Could you be professional?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mr M Cross, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Mr M Cross

Mr M Cross Regular Member

Student
    Could I be professional, thats what I ask myself alot. I 'am 16 years old and and I read play the game very well. I play town team and in a high division in a league. I used to play badminton up to four times a week but now only twice. I want to be professional so badly and with training I could be, and thats what really annoys me, the lack of willing people to coach, dedicate and teach me. what will it take for me at 16 to be professional in the future.

(I know I could be, Lee Chong Wei started at 11 and so did I)

2. RichF

RichF Regular Member

3. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    If you want my advice - never give up, anything is possible. Are you involved in the county squad in any capacity? To make professional from 16 you really need to be ranked in the top 5 juniors for your age group now to be recognised. Also, join a club that is the best in the area and that has county links, finally invest in quality coaching. If youre to make it now, you have to throw everything at it. Before you do though, be honest with yourself, is it really likely you will make it? Those who are currently no.1 juniors dont always make it. You have to be 100% sure its what you want, giving up your life to train hard and also be prepared it wont work out. Lee Chong wei is an exceptional talent and things work totally differently where he comes from. Sadly, badminton england are some what behind the times a little allthough they are beginning to address that.

As for me, I woul love to be professional but I know i have no chance of making it at 25 so Im happy to stick with senior county level and also coaching.

Feel free to ask any questions. Ill be happy to help if i can.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, I'd definately say "stick with it" and "always try your hardest"... But I think you might be in alittle ver your head if you want to compare yourself to Lee Chong Wei...

LCW is an exceptional talent with a hard-working nature, like all top-players are (talent alone hardly cuts it) and was also discovered at quite an early age. Instead of looking at the top, look somewhere else;

One also has to consider the worldclass players from the ranking postiion 20-300. Do they not work their hardest? Do they not spent enough time on court? Did they not have a great future ahead of them when they were young (much like yourself).

Knowing some of these people personally, and having spoken to some. They are putting a large part of their lives into the game, and are enjoying every minute of it. But some don't get to play the WC, the Olympics, some hardly see the spotlight whilst some do get the breaks.
    Becoming a pro (if there even is such a hard-cut transition) is not just brusting into the top 10. It's a long road on which you will probably always have to look upto other players who are miles ahead of you.

My Advice to you (for how much it's worth form someone barely 3 years older, and still daydreaming of badminton at the highest level myself. I'm in a somewhat comparable situation, but not quite) is to keep the motivation and work hard, but don't stare at the top 10 spots too much ;)

#4 jerby, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009