CHN Team much stronger this year

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Yong_Hui, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Yong_Hui

Yong_Hui Regular Member

Accountant
    after got a rest for few months from international tournament, CHN team come back in international tournament with 4 titles in German GP, and clean all titles in AE this year.

It never did by CHN team last year....

It is a good or bad news for this sport??

2. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    The one that surprise me most is the Gal Wang Yi han , she has the most potential to go far.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    China's achievement so far should pump up other countries to be like them.The better they are,the bigger the challenge for other countries to go for.Try to copy how the players trained,their strategy..but of course,still play with their own style.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think any improvement is bound to be good for the sport.
    maybe not in the short term, but it'll definitely improve the standard of play in the long run.

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I think it is good for the sport.

The good thing is : now that china took everything - everyone will work harder and badminton will improve :D

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It's hard to emulate the CHN training program because the CHN players are full-time but for the majority of countries, their players are part-time. There is no way they can put in the hours CHN player do.

As for countries like MAS and INA, it's time to get the structure right to identify players from the grassroots first.

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am not really sure it is such a good thing for the sport with such big dominance from one nations players... Other countries must improve !! China is showing the way!!

Did anyone say turtle blood :)

/Twobeer

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would actually take issue that CHN team are stronger.

There were no All CHN finals except WD - and the WD were not straight forward as CS/ZYL went to three ends against the TPE & KOR pair.

MS aside from LD are not so strong. Gong Weijie was taken to 3 sets in two Qualifying games & was pretty poor in his game against Baht of IND. My opinion is he is only in the team because there is no one else around. CJ has injury troubles and was lucky to scrape through the pain against sasaki. BCL is BCL very good player but not a winner.

WS are weak relative to previous. Zhu Lin taken to three against Meulendijks, Wanglin beaing beaten by YPY, WYH taken to thre by an out of condition Zhou Mi, XXF is a shadow of her fomerself & JYJ's inexplicable loss to Tine. WS is anyones game to take at the moment.

XD ZB is a spent force IMO and aside from He/Yu there is little in the way of top pairs.

MD Cai/Fu are on their own and although they played well and won they are not sure fire winners..

Yes History will state itis the first AE clean sweep but a closer look will show a different story.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    a truer expression would be 'relatively stronger'.

In the financial world, we all thought USD would go to toilet because of the subprime mess, their ABCP mess, their deleveraging of hedges, their banking crises, their massive debts, borrowing and bailouts. Guess what, the USD reign supreme now. Why? becasue relatively speaking, US's big mess is still better than the little messes in other international countries, except china and japan, again, all relatively speaking.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i actually agree with jamesd.

in prior years, even with the new country-agnostic drawing system, we will see many CHN vs. CHN finals. while they do deserve to have both spots, it was much much more exciting as a spectator to see more CHN vs someone else matches like we do this year.

perhaps the best arrangement is for China to go into training mode more often, let the other countries get a chance winning, and then when the Chinese "comes down from the mountain" (that's a Chinese saying, sorry), they can go win whatever tournaments they wish.

everybody happy.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you judge from the current line up, I agree with you. However, I view this from the "near future" (1 to 2 years) perspective. Here are a few up and coming (or, already proven) players:

MS:
    GWJ (after so many years, at least he can perform a bit)
    Chen Long (many says up and coming "the one")

WS:
    WYH (do we need to say more???)
    WL (still incosistent, but...)

WD:
    CS/ZYL (not as dominating as GL/HS, ZJW/YW, but they are still young)
    DJ/YY (already making a name)

MD:
    Not sure about

XD:
    HHB/YY (already making a name)
    XC/ZYL (start to progress)

Yes, many of such are still inconsistent, but they all starting collecting trophy even in AE. Just give them a year or so, they will be shine. Any other nation can even claim half of the list?

Also, players like CJ, BCL, LD, XXF (even declining), ZL, FHF/CY, ZYW/ZTT still either at the prime, or at least can be effective "path cleaner" for a few years if they choose to.

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps.i'd want to to look at their dominance in the recent AE in a positive way.
    Well, everyone should.For the sake of badminton Survival!
    Never say no.

Other countries should take China as a way to improve, not a barrier.That's the best next step.
    Forgot to say congrats to the China Camp.Despite of all controversies, assumptions and prejudices, no one could have ever denied they are indeed a good team, overally.From MS, WS, WD, MD, XD.The line-up is just undeniably superb.
    But,Not unbeatable.Coz if u feel so, pack up ur things and retire.Badminton don't need losers.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    MS: GWJ - Can't see him doing anything sorry, Chen Long - can't comment as I have never seen him play. Lu Yi however should gwt a mention. I actually though he had LCW beaten but just as he was in control in the 2nd Game he made 5-6 erros which gave LCW the game and in the third he was nver in it.

WS: Yes WYH I like she is IMO similar in style as ZN - liking fast clears and sharp drops. She is just a bit heavy in movement and tactically naive but she should be the top CHN WS for next few years IMO. Wang Lin - too lightweight IMO not strong enough to cover the court and fragile. JYJ I think will improve under ZN and so her and WYH are my tips...

WD: CS/ZYL defintiely have potential but when you watch their game you cannot see their style. They really are just alrounders. ZTT/ZYW smashed through them in AE Final. ZYL was the best player on court, was unfortunate CS was injured. Who else though? PP/TQ? Not so sure....

MD: ???as you

XD: ???? Yep HHB/YY are my favourite pair of the moment YY is growing in confidence at the net and once HHB loses the nerves his is a tough prospect. He lacks court coverage when under pressure though...

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 3 sens..

