backhand underhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DeadlyDuck, Mar 8, 2009.

1. DeadlyDuck

DeadlyDuck Regular Member

hi everybody

ive started up this badminton season fairly well i guess, but i have noticed a consistent weakness in my game when im playing "smarter" players. I was playing the other day in singles, and my opponent continually hit it to the back court, my backhand side, and too low for a normal overhand backhand clear. I was able to return, but only able to get it just over the net for what should have been a drop. The problem was, he figured out quickly i could not clear it to the backcourtfrom this position, and dropped it every time.

I figured what i needed to do was to be able to clear it obviously to the back court, but obviouysly i cannot. I find this strange because in any other type of shot, i can return with enough strengthfor anything (i can even do a sort of backhand spike). I also heard that maybe i need a heavier raquet to solve my problem. But im unsure so what do you guys think?

2. DeadlyDuck

oops wrong forum

or not

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Unless you're Taufik, you will struggle to do this shot. Move quicker and hit it overhead forehand.

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

This is similar to tennis backhand underhand return. Use your leg strength by stooping down when turning your back to the net in prep, and rotate your upper body and straighten your leg to complete your stroke. This requires good strength and technique, but is within reach of mere mortals :)

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Definitely quicker movement is the key - if you can hit the shuttle while it's still infront of you (or at least level) you should be able to lift it deep, even if it's too low to play overhead.

Once you allow the shuttle to go past you it's a very difficult shot to play.
    I generally attempt to play either a crosscourt drop or a drive down the line (at least that way it's a little unpredictable), but I wouldn't be expecting to win the point.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If it's that low you should have been able to cut it off before it got there in the first place.

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    if youre stuck in that position, learn to hit shots other than straight drop - like cross drop or straight drive. Otherwise, to not get into that position in the first place just inprove on your anticipation and footwork.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I agree that you should try to intercept it earlier. You'll give yourself a lot more options this way. You can see even pros when they're pushed into that position (low backcourt backhand) have to put a lot of effort into making the shot! It's best to avoid it altogether if possible.

9. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

well, for me at least, theres a lot of times where the backhand underhand clear saves me/ or gives me some more options in terms of trick shots and things like that (but the trick shots only work for once or twice a match before peopel start adapting to do it)

Its all a matter of getting the right whip motion and obtaining the proper wrist strength

10. DeadlyDuck

well, i did better today, thanks a lot by the way
    i played with my boys doubles partner against an older team who are really good and we beat them after a really long tie break. I had to keep serving short and just over the net to one of them cause he smashed everything. The other one was all placement so i had to dive a bit.