User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default AE2009 Day 1 Review (Main Draw)

Late I know and retrospective in terms of predictions but nevertheless due to work committments I have been unable to post any sooner. I didn't atted Tuesday (Qualification Matches)

Here is My review of Day 1 AE 2009:

Since I was working in the Morning I didn't arrive until 15.00 so I missed a large number of the matches. Commented only on the matches of note to me

Mens Singles:

Andrew Smith vs chetan Annand Awful game from AS in the first game. In games he thinks he will win he has a bad habit of not getting straight into the game but cruising and thus losing. This puts pressure on him and can lead to upsets. Once warmed up however he is a better player and won.

Gade Vs Santoso - What has happened to Simon? he was nothing. No skill, no speed just another player. Gade polished him off as easy meat.

Lu Yi Vs LCW For the first Game & Three Quarters Lu Yi was on top, confident and brushing LCW aside. Just as I thought LCW cannot come back he throws it away. LCW didn't win it LY threw it away with some simple erros and a mental breakdown.

Sairul vs CYK Sairul is pretty to watch but ultimately his lazy mindset means he doesn't win. In charge of both games but CYK takes them at the end......

Womens Singles:

Wang Lin vs Elisabeth Cann I cannot beleive Cann has three National titles. She has clear technical deficiencies which with full tim training should iron out. Easy game for WL

Jiang YanJiao Vs Zhu Lin a lifeless display by ZL. She gave nothing.

Mens Doubles:

KKK/TBH Vs Ellis/Eidestedt A good display by the Young ENG pair. MAS pair didn't look strong, but were tested at least.

Womens Doubles:

No Matches Grabbed my attention

Mixed Doubles:

Russikh/Limpele Vs Yawen/Zhongbo Flandy is certainly an enigma he has some how turned himself from a successful, but not outstanding MD player to a tactical genius is XD. He simply puts the shuttle where he wants uses his backhand and attacks once, maybe twice during a rally. Whatever it works. CHN pair never on top & Russkikh has improved a lot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

worth a read. good observation and writing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks for the recap..

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    Late I know and retrospective in terms of predictions but nevertheless due to work committments I have been unable to post any sooner. I didn't atted Tuesday (Qualification Matches)
    (rest of 1st Day recap snipped for brevity)..
    ..thanks for the recap, jamesd20..
    So, overall, what do you think of the AE this yr?? Satisfied?? Or were you expecting more fireworks??..Any particular or new player(s) or pair(s) which caught your attention (no, i don't mean by looks or anything)??..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..thanks for the recap, jamesd20..
    So, overall, what do you think of the AE this yr?? Satisfied?? Or were you expecting more fireworks??..Any particular or new player(s) or pair(s) which caught your attention (no, i don't mean by looks or anything)??..
    Overall satisfied,but no fireworks really. In MS there is little in the way of real talentcoming through (Exc Lu Yi). Didn't get to see my fav Sony.

Zhao Yunlei was an obvious talent & Yu Yang is getting better & better.

MD is pretty patchy too, older players not performing but no one to fill the void.

Russikikh was a revelation, but as flandy gets older who can she play with. It would be a waste to see her not get a chance to play more....