Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by norcalstringer, Mar 10, 2009.

1. norcalstringer

norcalstringer Regular Member

I'm somewhat new to BC but I have about 14 years of experience playing badminton. I picked up the sport in high school and I've really spent a lot of time learning on the courts trying to improve. I am proud to say that I am a badminton addict or "baddict".

My first racket was a Yonex ISO 800 which I played with for 10 years until it finally broke. So, I ended up buying the Armortec 700 which was a major upgrade to my game after being with the ISO 800 for so long! :)

Thanks for reading!

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCDF, norcalstringer!:)..Looking at your screen-name, i take it you're also a baddy stringer??..Yeah, you can say the majority of BCers are baddy followers. But i think most of us can be considered "BC-addict"...:p
    Whereabouts in NorCal are you residing?
    Anyway, keep visiting us and enjoy surfing here!;):cool:

3. norcalstringer

You're correct, sir! :) I am a stringer as I have been stringing for the past 8 years although I don't have one of those cool, expensive stringers. :D Currently, I have an old Gamma stringer but it still works. LOL!

I live in the Bay Area and I play at GGBC in Emeryville. We're blessed to have several badminton dedicated gyms in the area but GGBC is my favorite. Everyone is friendly and it is not hard to pick up a game if you are by yourself.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Btw..^

..i just noticed you've been a member here since 2004..:p
    Yeah, heard about all those baddy clubs up in NorCal..Do you think they should get some kind of an international baddy tourney up there, considering the large amount of baddy followers in the Bay/NorCal area. I think they deserve to get one of those tourneys. If, SoCal can do it, so can NorCal, agree??..:)

5. norcalstringer

Yes, I have been a member for some time but I'm slowly coming out of my shell. :D

Yes, I completely agree that we should have some kind of international tournament. The closest thing so far was the recent U.S. team trials at GGBC in Menlo Park. I didn't get a chance to attend but the team trials is a good start in terms of an international tournament wanting to consider the Bay Area as a venue. One day.....:)

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Do you know..^^

..i was literally standing and sitting in one of the halls @ the San Jose Convention Center, abt a year ago, and as i was looking around, up, down, i could see an international badminton tourney being held in there with literally thousands of people watching. I think the NorCal area has more baddy enthusiasts than SoCal...Do you know there's a high possibility BWF is going to hold a U.S. Super Series next yr??..They are in a review process this yr on which of the existing Super Series will be replaced.

#6 ctjcad, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. norcalstringer

Do you remember what tournament that was in San Jose? I didn't realize there had been an international tournament.

As far as a Super Series event in the U.S., I would love to attend that one! Although, for some reason, I'm betting that SoCal would get the nod for the venue given that OCBC is a popular spot and the World Championships were held in Anaheim. But, there are certainly a few places up here that could hold a Super Series event nicely e.g. San Jose Convention Center, Oakland Coliseum, etc. I'll have to schedule vacation when the tournament does arrive here:D

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh..^^

..nooo, it wasn't a tournament...I wish if it was, though..:p

Oakland Coliseum??...Wanna try outdoor badminton??..:eek:
    The Pond in Anaheim, where they held the 2005 WC, is too big, imo. Plus one has to travel quite a few distance to find shopping or food complex.
    I think the San Jose Convention Center is a "perfect" place. Not too small, and not too big. plus it's near shopping, restaurant complex as well as it's in a nice part of city.
    Of course, the owner of this forum lives not too far from SJCC. Probably within a walking distance...;)

#8 ctjcad, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  9. norcalstringer

:) I meant the Oakland Coliseum where the Golden State Warriors play where its an enclosed stadium. LOL! I agree that SJ convention would be a perfect venue. From there, you're within 30 minutes of at least 4 badminton dedicated gyms. Have you been out here to check out our facilities?

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh..^^

..okay. I was thinking of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum then.:p

Yeah, i was there last yr and had a chance to kill some birdies. I only played at the Smash City BC, which i believe is the closest one to SJCC.:cool:
    Wanted to visit & say hi to Sally Yeh at GGBC1, but just didn't have time....:(
    Are there other enclosed stadium venues in the San Francisco area, i mean smack down in SF??..:confused:

11. norcalstringer

There's the Cow Palace on the outskirts of San Francisco but it's not smack down in SF. But, if they were to have a Super Series event in SF, the Cow Palace isn't that from the San Francisco Airport (SFO). So, players and spectators really won't have that far of a drive from SFO; I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes.

Too bad you weren't able to visit GGBC1 but it'll be there for the next time you visit. I've never been to Smash City but I know there's some tremendous talent out there. How did you like it?

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm..^^

..never been to the Cow Palace. For a second, I thought it's in Sac-town, more suited to Sacramento>>Cow-town???..;)

Yeah, Smash City BC was fun. We were fortunate as the wait time wasn't too long. I was planning to go the extra mile, but i had limited time. I know my pardner wanted to play more and kill more birdies, though, but we decided to save the birdies. The place was quite full, as they also reserved several courts for personal training session.
    Yeah, next time when i'm traveling up to NorCal, maybe i'll reserve the whole weekend to go club hopping.;)

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi , welcome to the forum!:)

14. norcalstringer

Now that's sounds like a good idea! So many clubs, so little time. Where do you play?

15. norcalstringer

Thanks George! I'm a longtime reader but I'm not a big poster but as part of my resolution this year, I plan on doing more posting. I see you have a quite a bit of posts. You must have a wealth of badminton knowledge!:D Having said that, what skill would you teach to a beginner that you feel would be the most valuable to their development?

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, sure.
    hope you post more of this forum though!:)
    hehe.
    hmm, i would suggest you to focus most on your weak part in badminton.
    practice it more often to be better:)
    cheers!:)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Asking me??..

..where do i play??..my playing location is about nearly 400 milies to your south...;)

As for george@chongwei, he's on a mission to chase and break cooler's & kwun's all time BC posts record..:cool:

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi norcalstringer,
    welcome back......... :)

after being silent for 5 years, or should i say after 5 years of higher skill learning of badminton, please do share more with us. :D

19. norcalstringer

LOL!:D That's quite a task to break those records.

So, I take it you either play at OCBC or San Gabriel Badminton club? I haven't been to either but I plan on being down south in Irvine on March 23. I talked to Tim at OCBC and she said that Tuesday and Thursdays were the busiest. I need to find out which gym is closer.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh..^^

Which gym is closer to where??
    If closer to Disneyland, then it's OCBC..
    If closer to hundreds of Asian restaurants, then it's SGVBC..;)

..if you're staying in Irvine, then OCBC is the closest one. To forewarn you, it's a very nice baddy club, so be prepared...
    Oh, you can give our DinkAlot a PM and ask him if he wants to join you playing. He lives in Orange County..

Personally, i try to find places to play where i don't have to drop a nickel (very once in a while i'll play at SGVBC). There's actually another one, but it's closer to SGVBC..And yes, fortunately, there are still a few here in the L.A. area...:cool: