User Tag List

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu0n View Post
    ...LCW is now better than LD. Faster footwork, better form/technique, and stronger mental stability. His footwork and athleticism lets him to cover back court faster and allows him to jump more creating better angle than LD. From this position, he creates steeper drops and threatens his opponents with a broader spectrum of shots. He's also faster in the front allowing him to control the net with straight and cross net drops. LD can rally his players into error or win with smashes, but LCW can also win with back and front court drops. LCW's defense speaks for itself. Also, he is able to maintain mental composure during matches--he shows little to no emotion and remains focused at all times...
    "Better" is all relative...

Both LD and LCW are first-rate players; both are among my favorite players.

Panda's conclusion: while LCW is currently the #1 Men's Singles Player in the world, LD is the # 1 Men's Singles Player in history.

Here's why:

To date, LCW has never beaten LD back-to-back (or in consecutive matches head-to-head) while LD has done it 5 different times (even winning 3 consecutive head-to-head matches at two different times)!

Major Accomplishments:

LD:
    World Championships: 4 Gold, 1 Silver
    Olympics: 1 Gold, 1 Silver
    All England: 4 Gold, 3 Silver

LCW:
    World Championships: 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
    Olympics: 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
    All England: 2 Gold, 1 Silver

Head-to-Head Results: 16-8 in favor of LD

Detailed head-to-head results:
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/headtohe...906&t2p1=50152

Name:  uN05x.gif
Views: 375
Size:  47.6 KB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when did LD win a silver in OG?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    when did LD win a silver in OG?
    he didn't. he got knocked out by Ronald Susilo in the 1st around in 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at how Lin Dan celebrated his victory, I can infer that Lin Dan was relieved to be to survive and able to pull out a victory.

On the other hand, LCW was probably thinking what if?

Lin Dan was probably staring at defeat (the score was so closed going either way).

However, based on their performance in WC 2011, LD can no longer push LCW around like he did in the 2008 Olympics. The days of mismatch is over, they are real peers/equal.

Great for badminton purist to enjoy a tense/exciting see-saw match.
    Last edited by Badmintan; 08-15-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that LCW tightened up slightly towards the end of the match, too many unforced errors. The way I see them is like this.. LCW is the better technical player and a little bit quciker/fitter however I think LD is slightly better naturally - there are things he does that are basd on instinct and I think is is the difference... it's a very small difference though, I think LCW will begin to beat LD more, I think the change of coach has helped him loads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lin Dan has that 1% of experience. Easy as that. It could go either way.

Let's just enjoy it and hope to see more in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rykard View Post
    I think that LCW tightened up slightly towards the end of the match, too many unforced errors. The way I see them is like this.. LCW is the better technical player and a little bit quciker/fitter however I think LD is slightly better naturally - there are things he does that are basd on instinct and I think is is the difference... it's a very small difference though, I think LCW will begin to beat LD more, I think the change of coach has helped him loads.
    disagree

LCW's game is build on speed and constant running. that's how he can get behind and strike the deadly cross-courts.
    He has all-round game and the glaring weakness is his net-play.

LD's game is buld on power, reflexes and intelligence. that's how he chooses the best time to explode and pounce on any weak shots. net play is more natural and tight. he can also defend and runs well.

come to think of it, LCW is a good player while LD is the ultimate player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    he didn't. he got knocked out by Ronald Susilo in the 1st around in 2004.
    That was perhap's Singapore's best contribution, hahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, I would rate, yangyang, zjh, lsk and frost at the top. Since I have seen them play. So, those of you who haven't seen them play, you cannot comment much. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointless thread, I think all of us already know how good of a player Lin Dan is, not just in this time but in all history who has achieved the most and has qualities that no other MS players have. He was pretty much born for this sport and I don't think any other MS player in China will be able to live up to his achievements. Not my favourite player, but it's quite obvious.

Lee Chong Wei is close, but is always one step behind Lin Dan for a long time unless he can overcome his fear. Whenever he plays Lin Dan, he doesn't play his usual game and starts making mistakes he normally wouldn't and you can see it in his eyes. I honestly thought he would be confident by now after so much intensive training and winning, but in the final yesterday he was surprisingly passive... He's very fit, so I don't understand where his speed and consistency went... must be the pressure, again. It was pretty much the repeat of OG 2008, except Lin Dan not in his best form, but Lee Chong Wei still unable to captivate.
    Last edited by Heong; 08-15-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    oh, I would rate, yangyang, zjh, lsk and frost at the top. Since I have seen them play. So, those of you who haven't seen them play, you cannot comment much. lol.
    i have seen them play, in fact since aik huang days.
    and even though those were very good players and you simply cannot compare players from different eras based on skills/playing style etc...
    those are subjective and depends also on the equipment technology.

however one thing that can be compared is the number of titles and level of dominance.
    we shldn't also start so early as many nations like China did not participate in world badminton much.

a good point to start wld be in the 80s when most nations are already represented.

nobody since then had racked up so many titles and dominated their opponents like Super Dan.
    first he disposed of taufik and now holds off LCW.
    no singles player in the world can touch LCW now, and LD pawns LCW.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The recent performances of LD did not inspire.

LCW appears to be more dominant and their next meeting, if ever, will be a very interesting one. My bet is on LCW.
    LCW has disappointed me. I was reminded that he held match point twice but failed to convert!
    It's all in his head. He could defeat Chen Jin so convincingly, yet faulter at the last hurdle when facing his greatest rival LD!

I now wonder whether he could secure MAS's first gold medal at next year's London Olympics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    LCW has disappointed me. I was reminded that he held match point twice but failed to convert!
    It's all in his head. He could defeat Chen Jin so convincingly, yet faulter at the last hurdle when facing his greatest rival LD!

I now wonder whether he could secure MAS's first gold medal at next year's London Olympics.
    Yup, the whole Mas is disappointed with with loss of LCW yesterday night. But LUCK was just not on his side yesterday. I'm sure LCW himself can't stop wondering what went wrong for him as he was so close yet so far to win the WC title.
    To me, his mental block is still not strong enough in yesterday's 3rd set crucial match point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people keep either criticizing Lee Chong Wei for losing or Lin Dan for losing? Let's face it, since 2010 Lin Dan has been playing at a far lower level than in 2004-2009. We can see now that a player like Lee Chong Wei, when he is no longer completely dominated by Lin Dan, can now win nearly every tournament he enters and get Match Records of the year of around 45-2 so far (similar to what Lin Dan can get, even though he is unable to play well any more); this very same player used to lose 21-8 to Lin Dan when Lin Dan was playing well. That just goes to show how brilliant Lin Dan was. Now, nearing the end of his career, he's lost a lot of skill, but even now his abilities and mental strength are enough to enable him to be on fairly equal terms with Lee Chong Wei (someone who can beat the World #4 by a score of 21-13, 21-9) and even beat that person on the important occasions (in fact, I would say that Lee Chong Wei played just as well yesterday as he did before in the 2011).

I would certainly agree that, looking at his overall career, Lin Dan has is the greatest badminton player of all-time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think mod should put something like years of badminton observations in their status. This helps to identify who are the old timers. We need to be fair to the older folks and respect them. Many are current observers. In future when there is a Dan Lin appears, then people will say Dan Lin is the best of 'all-time'. IMO.

I know some may fake it. lol. At least their comments can be judge as to how matured they are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lin Dan still needs to collect the Indonesian and Malaysian Opens

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod View Post
    I would certainly agree that, looking at his overall career, Lin Dan has is the greatest badminton player of all-time.
    If we go back to read from Post #1 to this post, you would find that we could not conclude that Lin Dan 'is the best player in human history'. Why? I would say that it's because he hasn't captured ALL the BIGGEST National Opens yet.

Lin Dan still needs to collect the Indonesian and Malaysian Opens. So many times he had tried but failed.

Hope that he could perhaps do it next year (2012); And Badminton fans from these 2 countries would then say "WOW, Lin Dan has also collected our National title; He is our National Champion too".
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 08-15-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast