User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Panda Zheng Bo

ZB is the heaviest athlete in China badminton National team, listed at 80kg+, a King Panda.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN...8/237138.shtml

Reminds me of Sammo Hung, a big-set guy who moves with grace of a butterfly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    What beats me is why Du Jing wasn't roped in to partner Zheng Bo.
    In every aspect, she would surely run circles around Ma Jin
    I wonder how long the ZB/MJ experiment will last. If ZB is able to control himself better, there's a chance. Otherwise, 2 options:
    1) put ZB to pasture
    2) more likely assign him to a more forceful personality to keep him in check

In the back of her mind, MJ must have been dreading the thought of Big Brother watching her every move. I think MJ was pretty useless on the day regardless.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    noted. I think MJ knows that and weeped after the match, not because of ZB scolding. However, as a jr and first time in a big event like the AE, it is understandable. It revealed the 'tender' side of the china team, and china team willingness to field or risk younger players to the battelfield as well.
    You must be joking!
    China never takes risks - neither in sport nor in anything else.

If a player were assessed to have even a slightly better winning probability, China would necessarily field that player.

Those who take risks and end up losing get severely punished.
    And, mark this, such bullishness is not restricted to sport
    you are both correct. China didn't take risk, yet they did.

they fielded an unexperience MJ, true. but they also have He/Yu on the other side.

if you think about China not as individual players but as team as a whole, then they didn't really risk anything. and it was proved to be true. it was a experience (and character) building for MJ, while China still won the XD title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    you are both correct. China didn't take risk, yet they did.

they fielded an unexperience MJ, true. but they also have He/Yu on the other side.

if you think about China not as individual players but as team as a whole, then they didn't really risk anything. and it was proved to be true. it was a experience (and character) building for MJ, while China still won the XD title.
    a bullseye shot kwun On WD, WS and XD, china has a solid finalist contender for each of the women event. It's like they have bought insurance so they can take some risk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    a bullseye shot kwun On WD, WS and XD, china has a solid finalist contender for each of the women event. It's like they have bought insurance so they can take some risk
    That is the word I was looking for

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    Since 99.9999% of us may never be in his situation (AE SF stage), I won't call it's fair to say "none of us will do it", just because we can never even qualified to be in the situation.

Let me put this way. If losing $10, most of us can be real calm, joke a bit, and that's just another day. If losing $10 billion in stock market, we might wonder why the mult. billionaires wants to jump out of the building. Many of us might say, "man, not worth it, I won't do it..." Simply because we will never get a chance to be in the situation to begin with.
    You forgot the part where another player was more harshly ciritised in BC for scolding his partner. The .... criticism Zheng Bo got in this thread? Less harsh. LD also got critised for the racket throwing incident.

Abt the same situation -> not in that situation exactly, but more grave - like the other party spurting verbal abuse or threatening to inflict bodily harm, in public, face to face. That's provoked. By not responding in kind, the other party is the one to lose face.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badmintan View Post
    ZB is the heaviest athlete in China badminton National team, listed at 80kg+, a King Panda.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN...8/237138.shtml

Reminds me of Sammo Hung, a big-set guy who moves with grace of a butterfly.
    Wrong.
    Appearances can be deceptive.

Zheng Bo = 80kg
    He Hanbin = 80kg
    Fu Haifeng = 80kg

Xie Zhongbo = 86kg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badmintan View Post
    But hey..cutest, too.
    don't think anyone disagree.
    A King Panda who had 2 AE titles.Not bad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong.
    Appearances can be deceptive.

Zheng Bo = 80kg
    He Hanbin = 80kg
    Fu Haifeng = 80kg

Xie Zhongbo = 86kg
    Right. Just because ZB looks roly poly doesn't make him the heaviest.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    But hey..cutest, too.
    don't think anyone disagree.
    A King Panda who had 2 AE titles.Not bad.
    He's all yours. Pemuda will be jealous

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    Her net shots weren't tight enough, she wasn't pouncing at those loose net returns but instead putting a lot of shots into the net. There was at least 2 occasions she moved away from her position prematurely leaving a gaping hole that the Koreans converted. .

Essentially, she wasn't doing her job well from the very beginning. I do not think the Koreans feel threatened at the net at all. How did she make CHN national?

On-topic: ZB should still be reprimanded for his behaviour but MJ is not totally blame-free.
    Me and my wife had noted for the past 3 years that Gao Ling was not as all conquering at the net as she has been in the past. She often blocked or netted when the kill was on.

MJ did the same. I have no doubt that had GL not retired she would be still with ZB. But she isn't so she can't be.

What beats me is why Du Jing wasn't roped in to partner Zheng Bo.
    In every aspect, she would surely run circles around Ma Jin
    I note your sarcasm.....

Quote Originally Posted by sudirman View Post
    DJ + ZB will be the XD killer. they can probably match TBH/KKK joking. but DJ has got OG gold, no pressure any more, she should be selected to partner someone (ZB or FHF)
    I think it is highly unlikely DJ will be paired with a top XD male. CHN would not let it happen. DJ is the brute, as Huang Sui & Wei Yili were in the past, they didn't play mixed, DJ won't to any level.

MJ needs time. XD net play is a skill that takes time to develop. YY is the CHN star now....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Also each example (except the Phelps one because it's an individual sport) has your hall of fame big shot fighting against an opponent. ZB took out his frustration on his own partner. Nothing beats that!

Well, if you watch NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, etc you always see the "stars" screaming their lungs out to their teammates, or even coaches. They may even go public and voice their concerns. However, at the end of the day, they are still the hall of fames.

All I am saying is, in the match, many incidents are purely focus on the "fact", but not the "person". Kobe or LeBron can publicly criticized teammate's motivation or game decision, but they also treat most of their teammates as brothers afterward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Right. Just because ZB looks roly poly doesn't make him the heaviest.
    Looks like I jump the gun.

How could I forget the 'body builder' Xie Zhongbo?

BMI = 86kg /1.88 x 1.88 = 24.33

Conclusion, muscles weigh more than fats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    Me and my wife had noted for the past 3 years that Gao Ling was not as all conquering at the net as she has been in the past. She often blocked or netted when the kill was on.

MJ did the same. I have no doubt that had GL not retired she would be still with ZB. But she isn't so she can't be.
    MJ needs time. XD net play is a skill that takes time to develop. YY is the CHN star now....
    I was not keeping track of GL. I even only watched the XD because they happened to show it on TV (what kind of badminton fan am I?).

I was comparing the play of MJ to YY (in the finals). Certainly, YY did great in the finals. Good aggression, totally sealed the net, a touch of deceptive and she was even effective from the back court. Still, the XD player I enjoyed watching most (so far, with limited exposure) is Liliyana -- not that powerful yet she is such a good play maker. But that's already way off topic.

Back to MJ/ZB, ZB held it together quite well despite the runs of mistakes from MJ in G1 and half of G2. No doubt, G3 was lost in the hands of ZB but playwise, I think it's very hard to play a match at that level when the lady is not effective in front.

Just reminds me too much of the trouble I landed all my partners in last night because I played so so badly. Even the top players could not cover for all my mistakes . If ZB were my partner, he would have tried to kill me by stabbing me with his racket butt while sitting on me. Luckily I'm a guy and none of my partners weigh as much as me .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post

Interesting observation. I felt the same though I am not sure if this was from 3 years back - so long. Remember watching some XD matches and even some WD matches when she paired Huang Sui - she did not command the net with the same authority.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, Bo ZHENG[CHN] Jin MA[CHN] - [BEL] Wouter CLAES [BEL] Nathalie DESCAMPS 21-19 21-15
    let's see how far they can go in this tournament

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see how long before ZB 'explode' again.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast