time controlling you with their defense.

6. narnia

narnia Regular Member

You can't. It seems they are better players than you. Just play more games with them to catch their weakness if you can.

7. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    you can also vary the pace if you're the front person...net intercept to one guy, then to the other, or drop in the middle...stuff like that...like mentioned, the rhythm is important...if you mess that up and do something unexpected, you'll get a lot of points..

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    first guess is you're not aiming your smashes well, or maybe not even making enough effort to aim them. The scorelines are pretty close so your opponents are prolly not way above you. So control them instead of letting them control you

9. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

when opponents have a good defence, i normally try to:

1. smash into the area in between the players
    2. smash into their dominant hip
    3. vary the smashing speed

10. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

As a pair you need to get into an attacking formation and use your smashes as set up shots for netkills or tight spinning net shots.

11. RichF

RichF Regular Member

IMHO smashes should be considered a 'building' shot, not an outright winning shot.

For the most part the goal of the smash is to produce a weak return from your opponent giving you the upper hand in the rally, e.g. giving the front player a chance for a net kill or giving the rear player the chance for a mid-court smash.

12. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    best way to defeat left and right handers is to confuse them - smash down the middle at different paces. also drop shot to middle. never smash straight at someone, it is the easiest shot to return. smash at hips or even better make them move for the defensive shot and then look to threaten the return. always think 3 shots ahead.

13. DeadlyDuck

DeadlyDuck Regular Member

i agree with the smashing at different paces, if your like me, and get a lot of lucky shanks, you can really screw people up. And if you play skilled players enough you find away arround their strengths.

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    oh damn i'm late but herez my idea

like other said, your smash might not be a great shots, well that doesn't make sense but wat i meant is ur smash doesn't have angle. sometime if your opponent didnt able to be at the middle of the court to ready for the smash, you must create or make some angle smash shots, so that ur opponent have to make a reach and that usually their shots will not be that effective and goes straight up in mid court of ur side. And of course if those guys are good at all the defend from the smash and drop, then try to be aggressive and PUSH the bird. But this is like really aggressive play takes a lot of streght out of you. If you dont have the stamina in you then sorry, train. But yes that's what i think, if smashing, clearing, and dropping doesn't help, then you gotta play pushing the birds, use your footwork and quickness to play agaisnt their great defend. And further that if they are able to defend that strategy, then you must be good both at offence and defence and wait until which ever side tired out first and make more mistakes. Anyways, try to get the quicker pace, see if they can catch up.
    and of course other stuffs from other guys said, smash in middle, that works for all combination players not just lefty and righty. and at the hip area smash is always good, but that again you need angle smash shots to able to make those shots. and try to make the 3rd smash to the other guy, dont keep smashing 1 guy.
    anybody think i'm wrong please say so. I'm looking around to see a really good strategy for men double. thank you.

15. betazone

betazone Regular Member

I play intermediate and so far I don't see ppl mention this before shooting lob. Try to start off with a sharp drop or half-smash to draw your opponent to the front of the court, then fake a smash but hit a shooting lob aim at corner....must be corner for most effectiveness else you are just letting him smash you....once you "get" him scrambling to retrieve, go for a sharp drop or another shooting lob to the same spot.

16. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

All great comments and suggestions so far.

Another one that I did not see suggested is that when you are in front and the back partner is being pressure, pick the right time then move back to help. For example if your partner tries smashes and is push slightly deep and off to the side too much, when the opponent lift try stepping back to help your partner and also to keep the pressure on. This is even more important when your partner smashes and the opponent do a week lift then you can finish it off instead of your partner scrambling to get into position. Secondly, try to intercept when you are in the front whenever possible.

Also think about trajectory. Try making it very steep, try making it flatter, take some pace off and concentrate on aiming.

Do more pushes if that is your strength and not theirs.

I know exactly how you feel. I am also very fortunate in having a lot of good players and friends who does not mind to play with me and we play consistently together every week. I feel frustrated that I am getting closer but still can't beat them yet, but overall, I am very grateful and happy to get to play with them!

Cheers
    --Hugh

17. nlambino

nlambino Regular Member

IT
    1. Try putting the shuttlecock in the edges where your opponent will find it hard to reach/return

2. Rotate with your partner from offense/defense position

3. Try to use "deception"

4. Try to keep your shots flat, steep, and use the angles

5. Communicate with your partner

18. tommoore

tommoore New Member

smash, drive, kill... rotate
    rinse and repeat.

By this i mean that when you have the oppurtunity to smash from the back of court you should be looking to move into the net in three shots while your partner moves back to cover. This will stop your partner from being trapped at the back of the court and ensure you have control of the rally rather than your opponent.

19. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

kill em with the serves or serve return.
    serve to their corners and be accurate. mix it up.

when they serve to you, rush it and attack their rear corners to get a weak reply. serve quick and to the outer front corner when they are standing to receive but not quite ready yet.

Instead of smashing, drop more. Once they get used to that, then start to smash again. Vary your strategy... Use more clears, and no weak ones either (depending on how strong their attack is).

Control the net. Any opportunity to cross, netkill, intercept, lob... take. Try not to netdrop too much. After a good serve return you have hit to their back corner, how do they reply? Usually if it is a weak reply its near the net and is easily killed.

How is their backhand? Keep attacking it til they give a weak reply.

Other than making the smash steeper, mix it up by placing one smash higher and aim for the body.

If none of it works, then study them. What are their strengths, what are their weaknesses?

20. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i think as in any game

play to yr strength

attack at yr opponent weakness