Oval->ISO transition time

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    There's bound to be people here who made the transition from traditional oval head shaped racquets to isometric heads. How long would you say it took before you felt fully at home with the new shape and its characteristics? Or maybe you gave up?

Does anyone here freely play both types?

2. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Good topic! I shall start it of. My answer is I'm still adjusting after three years. I still prefer the tradtional oval head.

3. Mark

Mark Guest

I used to play with a Pro Kennex that was 'classic' head shape. I then moved to a Yonex ISO TOUR 800 and have to say that, from memory anyway, that with 10 minutes I was happier with the isometric head design.

On a different theme, it took me a lot longer to adjust from the standard shaft length of the Yonex racket I had to the Long shaft length of the Winex Ti-12 which I have been using. But again, I am much happier with the longer shaft design now.

Mark

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    The 1st ISO racquet I used was Winex SQ-800, then follows by Yonex Slim 10. It didn't take too much time for me to adapt the Isometric head shape (as far as I remember, it was probably after a couple of games I found these ISO racquets were excellent to me).

Recently I tried to use racquets with oval head shape, e.g. Carbonex, Carlton, etc. However I found that it is more difficult for me to switch back to these racquets, i.e. switching from oval to Isometric was easy for me, but from Isometric to oval is difficult for me.

5. knock-out

knock-out Guest

I play with both types. I use a Carlton Aerogear 1000 and a Yonex Ti 7. I don't find any difficulty in transitioning back and forth. Both are great racquets, and I use both for doubles and singles. Even though the Carlton is so light, it is quite easy to get good, powerful smashes because it is easy to generate swing speed. It is very hard for me to pick my favorite between the two, so I use both of them. Lately I've been using the Yonex more cause it has newer, tighter strings, and it is difficult to find stringers in Idaho, so my Carlton suffers a little from loose string. I feel very much at home with both, and, to me, the head shape doesn't make much difference.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I interchange both types too. It doesnt make much difference to me if both are strung with same tension and string. Even with different string and tension, a 5 minute warmup session would adjust the changeover. However, i do prefer using long version for singles.

7. Don

Don Regular Member

I don't have any trouble with transition, I usually can do it on the whim. But there is the trouble of tension transition. I can never seem to be able to switch from a higher tension to a lower tension with ease and vice versa.

8. Thomas

Thomas Guest

It took me 6 months of switching back and forth and testing between the oval and the isometric headshape before finally settling for the isometric. I'm currently using the YANG YANG Titanium Tit-11 Isometric 3UG2 and it's headshape is between the Yonex Swing Power 900 and the Yonex Ti-10. This racket is suitable for all-rounder and it's fast, much faster than the Yonex Ti. So switching to this iso model is so easy.

9. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I just recently switched from Oval head rackets to Isometric shaped rackets. At first its really hard to play well because of the head shape and some weight differences.

It took me about a week only. I play twice a week for 2 hours. And occasionally on saturdays. The only advice i can give you is don't try any fancy shots like spinners and stuff like that. Make sure that you can consistantly hit the sweet spot before doing your major offesive shots.

10. MYSRH

MYSRH Guest

it took me about couple weeks to get used to it. I'm used to it now, I don't dare to turn to the oval head, but I don't mind using oval head for couple strokes.BTW, I'm using ISO500SS, anyone uses it? Any comment? how about SX one? Is IS) 800 good?

11. Mark

Mark Guest

iso 800 was my favourite racket some time ago. I'd recommend it, but play with one before buying. I use a Winex Ti-12 now, I'd recommend that two. Better balance then iso 800 and long shaft.

Mark

12. Chan

Chan Guest

I'm a rather flexible player. However, my first was a Winex oval raquet. When I immediately switched to the Yonex Ti-8 my games improved many fold, even tho the raquet was long & ISO at the same time. But switching back is no prob once you're at that level, raquet is only second. A couple of rallies and I should be good to go.