Help with my physical training (:

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kagirinaiX3, Mar 6, 2009.

1. kagirinaiX3

kagirinaiX3 Regular Member

Student
    i'm 17 this year & i like some advices on my physical training which are done at home :)
    i have:
    1 10kg hand gripper
    2 20kg hand grippers
    2 10kg dumbbells (2 2kg rods, 4 1.5kg discs, 4 2.5kg discs)

the routine i'm doing daily now is:
    50 strokes of different strokes with the racquet
    50 20kg grips in the morning & night
    10 12kg bicep curls X 3sets (dont know what is the term for it but i'm doing the one where u sit down)
    10 12kg tricep extensions
    50 sit-ups

basically, i need help with improving/changing this routine
    i wish to work on my wrist, forearm, biceps, triceps, legs, abs & some other areas beneficial to badminton
    less rep, heavier weights...are those i need when using the hand gripper & dumbbells?
    thx :)

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    do your hand grips weight 20kgs ?? :S i dont understand that part.

in order to build good strength and build some size on your muscles you need to be doing 3-4 excersises per muscle group. In each excersise 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

You can train a number of ways in regards to what weight you use.
    Best way i find is start at a comfortable weight then increase to moderate then on your final set push your max.

Go to www.youtube.com and search for excersises on Wrist forearm biceps triceps legs abs back shoulders. Find 3 -4 different excersises in each that you like and compile a routine.

again routines can be different. You can do a 5 day split with 1 muscle group each day. Or a 3 day split with 2 muscle groups in each day. Whatever you want.

www.bodybuilding.com have a look there for some good training routines.
    gota do your research and make your own adjustments in order to get the positive results you want.

3. kagirinaiX3

Student
    ok thx :)
    i think kg is a measure of its resistance..

4. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    If your main goal is to become better at badminton, then 50 (empty? or actually hitting a shuttle?) strokes is not enough. On court play is always good, but if you're limited to training at home (as you seem to imply), then I guess it's not realistic to be hitting an actual shuttle.

As for training with weights, you seem to be closer to low-weight/high-rep, but I don't know your physique, so I don't know if you'll bulk up too much with that. I think adding push-ups to your routine is enough for your upper-body if you're only aiming for badminton. Of course, badminton is played more with the legs (okay, not literally, but sometimes if sure feels that way...).

For the lower-body, running (with interval training) is an option. Building stamina as well as stop-and-go movements (of course, good footwork is what's actually needed in the end). If only weights, maybe weighted lunges and weighted calf raises? Not sure if footwork can improve without on court play or interval running.

5. kagirinaiX3

Student
    50empty strokes for eac, backhand & forehand drives, lifts & backhand clear

6. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    The point is that empty strokes do not tell you if your form is correct or not. Even if the form is correct, you will not get feedback from the weight of the shuttle hitting the racket, and thus will not know how hard you should be swinging for precise flight distances.

Practicing your serve will probably help your badminton a lot more than empty strokes. Mark service distance with masking tape, pull a string at net height, and practice for that perfect low serve. Shouldn't need too much room.