Ashaway Superlight 79SQ

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by SheepJumpFish, Mar 10, 2009.

1. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    I know there is another post about this but it is really old and does not have much about the racket,racquet?, so I would like to ask:
    Is it good for a defensive player
    Is it durable
    Is it worth the money,very expersive £75+
    Can you get alot of power out of it
    And just generally do you like it and is it good

Also can you find anywhere to buy it cheaper then Amazon(£78) that is reliable in Britain.

Thanks for helpful responses

2. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Your definitions of 'really old' and 'not much about the racket' are codswallop - all your questions except where to get it cheaper are answered in that thread, so there REALLY is no need to create another.

As for where to get it, might I direct you to the wonderful invention of the search engine.

Google Ashaway and at the top of the list you'll find the Ashaway website. On the website you'll find a list of retailers, many of whom have online shops selling rackets cheaper than the RRP.

But then again, it's easier to ask someone else to do everything for you right?

3. Leggy

Leggy Regular Member

Again i direct you to the useless poster, rather then helping feels the urge to make the person seeking advice look stupid! Well done, your amazing.

try www.centralsports.co.uk they used to stock them but i havent checked recently.

Also from what i know hear about it its a very good racket if you like your rackets superlight. Its headlight, so would assume its pretty good in defense best thing u can do is try to find a local retailer and they might let u try b4 u buy.

Hope it helps

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    @mhigham: fair comment, but kind of harsh don't you think?

@everyone else:
    sweatband.com / sweatbandbadminton.co.uk is about the cheapest source (£69), and they're a very good shop - really fast delivery, and no extra shipping charge when you get to the checkout (on rackets at least).

Try before you buy is pretty unlikely in UK, I think.
    Anyone know how the T5SQ compares to the 79SQ, besides being marginally heavier?

5. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Leggy - On one hand you condemn my sarchastic comment(s), then make one yourself?

Every one the OP's questions has been answered already - why create another thread? Admittedy I could have made this point in a kinder manner.

Mark

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You may also like to consider the Karakal MTEC70 or SL70.

Very similar racket for £48.00 inc vat P&P from www.watdon.co.uk

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

PS. no I'm not on commission.

8. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    hi

I was also interested in this racket but have decided not to go for it...from the information that i have collected about it from the ashaway website, badminton central, user reviews and an ashaway rep at the all England I have come to the following conclusion:

1-Very light racket with a headlight set up
    2-Excellent for defence with reasonable to good power (player type dependant)
    3-Looks good but that’s in the eye of the beholder
    4-Is not a durable racket "is the least durable racket of the ashaway range" (ashaway rep) It's lack of durability is also mentioned by a user in another post
    5- Supplies at the moment are very low but some people do seem to have it
    6-Cheapest price is from directsports for £62 i think:D

hope this helps

9. SheepJumpFish

Student
    Mhingham I was only bloody asking because I wanted to see if anyone had anything to add as the last reply was quite a while ago and I didn't think that everything I asked was answered before, maybe I should have read more carefully.
    I'm sorry for causing you the inconvienence of having to write out some more replies and hope you except my deepest apologies.

10. SheepJumpFish

Student
    About the SL 70 is it more durable then the Ashaway because they both seam similar on most things and I don't really want to have to replace any racquets for as long as possible (atleast a year)

11. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    any racket will last longer than a year if you avoid clashes and stringing at excess tension, the general exception being if you possess a very strong smash.

Similarly, if you play 7 days a week it won't last as long as if you play once a fortnight.

12. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    There wasnt really a reason for you answering like that. If you don't like the thread then why dont you ignore it? There was no need to embarrass and make the thread starter feel like crap.

But then again, It's easier to leave sarcastic comments rather than just ignore things for you right? ;)

13. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    He got his answer, which he wouldn't have got had I ignored the post.

The very criticism you are levelling at me, you are guilty of yourself. You are the second person to show such hypocrisy. Secondly, I already admitted I could have been more polite, so to criticise after I've done this is pretty much stupid.

I have little time for people who expect everyone else to do the work for them, especially when to find the answers required such little effort.

14. Armor_tec_14

I only responded because i thought you were being unfair.
    And if you have little time for them then why WASTE your time and reply to the post then? Doesn't make sense if you ask me.

15. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I have lots of thoughts, but it doesn't mean I narrate them all in a forum.

I don't see it as a WASTE (thanks for the caps) of time, but it took me all of 5 mins to search every approved retailer on the Ashaway website, which is considerably less time than it took to get the first response on here.

i.e. he would have been quicker looking himself.

16. Armor_tec_14

No problem about the caps. Any time :cool:;)
    Well..To end it, I just feel like you were a little unfair. I never saw that you had already admitted you could have been nicer so sorry for that but no need to leave such sarcastic comments. Is there really any need?

17. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The Mtec is ISO, the SL is oval. Its rather difficult to compare the durability of any racket. Mine is tensioned at 24x26 with BG-80 and remains clash free!
    Recently I broke two Victor Rackets just with smashes but were likely damaged by clashes previously. One was IW5000, the other ATB6000.

The Karakal SL & Mtec are very popular.

18. SheepJumpFish

Student
    OK so if anyone has a Ashaway Superlight 79SQ and a Karakal SL 70 or have just played with both, which is better? Could you give reasons aswell because they are my 2 options, i'm swaying towards karakal because I already have one and its good and the SL 70 is alot cheaper then the 79SQ. Also is the SL 70 actually 70 grams because my Karakal was said to be 80g but when I got it was about 90-92g.
    THanks

19. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I think the weight of all rackets is given without string and grip tape.

I've tried many rackets before including most that I string for other people.

I have to say that the SL-70 is superbly light and is one of my favourites for years! But then I like a light racket for doubles. It may not be your preference