Thick Grip Vs. Thin

Discussion in 'Grip' started by huchmo, Mar 12, 2009.

1. huchmo

huchmo Regular Member

student
    Hi
    Does a thicker grip give an advantage/disadvantage to playing or is it just a comfortablilty preference Thank you

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    thicker grips have have more durability than thin grips and has more confort

3. jebatdurhaka

jebatdurhaka Regular Member

my level is slightly better than beginner .. :D

moderation and fit, are the key here .. not too thin, and not too thick. based on my limited experience. smaller grip .. is better for finger power and wrist play. thicker grip .. is more towards, arm-based player ..

hopefully it helps ..:p

4. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Thicker grip = more of an arm based player as jebatdurhaka said, as well as a more smash oriented player becuase it makes it easier to smash (I think)

Smaller Grip = more wrist motion, as well as easier deceptions and changes in grip (it is easier to move and switch grips on a smaller handle)

insular likes this.
  5. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I noticed this week when i tried using apacs super pu grip, that a thicker grip definitly makes a difference. I couldnt snap the racket at all, and my smash quality went out the window. Im now going back to regular over grip, but ill still be trying out some super pu since i got a couple left.

6. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    agree.....but also depend on the your palm size :D

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes thicker grip is suited towards an arm based player , but can also help stopping tennis elbow.But the thicker the grip does amake the overall weight slightly more head light.

Thinner grip is suited towards wrist play , decption. This may make it easier to develope tennis elbow. Thinner grips do loose durability quickly , and so you may need to change them. Thing grips are also slight head heavy compared to thick grips. And for singles people may want to have a more head heavy racket :D (everything makes a difference)

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    using thick or thin grip doesnt necessary depending on your palm size. may use electrical tape to enlarge handle size then put-on thin overgrip.
    thin grip - better control than thick cushy grip
    thick grip - some loves the thick cushion feel.

9. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Can not agree more..

I thought I will put in my 2 cents worth of comment from experience.

There seem always 3 topics of discussion revolving the grip discussions:
    -racquet balance affected by grip build up
    -size of the grip
    -thickness of the grip

Player always asked whether the extra over grip will change the balance of racquet and make it head light? Yes, it does. The real question is, does it make that much of change? Imagine 2 slash hammers, both with overall identical weight and balance, but one of the hammer has a handle half of the size of the other one. When swinging both of them, the one with half size handle will FEEL much more head heavy compare to the full size handle hammer.
    The head heaviness feeling is also related to how comfortable someone feel they could have a good grip on the handle. The physical weight change of adding an over grip is actual very small, is the sense of having a securer grip on the handle giving the player that head light (ie, in control) feeling.

If I have not bore you out with this BS, read on …………….

What size of grip should I use? This could be the most subjective part of the discussion, based on my explanation above, we should use the Biggest grip we could put one the handle. Not really, usually, the bigger the handle, the tighter the player could able to grip the racquet, that also tighten up the forearm muscles which would reduce the flexibility, range of rotation and speed of the wrist could generate. In result, a slower racquet head speed.

What thickness of the grip should I use? “I like 3 over grip on the original grip, such a cushy feeling………..”. Again, this comes down to personal preference, but I will approach this from a performance player’s point. Badminton is game of feeling and speed, I think most of us agreed the topic players in the world all have very good feel regardless they have been classified as FEEL player or POWER player. Have good feel requires the good feed back from the racquets, then what is “feed back from the racquets”? At least from what I have been taught and experience, feed back is the vibration from the racquet hitting the shuttle transfer through the string, racquet frame, shift, grip than to player’s hand.
    Thinner the grip allow player to feel more of the vibration (feed back), thicker the grip will dampen most vibration as also the feed back.

A lot of top level players (particularly Asian trained) tend to use relatively thin grip, some of them even have part of their handle in bare wood.

If you are a highly performance oriented player, this is what you could try, the smallest and thinnest grip you could handle provided your body and game play is not suffering from the result of overly small/thin grip.

Ted

edogaktop likes this.
  10. takumifujiwara

takumifujiwara Regular Member

Full-time uni student
    For me its quite the opposite from everyone else.

IMO, Thinner grip = better control and maneuverability, better feeling(feedback) and thus better smash.

Have no comment on thick grips, cause i don't like to use them. The thicker the grips are for me the worst that I play.

I guess at the end you just have to try it out yourself and most important of all is personal preference.

11. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    There is an old gentleman at my club on a Thursday night. Although he's now in his seventies he is still one hell of a player. You can easily tell that he was an excellent player in his youth. Anyway, he uses a Wilson V2 racket. His grip consists of three standard PU grips wrapped on top of one another. I swear to God, his racket must have a balance point of around 120mm... I kid you not. The thing is, it's actually very comfortable to use. I think he has his grip like that to protect his elbow. I tried smashing a few birdies with it and felt now shortage of power either.

12. flite

flite Regular Member

What is the difference by using a layer of electrical tape and a thin overgrip on top of it compared to just 1 layer of thick grip? Kindly enlighten me.

It seems that you are going round in circles as the rest has crossed the finishing line. The point here is the finished grip size they are talking about and not the thickness of the grip itself. Your explanation for thin and thick doesn't help either.

All has been explained by poster #3,4 and 7. They gave a more in depth and knowledgeable explanation don't you think?

#12 flite, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hence, you are more experience in this subject, you may guide me.
    if all been explained, is it time to close this thread?

14. druss

druss Regular Member

The difference is due to how hard the grip will be. A thick over grip would have a very good cushion like feel but some may not like that. Using tape but with a thin over grip will get you the same over all diameter of grip but give you a hard feel which some like in order to feel feedback better.

Quite frankly, that was quite easy to understand and did not require such a patronizing response from you.

MervC likes this.
  15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I notice that with a thicker grip overlay, the handle will lose its bevel definition

To me, I always need to know where my racket head is facing when I hold my racket (even with my eyes closed).

I notice that with a thicker grip overlay, the handle will lose its bevel definition. Therefore, I always choose a thinner grip overlay.

#15 chris-ccc, Feb 11, 2011
  16. flite

flite Regular Member

Exactly.

Btw, you are already in the good list of the mods.

#16 flite, Feb 11, 2011
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Which means....?

I thought post #9 provided the clearest explanation given that the OP talked about thickness of grip rather than size of the grip. I guess to clarify ambiguity, the "size" could the diameter of the grip handle....

I avoid the thick spongy, grips for the same reason as chris. I use two thin grips to build up to my preferred diameter of grip handle. Note that I have already removed the original leather grip from my Yonex G4 handle.

18. kokmengng

kokmengng Regular Member

Just out of interest to know if there is any THICK over-grip in the market? When i say THICK means i expect it to be THICKER than the thickness of the normal over-grip currently in the market. Feel free to comment. :)

19. trapatoni

trapatoni Regular Member

students
    i combine both thin and thick grip...thick at the base,thin on the middle and thick again at the top.

20. kokmengng

kokmengng Regular Member

Bro trapatoni,

For your case, your grip is VERY THICK. xD

The reason i ask because i recently found that my SW37 feels a lot stiffer if i put on just a thin layer of over-grip as compare with a layer of replacement grip on top of the original grip.

Personally, i prefer to use over-grip because my original grip will still be in good shape no matter how many times i change the over-grip. :p