Noob Question...Smash Block/Return...Help Please!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GoldenRacket, Mar 8, 2009.

1. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    Hey guys,

Ive been playing badminton for about 2 years (to be honest, on and off, not every day), I have my basics down pretty good, near perfect. I have a problem with smashes, though. I can hit pretty hard, but out of 10, only 4 to 5 can actually be called a "smash" the other 5 turn out to be drives (hits the sucker in the face) or really high and far clears, giving my opponent a chance to smash back.

Now there is my problem. i have no trouble doing net play and drop shots, my favourite. But I just cant seem to RETURN SMASHES! ! ! and if I do, its just because my racket happened to be at the right place,the right time.

How do you properly return a smash? How do you personally do it? How did you first learn it (other than getting hit a 1000 times :D)?

Thanks,

Golden :D

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Firstly, make sure you're not standing too far forward. I generally stand a couple of steps back from the short-service line I think. This will give you a little extra time to react.

Hold your racket out in front of you (medium height), ready to play a backhand return. Don't use a forehand unless you have to, as it's a little more difficult.

Wait with your knees slightly bent, so you're ready to move quickly if the smash is an awkward one (eg. racket-arm shoulder).

Don't swing at the shuttle, and don't try to lift it to the back of the court - a simple block to the net is usually more effective. You can pretty much just stick your racket out, and let the shuttle bounce off it - the pace on the smash will be more than enough to get it back over the net. If you keep hitting into the net, angle the racket face upwards a little.

I'd say focus on just getting your racket on the shuttle at first.
    Once you can consistently do that, then you can start to change the pace or direction of your return (by adjusting racket face angle).

I think it's the kind of thing you can improve really quickly by doing some practice drills with a partner.
    eg: P1-smash, P2-block, P1-net, P2-lift, P1-smash...

And yeah, I probably did get hit 1000 times too at first :)

#2 Sketchy, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  3. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    Thanks Sketchy! Do you (or anybody else) know a good website/series of online videos that show techniques/drills/trick shots?

Thanks

:D Golden :D

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not a technique/drill video but watch and learn from (arguably) two of the best doubles pairs on the planet. Enjoy, watch what they do on the defence and how they deal with huge smashes.

Defending smashes is often more about instinct than how you drill it so keep practising.

5. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student

I missed a couple returns just blinking :eek:

So is it more of how FAST you flick the wrist or how MUCH power you put into it? 50/50?

Thanks

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    safest return off a smash is a block just over the net. when you get stronger and faster your can do the same thing and just pull a simple wrist flick to clear the shuttle as a lift.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Even if you can't return it over the net, just get used to getting your racket in the right place and making contact with the bird.

8. DairyRon

DairyRon Regular Member

Student
    put your racket high and focus the shuttle that will be a very good effect.

9. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    Thanks for the tip, DairyRon, but doesnt that kind of contradict what a Smash is (A steep attack with as much speed as possible...?) ? Shouldnt you have it kind of low (beneath the waist, or AT waist level) as to try to catch it before it lands (You might possible see it then as it slows down...?) ?

Thanks,

10. DairyRon

DairyRon Regular Member

Student
    in this case, your problem is in single or double? mostly that cost a overhead smash

11. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    I prefer singles any time, but can you provide an explanation of both situations? That'll be Golden ( hehe :p )

Thanks,

12. DairyRon

DairyRon Regular Member

Student
    is that possible for you to smash everytime? LOL... i were only smash when the shuttle is given me a chance high and allow me to jump.
    if double, i will just jumping smash with sharp than middle smash.

13. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    So you prefer a jump smash over a regular one? I kind of see what your trying to get at :D

Thanks!