..imo, it's still a bit early to judge whether the CHN team is "much stronger this yr".
    No doubt their AE achievements, this year, should be highly commendable. But can we really use it as a barometer for their future performance, at least for the rest of this yr?
    After all, this is basically their 2nd major tourney they've attended since their military training camp session.
    It's a long yr, there are still more tourneys to attend and i think it's "fair" to judge them at the end or near the end of this yr.

#14 ctjcad, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

guys, lets look a little bit more into the future. 2012.
    it's rather scary for players not named LYD, KKK, TBH, and Kenichi Tago.
    aside from those players, china will dominate pretty much everybody else.

in WS, they have lu lan, wang lin, wang yi han, and JYJ. all of whom are around 20-22 right now. if these ladies can consistenly get far or win superseries titles now, i can't even imagine how good they will be in 2012. i can almost guarentee that one of these players will win the 2012 WS gold medal.

MS, they have LD. period. whether or not he wants to play in 2012, his choice, he doesn't need to prove anything more. but lets just say he doesn't play.
    by that time, gade and taufik will probably be retired.
    LCW and Sony will be near the end of their careers and contemplating retirement.
    that leaves only chen jin and maybe one other top china guy at the time.
    at 26 chen jin will still be in his prime and baring injury should be the favorite.

XD: HHB/YY and Chen Xu/ZYL are both very young pairs right now and will be in their primes in 2012. HHB/YY have already won a bronze in XD and YY has the WD gold, enough said. They will only get better and both will be hot favorites in 4 years. The only other team I see soiling the party is LYD and whomever they choose to pair him up with.

WD: no explanation necessary, YY/DJ and CS/ZYL are going to be around for a long time.
    Chen Shu/ZYL i can really see being the next GL/HS. chen has the power like, huang sui, but she is a lot more versitile and can play the front comfortably. ZYL is pretty much a mirror image of GL. she hits relatively hard, has great defense and sees the court beautifuly. she pretty much makes plays by herself.

MD: nobody noteable, i don't seem them getting far, but who knows.

i actually don't even know if this is good for badminton as a whole. i know we've had this discussion lots of times before, but the way things are going, and the amount of potential china has in pretty much every disipline is down right scary.

16. narnia

narnia Regular Member

CHN was nothing but LUCKY!

Agreed. Let me add more issues by revealing why CHN could sweep away this Europe tour: China was nothing but LUCKY!

MS:
    - PSH, who is known as LD killer, not participated (notice that LHI, who beat LD in 2008 KO, retired)
    - LD didn't show up since Olympic that gave him more time to get fit.
    - As LD participates in more tourneys, he will definitely lose more games as he did before.

WS:
    - mostly CHN is stronger, but
    - Zhou Mi and Tine are #1 and #2 who are not chineses
    - Tine has ankle injuries

MD:
    - The BWF World Ranking #1 and #2 didn't participate in this Europe Tour
    - Cai/Fu not strong against Asian Teams: INA, MAS, and KOR
    - Even the new KOR partnership HJM/HSH could get to the Final

WD:
    - 2008 AE Champion LKW/LHJ gave their way to HJE/KMJ
    - Except that, CHN showed good improvement.

XD:
    - The WR #1 and #2 are INA and KOR not CHN.
    - The new KOR partnership KSH/HJE(who had played 6 matches from Qualifying before Final) showed something they could win gainst HHB/YY.
    - HHB/YY often loses to the Olympic Gold medalist LYD/LHJ.

CHN was nothing but LUCKY in this Tour. They just had good draws and didn't meet many stronger top players.

#16 narnia, Mar 9, 2009
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Those..^^

..top players and pairs missing from this yr's AE is not CHN's team fault.
    I think we should commend the CHN squad, no matter what the circumstances were for them in this AE.
    One thing i would say though, we can't really predict/gauge what would happen if CHN squad didn't have their military training camp and they had to go through the same schedule and attend the same number of tourneys as the other participants?
    Or vice versa, what would happen if the other "powerhouse" baddy nations had the same amt of break and training period as what team CHN went through?

In any rate, I think best case scenario to "judge" the CHN squad is in the coming WC (later this yr), granted all the top players/pairs will compete.:cool:

18. narnia

narnia Regular Member

One thing to be added:

WS:

CHN sends many players that gives them more "CHANCE" to get to the final eliminating the top players of other countries. In as sense, it's so tactical: they are collectively playing against lonely players from another countries. We can see that if CHN meets CHN, one side just withdraws or just plays for practice: See the match btw XXF vs. JYJ in AE2009.

That's not CHN's problem but asset: I'd just say the reality is like that, which makes China could get more winners especially in WS. In that sense, Zhou Mi and Tine are more respectful.

#18 narnia, Mar 9, 2009
  19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

narnia - sure, luck comes into play in every tournament. You need a degree of luck to win. However you conclude it like luck was the biggest factor in CHN winning. The players have to actually go out and win the match too you know. As for having multiple players from one nation competing in one discipline, it's what you call having earned it. Players are selected based on ranking. IF MAS or INA or KOR don't have that many players in the draw, is it CHN's fault?

Come on give CHN where credit is due. I don't deny there were some lucky moments, but on the whole, they seized the moment when it counted most. How you come across sounds like sour grapes.

20. headphones

headphones Regular Member

Point 1) PSH, a LD Killer? What year are you living in dude? This isn't 2007. Please stay with the current times.

Point 2) There's honestly no way to escape pointless criticism like this. If LD didn't win AE, then people like you would attribute his loss to "lack of match experience after OG". But seeing as how he DID win, it's now that he "had more time to get fit"?? Are you kidding me?? Besides, whether or not he had time off after OG has nothing to do with LUCK. Therefore this "argument" is invalid from the beginning.

Point 3) Right, so that's why he won China Open easily against LCW, and lazily advanced to the finals in HK08? Give me a break. Again, the degree of participation in tourneys has nothing to do with LUCK. How asinine.