Can you reach pro with out having a pro trainer?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WhiteRice94, Mar 6, 2009.

1. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    Can you reach pro level, without a professional trainer training you? i live in a city where not a lot of people play, and no coaches here. I am completely dedicated to badminton, and i want to be a pro player someday. What is available for me is a free court to train on, but no singles because there is no service line. What drills/exersises can i practice with myself or maybe a friend?

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I would say that without a coach or high level sparring partner, and relying on information found on the internet for your training, the chances of reaching pro are slim.

Good luck!

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

By pro, you mean one day we'll be watching you on TV?

I'd say, 99% unlikely. I have not seen or known anyone without professional training going international or into any major tourneys.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    In theory, yes!

In real live, NO! Simply becase if you are ambitious and talented enough to become a pro player, you will have the drive to want to find the best trainers and coaching possible to begin with, to maximize your potential :)

/Twobeer

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Well said, I second that.

You'll need coaching to reach your full potential and you'll need to reach your full potential to go pro.

6. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    Forgot to add that I've had good coaching before, pretty much mastered the staple shots, and now i just need to learn more advanced shots(crosscourt) and deception. If i learn from videos online, and go practice with an advanced player, are my chances still slim?

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    how pro is pro do u mean?

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Why not see if one of these advanced players would mentor you? It seems they help you a bit already so perhaps getting them to become more of a coach to you wouldn't be too hard. Anyone's chances of becoming a pro are very slim. How many good players are there that actually go the extra mile, give up their jobs and play badminton?

9. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Can you reach pro with out having a pro trainer?
    pro skills? yes. pro per se? no.

10. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    If you are really innovative and experimenting, you migth develop smart new technics never seen before. But it is more likely that you develop some bad habbits, that can become diffult to change later on.
    But of course there is also many bad coaches, so there is no guarantee.

Don't play because you want to become pro, play because you like it and feel good when playing :) and then see how far it will take you.

BTW: This forum is the best "coach" ever!

11. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Lendl example

Ivan Lendl didn't have a pro coach when he started. He just pounded tennis balls against a wall and started winning tournaments. Then he was able to get coaching/training. If you start winning tournaments, the same thing will happen to you. Don't give up your passions.

12. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

all you need to know is
    footwork
    flicking wrist
    deception
    and
    limitation of power

13. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

I really think you should get a trainer to get proper training. Normally speaking you can train the same amount or more but if you're not doing it right then it's pointless. Unless you know how to train, then you'll be fine by youself.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Unfortunately, statistics work against the theory of getting to pro level without having a coach. Only very few people reach a national level without coaching. Compare that to the proportion who do have coaching....

15. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Ivan Lendl is really not the best example to use. This was really long ago, when the training and tennis itself wasn't as advanced as it is now.

16. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i think it is possible. Because badminton is a sport. And sport need to have CONDITION, and the mind. If u're smart, and only if u're smart only, you should able to trick the opponent with trick shots and read the opponent movement. And pretty much it left with condition, if u have a lot more or equal stamina like a PRO LEVEL i dont see why not. With the same condition as a pro level. Other stuffs just TAKE PRACTICE, practice and practice to be there. A coach is there just to guide you THERE in a short amount of time, and correct your mistake. YOU can also do that by video taping yourself and keep on finding out the mistake and fix it on ur own.
    Tell me wrong if you want, but i dont see there is a chance is not possible. Like, TWOBEER said in theory it is possible, and if the theory is true, it should be possible, it just about practice. AND HEY PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. Well no such thing is perfect, but hey PRO LEVEL is not perfect.