Singapore Open results

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2002' started by Mag, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I just checked the results for the first round of MS, and there were a few surprises... For instance, Pulella Gopichand only lost a total of 6 points to Lin Dan... Kenneth Jonassen lost to a to some Nikhil Kanetkar... and, less susprising perhaps, Hendrawan won over Hafiz Hashim...

Now, I noticed that there is ANOTHER Taufik Hidayat, only that this other fellow (who made it through the qualifiers but lost against Kasper Ødum in the first round) spells his name Taufiq... How's that for confusion? :) Is that a common name in Indonesia?

2. GF_Flex

GF_Flex Regular Member

IT
    Hafiz Hashim? aint that the guy who won the CW singles? Damn, what a waste.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

It was really close between Hafiz and Hendrawan. It could have gone either way. Hafiz perhaps lost out in experience. Remember that Hendrawan can vary his game whenever necessary, more so than other players. However, I am happy that Hafiz gave a good account of himself. I am surprised at Lin Dan though, anyone saw that match??

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I am also curious about the Pulella/Lin Dan match. Has Pulella found his All England form again? Or did Lin Dan suffer some sort of breakdown or injury? 15-4, 15-2 are some serious numbers...

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

We may see some change in the world order as obviously

Bao and Lin became famous because of 7 point system and both are

struggling with 15 points,very evident from Malaysian Open.

Perhaps people like Hendrawan or Gopi or Gade can do much better

in 15 point system which depends a lot on match strategy and tactics.

No wonder China prefered Chen Hong over Bao and Lin in Asian games.

6. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Online scores?

Are they available anywhere?

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
  8. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

True! Unless those agressive players like the young Chinese modified their playing style, they are likely to suffer early burnt-out.
    Same goes to Malaysians like Lee Tsuen Seng and Hafiz Hashim who made it to the top 15, thanks to the 7x5 playing system.

9. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Yes , Yes ... lets hail the return of the 'beautiful' game and forget about the sad experiment with the 'bang-bang and bye-bye' concept of the 7x5 system ...

Personally felt that it sucked ... All the players just forsaked the slow aspects of the game, the deception, the patience and the built-up for speed and power ...

My .. was I disappointed ...

10. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I wouldn't write off Bao and Lin just yet, both have some of the most most solid skills and technique that have been seen in the last several years. Perhaps it's just that they lack the experience under the 15 point system but no doubt they'll learn you must remember that both are still really young.

Lin Dan's result is a worry though, maybe he is injured even in his All England form Gopi shouldn't have beaten him that thoroughly.

11. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I don't agree with Pecheur on Gopi. In his day, he can beat ANY player in the world. He was obviously in good form yesterday as he virtually toiled and demolished Lin Dan, who have no reply at all. In the second round match, he virtually whipped Ng Wei. He was not exactly exerting himself to the limit in the second game as well.
    I am also not sure about the young stars of China faltering under the "new" old scoring. Bao was impressive in dismissing Fung Permadi & Chen Yu very nearly knocked out Wong Choon Han in the second round. CH only survived becos of his experience and fantastic cool. Chen & Bao do not lack in the skill department compared to the veterans.
    Simialarly Hafiz played a great game against Hendrawan, again maybe losing out in experience & startegy of the game.
    It is interesting that 6 M'sians featured in 6 of the 8 3rd round matches today.

BTW Tony Gunawan is now playing doubles for USA.

One problem with tournaments like this is that too many courts are used - 4 in this case. Many exciting matches were played at the same time yesterday eg. Taulfik/Boesen, Hendrawan/Susilo etc so much so that Gopichand/Ng Wei's match did not draw more than a couple of spectator at their side of the stadium.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Bao Chun Loi has very good skills. In fact one of the best after the retirement of Zhao Jian Hua and Yang Yang. Don't know about Lin Dan but he should also be excellent. Gopichand is also an excellent player, very good basic skills and intelligent player. Agree that he is one of the best actually and able to beat any player in a good day. But beating Lin, also one of the best by 6 points is something out of the ordinary.

Another issue might be coaching. I heard that Tang Xian Fu is actually doubles team coach. Can anybody tell me who is actual Chinese singles head coach?

13. modious

modious Regular Member

P.Gopichand was very good yesterday. Lin Dan didn't play well at all......

I talked to the Chinese Head Coach (Li Yongbo) yesterday and he mentioned that he was disappointed with Lin Dan's result. But he agreed that P.Gopichand played very well.

Bao Chunlai was indeed quite impressive in knocking out F.Permadi. Chen Hong played pretty well yesterday as well.

The only 2 pple whom didn't exactly lived up to expectations were Xia Xuanze and Taufik Hidayat. X.Xuanze was traliing 11-6 and 10-5 to Hendra Widjaya but won both sets eventually.

R.Susilo was pretty good, so was James Chua of Malaysia.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,1870,138879,00.html?

14. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

The website doesn't seem to update the latest results....does anyone know about the latest reesults for MD. I know it should have finished by now. MS is in the evening session if I ma not wrong.

15. richard

richard New Member

16. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Ronald Susilo continue with his giant killer run by knocking out Gopichand in straight games. The MS seems like a Chinese/M'sian affairs with them head-on in 3 of the quarter-finals.
    Will be interesting to watch the game between Chen Hong & James Chua. Also the battle between Wong CH and Bao as I remembered Wong clawed back from 2 sets and 5 points down last year to win against Bao.

17. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Yes, Ronald Susilo continues with his giant killing run, gunning down P. Gopichand in straight sets. However, I was sitting close enough to see 3 bad line calls by the line judge! 2 against Gopichand, 1 against Susilo. All were out and called in !!

And also Bao Chunlai was simply impressive today ... Didn't seem too keen on playing as he beat his opponent today in straights sets, 15-6, 15-6 if I remember correctly the score... He just seems so cool and composed in his game. Most interesting of course is the fact that his shirt was still almost dry after the match !!! My .. this kid is indeed going places !!

Well, Wong Choon Han is looking as fantastically cool as ever ! Budi Santoso made tons of errors and virtually imploded on himself ...

And my ...Trikus Haryanto is simply impressive in his doubles game ... Think he won 90% of the points !!

#17 Gladius, Aug 22, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  18. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Anyone got the latest results for the quarterfinals? Webiste is not updating again.

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Don't know the figures yet, but the semis will look like this:

MS:
    Xia Xuanze vs Chen Hong
    Ronald Susilo vs Wong Choong Hann

WS:
    Xinfang vs Zhang Ning
    Zhou Mi vs Gong Ruina

20. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

The matches between the Malaysian men and the Chinese were very close apart from the one between Wong Choong Hann and Bao Chun Lai. What a pity for James and especially for Ong. Anyway, well done to both of them. It will be interesting to see how Choong Hann can handle a hot Susilo, he really seems to be on a roll now.
    Still waiting for the men's doubles.