Controlling clear power.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Whittalboy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

I have a good form of hitting over-head clear, I don't have to put a lot of effort to hit clear from base to base, just with my body swing and some wrist power, I can hit clear very well. If I put more power(faster swing and faster wrist power) on clear of course it will go out. what I am having a little difficulty is, my clears sometimes go out from the base line by a bit which is still out when I even don't put effort to it.

2. Script

Script Regular Member

Then try using even less effort.

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Or increase your string tension

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can try to put more power for the higher clears, less for the less deep ones.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I know it's a really unhelpful suggestion, but I think you just need to practice more, until you can judge how hard to hit. I don't know what else you expect us to say.

You could try a higher string tension, but then you lose power on your smashes, aswell as your clears.

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, just relax and focus on finding the baseline. I had a bit of trouble with my lift today -exactly the same thing. I was trying to find a hoop I had set out on the baseline in the singles corner and I was either hitting too deep and out the back or too shallow to land in the hoop. I hadn't played for a while though.

You'll find that as you practise more, you'll get more used to how hard/soft you have to hit certain shots to get them just right. What you're doing now is good though. You've obviously got good technique and just need to control it more. I think it's better to hit out the back than not deep enough. Hitting out the back is more of a control/experience issue whereas not hitting deep enough can be a sign of technique problems which are much harder to fix.

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    getting the right distance for lifts/clears is all a matter of muscle memory. Unhelpful as this advice is, the best way to consistently lift to the line is to practicemore and play more games.

8. Danstevens

Student
    Indeed. Eventually, I hit form again and was able to consistently hit the centre of the hoop.

OP, you can do my drill with your clear if you like. Set the hoop up right in the singles corner and get a friend to feed shuttles to you. Hit a clear down the line and try to hit it in to the hoop. Repeat this drill until you are very consistent. It'll be quite boring but is worth it.

9. Whittalboy

I've read all of you guys' posts. Thanks, what I will do is try to memorize the distance corresponding to my muscle. And In addition, my lift goes out like clears as well. I guess for this problem, I should do a little more of follow through my lift. By the way, I find more comfortable to lift with backhand than forehand(just like most of people feel like I guess).

My tension is 28 on Arc10 btw

#9 Whittalboy, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  10. Danstevens

Student
    Nice racket, nice tension.

When you lift, do you take the shuttle above or below the net? Do you take a backswing?

11. Whittalboy

I'm not sure of your question 100% but I'll answer my best. When my opponent does a drop shot, I flick my wrist to lift. and my lift goes deep and high most of the time. I think I use only my wrist when I have to lift. If backswing means like tennis back-hand back swing which you take your racket back very far, then, no. If someone does like that, I'd say they do not have good back-hand. Although they may get some shots, they will not able to return smashes. when you said do you take the shuttle above or below the net, is that mean when I hit the shuttle, do I hit when above the when or below? If that is so, then, depends what kind of shots and what position I am in. If bad drop shot comes, I would quickly go and do little touch which will touch directly to the floor. If I had to hit from below, then I would lift or do drop shots?

12. Californian

Californian Regular Member

To get a feel for clearing depth, if you can get a partner who will practice this with you, play a scored game using just the back alley (between the doubles back service line and the back line of the court)--only that part of the court is in play (serves have to go into the back left or right box).

Once you get consistent with that, you can expand the court to include the front area between the net and short service line (allowing for both drops and clears). That way, you get practice mixing the shots up. (All serves would still have to be deep into the back box.)

13. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    If you're talking about defensive clears, try to clear higher with the same amount of power. If you're doing an attacking clears, then the things suggested above by other members are quite useful.

14. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    As for consistency, I think it is also important that you get used to your racket, your string, your tension, and the type of shuttle you regularly use. Should any one of these need be changed, be sure to warm up sufficiently with all strokes to at least get a feel of how you should hit.