Rapid regression in skill?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nuetronist, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

I was just playing badminton after two weeks of not playing, and I noticed I'm no where near as good as I was two weeks ago. My jump smashes were slower and had less of angle to them, I was not able to do my drops and net shots as tight to the net as I usually do. The only thing that stayed the same was my backhand smash.

Is this due to inadequate warm up? I find that after about an hour of play I started to recover, but I don't think an hour is natural for a warm up

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

2 weeks is a good amount of time to lose some muscle, stamina, and feel. Unless you're not used to it, then you'll find yourself warming up longer.

3. Nuetronist

THat makes me feel better then...slightly...all i have to is get back into my usual rythem and I'll be good to go then?

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Most likely, unless your physique has degenerated enough where you can't perform at your usual level. I only play maybe twice a month as opposed to my usual 3 - 4 times a week about a year ago so I'm no where near my original skill level.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Just thought I'd chime in again about regression. So I played for the first time today since January. Drives were okay, though i would get caught at times. Clears just were too high, which was from a late wrist snap which I had to keep reminding myself to correct whenever I hit. Smashes were off too from the late wrist snap. Stamina was also gone, I would play well for 5 points then die out after. After 5 hours and during my last game, everything was pretty much back except for my drops and stamina.

So "getting back into it" took a lot longer for me than expected even with me used to not playing for long periods of time.

6. Nuetronist

That is almost exactly like my condition! Good to hear it can come back without as much effort it took to get there in the first place =D