Congratulations Tony Gunawan

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2002' started by ALI, Aug 22, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. Congratulations Tony Gunawan for reaching the last eight of Singapore Open. It's really glad that he finally have the opportunity to reach this level at a 5* Tournament after he migrated to USA. Hope he will be able to give a hard time, or even win his opponents, Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon. And, :D hope I would be able to perform like Tony Gunawan and my partner would be able to perform like Candra Wijaya (during the Olympic Games) in my upcoming tournament:p . Congratulations, Tony Gunawan!!!

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    According to an article on IBF site, the Indonesian officials planned to protest Tony's involvement in the tourney.

"However, this deal seems to be a problem to Indonesian officials, as indicated by a local newspaper from Indonesia on Thursday in which PBSI Chairman Chairul Tanjung was quoted as saying he would be sending a letter both to IBF and USBA asking them to ban Tony Gunawan from playing under the US flag after this Singapore Open, arguing that the initial contract was that he could only coach and spar with the US national team."

But Tony wasn't representing the US as the Open is not a team event but rather individual's event. I think it's a bunch of b*** that they (the Indonesians) are not happy that their players are not able to reach the quarter finals. Tony also indicated that he won't be playing in the Indonesian Open as he has to return to the US to attend school.

3. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    PBSI is so inconsiderate

I'm very mad after reading World Badminton's article. PBSI is just crazy. They are just too inconsiderate. Tony Gunawan had done so much for Indonesia. Now, he plays the Singapore Open just to get some money, not to represent US. Can't PBSI even allow him to do that?

4. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    well... I think PBSI is just way too exaggerated, I mean com'on, let Tony help U.S. a little bit. If you ever pay attention on U.S. team, there is not a single native player in U.S. team, all of them are outcomer like Tony. If Tony can get U.S. some gold metal, there might be some badminton coverage soon on the TV in U.S.